Economic Development in South Carolina

goodbye

From August 2010 to August 2011, 61 of the nation's 100 largest metro areas saw increases in manufacturing jobs. Greenville experienced an increase of 2.36% in manufacturing jobs, going from 38,200 jobs to 39,100 jobs and is clearly the leading metro in the state for manufacturing jobs. Among the 100 largest metros, it ranked 34th in percent change and 32nd in change in raw numbers. Charleston saw an uptick of 3.85% in manufacturing, going from 21,600 jobs from 20,800 jobs. It ranked 19th in percent change and 36th in raw numbers. Columbia, from my perspective, was a shocker: it experienced an 8.58% increase in manufacturing jobs, going from 26,800 jobs to 29,100 jobs. It ranked fourth in percent change and 15th in raw numbers.

From August 2010 to August 2011, 61 of the nation's 100 largest metro areas saw increases in manufacturing jobs. Greenville experienced an increase of 2.36% in manufacturing jobs, going from 38,200 jobs to 39,100 jobs and is clearly the leading metro in the state for manufacturing jobs.

I assume Spartanburg saw a large increase as well with BMW's continued hiring. I wish we could see those stats.

This confirms the info. in my prior post. Assuming this isn't derailed, Continental Tire will build a plant in Sumter County. http://www.wltx.com/news/article/153485/2/Sources-Deal-Close-to-Bring-1700-2000-Jobs-to-Sumter

Great potential news and a much-needed shot in the arm for Sumter. Looks like tire manufacturers have a thing for the central part of the state as far as manufacturing (Bridgestone, Michelin [which had an expansion back in the spring], Continental) and the northern part of the state as far as headquarters (Michelin NA HQ's in Greenville, Continental NA HQ's in Lancaster County).

I assume Spartanburg saw a large increase as well with BMW's continued hiring. I wish we could see those stats.

I'll see what I can dig up.

The official announcement is expected tomorrow, but it looks like Sumter County won the Continental deal. Sumter and Brunswick County, N.C., had been in an economic-development tussle over the plant, which will make tires for passenger vehicles. Officials in both states last week they were finalizing bids for the project. However, N.C. officials said Tuesday that South Carolina had won the deal.

More good news for the Midlands: Universal Trade Solutions Inc. and affiliate Fraley & Schilling Inc. announced Wednesday they're opening a manufacturing, warehousing and distribution center in Orangeburg and creating 100 jobs within five years. The companies will start by servicing up to 10 metal companies in the Southeast. They hope to secure business with automotive companies, and will perform metal processing for larger steel firms.

In other economic news, Greenville's 4 year medical school through the University of SC School of Medicine, has gotten approval to open next year. The first class will have 50 students and will gradually grow to 100, placing it at the same size as the Columbia location. This is good news for the Upstate! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.charlesto...-training?rss=0

Clemson, Greenville Tech, Trident Tech and Florence-Darlington Tech are partnering to provide aeronautic manufacturing training. $2.3 mm grant from Feds will help facilitate it.

Aerospace and automotive training. Good move. While it's clear SC is becoming a leader in those industries, more needs to be done for it to catch up economically to surrounding states. This can be a good foundation for such an effort though.

And more good news for Barnwell County: The Doc Depot Inc., a medical document retrieval service, announced plans to expand its existing operations in the county. The $250,000 investment is expected to generate 50 new jobs.

We've discussed this subject ad nauseum here. Utilize the search feature.

No, not where do we need to invest (i.e. education), but at what point do you think South Carolinians could say "we're on par with our neighbors"? Is it jobless rates, GDP, income levels??? To a certain extent, it seems that people will always view SC as being behind. But, if you are one to say that SC needs to do MORE, then which statistic do you think needs to be improved? I'm not disagreeing with you, just curious as to what your measuring stick is for this "more" that needs to be done...

• Like 1

Well your first response had a tint of sarcasm to it, hence my flippant reply. Essentially SC needs to do a better job at attracting more high-paying white-collar and knowledge-based jobs. As a baseline, the point at which we can say that SC is approaching parity with its neighbors is when it starts keeping company with them in most of the indicators detailed in this study.

• 3 weeks later...

MAJOR economic development announcement coming from TD Bank for Greenville this Wednesday: http://www.wyff4.com...454/detail.html The governor will be attending. Project Lotus which this is has a value of $85 million according to county documents.

Bosch-Rexroth has announced a $80 million investment that will create 160 new jobs over the next five years for their Fountain Inn (Greenville County) manufacturing facility: http://www.wyff4.com...372/detail.html

Edited by citylife

No, not where do we need to invest (i.e. education), but at what point do you think South Carolinians could say "we're on par with our neighbors"? Is it jobless rates, GDP, income levels??? To a certain extent, it seems that people will always view SC as being behind. But, if you are one to say that SC needs to do MORE, then which statistic do you think needs to be improved? I'm not disagreeing with you, just curious as to what your measuring stick is for this "more" that needs to be done...

I think one example is the "innovation" index that the US Economic Development Administration puts out. If you look at the map at tho following link [pdf], you can see that other states are way ahead of South Carolina. Most notably metro areas like Raleigh, DC/Baltimore, and whatever county Blacksburg, VA is in.

You can very clearly see the connection to higher education with that map. Obviously there is more than higher ed. that factor into the map, but I think this is one example of a measure where South Carolina can compare itself to its neighbors.

TD Bank announcement tomorrow in Greenville is slated to be 800-900 new jobs and a loan processing center for the company according to my media sources.

A major economic announcement could be coming soon for Spartanburg County that will involve hundreds of new jobs. Rumors are swirling that it might be Amazon: http://www2.wspa.com...nt--ar-2709162/

Edited by citylife