Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

A few construction pix form the other day.

1501 Demonbreun back side

mQZ90L2.jpg

I just want to cringe when I look at that "shed" behind 1515. I'm sure the new tenants in that building aren't going to want to stare at it either. Would be a great spot for a small park.

That property was a sore spot for a lot of people and there was a law suit blocking eminent domain, and I guess I will say rightly so. The owner would not sell and now if she ever does, will not get anything close to what she was offered in the beginning.

That may be a great place for a food truck park.

I just want to cringe when I look at that "shed" behind 1515. I'm sure the new tenants in that building aren't going to want to stare at it either. Would be a great spot for a small park.

I like it, it's a fun quirky thing on the streetscape and there's a funny story behind it.  Not cringe worthy IMHO.  And not likely to change any time soon either.  Reminds me of that one lonely house on Bedford Ave in Green Hills that is surrounded by new commercial development, presumably they refuse to sell.

Edited by Neigeville2
  • Like 1

Love that!  I just recently saw Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds down at the Masonic Temple in Midtown Detroit recently, and, while it's true that many parts of the city look very rough, there were very clear signs of a revival happening.  I honestly think Detroit is getting set to bounce back in a big way.  They even have a light rail system planned!  Suck on that, "it city"!!!  :)

Love that! I just recently saw Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds down at the Masonic Temple in Midtown Detroit recently, and, while it's true that many parts of the city look very rough, there were very clear signs of a revival happening. I honestly think Detroit is getting set to bounce back in a big way. They even have a light rail system planned! Suck on that, "it city"!!! :)

you misspelled "under construction", my friend!

ML7NW6Bh.jpg

• Like 1

We finally beat detroit in the playoffs and they run away to the eastern conference.

kidding

here's a very interesting article about the recovering parts of detroit and some of the remaining and thriving communities

http://www.buzzfeed.com/drewphilp/why-i-bought-a-house-in-detroit-for-500#2d4aqws

I thought Detroit's old Masonic Temple had been shuttered--good to hear it is back in use. It is the largest Masonic Temple in the world. A wonderfully creepy old building, complete with an indoor pool so poorly designed they were never allowed to fill, having been warned it would collapse the building! (I played there several times with Broadway musical tours)

• Like 1

I thought Detroit's old Masonic Temple had been shuttered--good to hear it is back in use. It is the largest Masonic Temple in the world. A wonderfully creepy old building, complete with an indoor pool so poorly designed they were never allowed to fill, having been warned it would collapse the building! (I played there several times with Broadway musical tours)

It was a stunning building.  They regularly have concerts in the auditorium portion...really not sure what, if anything, happens in the rest of the building!  haha

How's the immediate area around the Masonic now? Last time I was there was 2009 (but at the Opera House). Hope the Masonic 'hood has improved. So much evidence of the once great city that WAS. Lots to overcome for a complete comeback.

It's still pretty rough...not in the sense that it's dangerous or anything, but just in the sense that there are still a lot of shuttered old buildings and empty lots around the immediate area.  But there is a definite buzz around there and I know that in the larger Midtown area there are many new proposals.  There is an AMAZING proposal for a new Red Wings/possibly Pistons arena with surrounding entertainment district on the table that I hear has a good shot of being approved.  It would seriously transform things there and fill in a TON of empty space. 

Check this bad boy out: 

New_Red_Wings_arena_unveiled_1821120000_

I realize the aversion to that logo around Nashville haha, but any enthusiast of urban development has to be excited about what is happening in Detroit right now. 

Edited by BnaBreaker