Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

20 hours ago, Baronakim said:

I had a nutty idea years ag i would like to share as far as riverfront development. All along Gay Street, the river bank is quite steep as seen in the old illustration I posted a couple of days ago  I think that it would be fantastic to develop thse bluffs as an urban rock climbing venue for lunchtime use by city office workers.  Right now this is a wasteland of garbage and litteral crap from the homeless.  This would be a good justification to clean it up and make use of it.  Other cities have climbing walls in their parks...why can't we?

abutment[1].jpg

abutment_fence[1].jpg

ffff.jpg

But that's the original rock base wall from that early suspension bridge across the Cumberland. That should be declared historic and protected, not have people climbing it. 

4 minutes ago, Auntie Yock said:

But that's the original rock base wall from that early suspension bridge across the Cumberland. That should be declared historic and protected, not have people climbing it. 

“ Historic “ buildings and structures are preserved and reused for “modern “ life all the time. Take for instance the buildings on 2nd avenue. There could be a section of the wall preserved and a plaque installed to give a historical view, but the areas around it used in ways like @Baronakim mentioned. It would be a far better use of that area , then it’s current use.

On 2/8/2022 at 8:34 AM, Auntie Yock said:

Actually that is incorrect.  The suspension bridge site was iimediately adjacent to the upstream side of the Woodland Street Bridge. This abuttment is much older and is the original truss bridge built in the first decade of the 19th century.  I posted a long article on the river bank history in the thread "The Nashville I Remember".. For new folks, there are many long historical topics as well as in "Old Nashville Treasures" i created back in 2019.  The threads are on page 7.  Subjects have lots of old photos and cover a broad range of history like "the Arcade", "Downtown Shopping". The Riverfront", "Sulfur Dell", The Maxwell House"...etc.  These old posts will be very informative to newcomers to Nashville ans on this forum.  I have personally scrambled all over the riverbanks and also located the remains of the abuttment on the East Bank.  I never intended to have people climbing on it, just the adjacent rocky bluffs Auntie.  It does have a historical marker up top and I showed it to show how steep the banks are  as opposed to the  banks at the foot of Broadway where steamboats landed.  No, I meant from the abuttement  to the beginning of Gay Street as a park area accessible from the riverbanks below and only a small area of the steepest bluff for climbing.  IMO the development and cleanup of this stretch of the banks would make an excellent park of historical significance.  Here is another view showing  that area.  A green tree covered park there would be a great contrast to the adjacent urban density.  There was a proposal for some sort of floating escapade  down at river level a couple of years ago I recall.

bridge.jpg.430d9a9b24a8daec3d44c99b8c4ed492.jpg

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^Ah, excuse me, I thought that was the suspension bridge abutment. Folks want to climb on the bluffs, that's fine. I thought you were proposing folks climbing that historic wall, which was a little concerning. :blink:

5 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

“ Historic “ buildings and structures are preserved and reused for “modern “ life all the time. Take for instance the buildings on 2nd avenue. There could be a section of the wall preserved and a plaque installed to give a historical view, but the areas around it used in ways like @Baronakim mentioned. It would be a far better use of that area , then it’s current use.

True, but you don't go climbing up the outer walls of said historic buildings on 2nd!

Edited by Auntie Yock
Grammar
  • Like 1