Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, they are not idiots per say, but they are fighting a battle that really isnt that significant. They should try and save what is left in Nashville that is major. They should try and get something going on for 1st Avenue to beautify the dilapidated buildings. I do see where they are coming from, to a certain degree, but several of their comments are rediculous gibber jabber, but something needs to be done to stop complete demolition of certain historically significant structures

well, they are not idiots per say, but they are fighting a battle that really isnt that significant. They should try and save what is left in Nashville that is major. They should try and get something going on for 1st Avenue to beautify the dilapidated buildings. I do see where they are coming from, to a certain degree, but several of their comments are rediculous gibber jabber, but something needs to be done to stop complete demolition of certain historically significant structures

The Westin guys supposedly have the necessary votes for this to pas on Tuesday. This is a last ditch effort to derail things, scare votes away. Why is the area only now being put in the endangered list? This is one of the weaknesses of the historical commission. The staff has done a good job raising awareness over the years and getting Lower Broad designated as historic place. But it has fallen short in being able to see potential development opportunities near Lower Broad. The endangered list thing should have been done years ago. It's another case of a little too late. Often times, the commission is put into a reactionary mode. It has been proactive just not proactive enough.

The Westin guys supposedly have the necessary votes for this to pas on Tuesday. This is a last ditch effort to derail things, scare votes away. Why is the area only now being put in the endangered list? This is one of the weaknesses of the historical commission. The staff has done a good job raising awareness over the years and getting Lower Broad designated as historic place. But it has fallen short in being able to see potential development opportunities near Lower Broad. The endangered list thing should have been done years ago. It's another case of a little too late. Often times, the commission is put into a reactionary mode. It has been proactive just not proactive enough.

And I got a totallly different notion from the article. My view is that the preservationists are making their last push to improve the chances that the Broadway historical overlay is actually passed by the Council. As the article mentions, the passage of that condition is very uncertain.

The Nashville CityPaper has an article on the whine fest Bernhardt is having now over some drawings. He knows damn good and well what it looks like, just cause someone miss drew it doesnt mean it was on purpose, this is becoming so childish now. Ann and Bernhardt, :sick::wacko: they make me sick. The 2nd reading is tonight in the Metro Council chambers.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=53878

Yall have fun with this.

Just watching Channel 5 and they reported that the meeting was already up to 2 hours and that the opponents outnumbered the proponents 2:1...not great news if you're for the project. They said it was looking like they might have to put off the vote until the next meeting...not good.

Hopefully, there'll be better news in the morning.

Just watching Channel 5 and they reported that the meeting was already up to 2 hours and that the opponents outnumbered the proponents 2:1...not great news if you're for the project. They said it was looking like they might have to put off the vote until the next meeting...not good.

Hopefully, there'll be better news in the morning.

The Tennessean of course ran a good sized article about this. Question, why the hell are homeless people commenting on this? :wacko: They're saying they feel they will be"pushed aside", ok, hello, your homeless for some reason or another, the city doesn't want yall hanging around a asking tourists for money, it gives Nashville a bad aura. Add to that, there are more than enough agencies trying to help the homeless get unhomeless, so quite whining that your being pushed aside and what not. I am not hating on the homeless its just the very fact they say it'll harm them, HELLO, how? I'm not being heartless or an a-hole, but realistically thinking, get over it and get help.

THE ARTICLE

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...S0202/701030444

Yes, I believe that's the same Tuke. I found his comments valid and compelling and speaking primarily to the need for caution as the future of the area comes deeper into play. Although speaking within the opponents time slot, he didn't appear to be against the project as such. His interests appear to be in educating the public and the council about the sensitivity of the area and its future vulnerability as its very success becomes its biggest challenger.

I'm pro-preservation and share the feeling with Councilman Jamison that the Westin development might be our best chance at actually preserving the area in the immediate Broadway area. I hope this project happen.s The transition from historic Lower Broad to the Westin as a mix of old and new to the Crown to the neighborhoods beyond will be attractive, safe, people friendly and people scaled, and hopefully, very active.

On the issue of some of the homeless and some council members, my take on that was not so much for the preservation of anything. Some just appeared to want a piece of a great big pie that seems to be out of their grasp. Heard this before. Earn the pie, get the pie. Otherwise, here's your sign.

Seems like one big difference is on the (differing) views of what people-scaled means. Being from Atlanta, I think 20 stories, and setback from the street makes for great scale. Others disagree. I concur that this debate should happen anywhere these issues arise. We could have had ours in Atlanta a few decades earlier.

I realize that it's a bit hard to understand what that area really means, but try. There will be the places you mentioned, but for the sake of preserving a huge piece of history, let's at least keep them a block or two away. Millions of people do understand and do spend money to see it and feel it. I've never really been the honky tonk type, but for all my eclectic tastes, I could never recommend an area with such unique heritage change to suit me. That would be a bit unfair. I'm sure there are people not into Beale Street or Bourban Street, but to suggest they change to please something contrary to reality just isn't in the best interest of the uniqueness that makes each place special. I do want to see Broadway cleaned up a bit, but to sanitize it would be just wrong. I don't like the smell of bleach.

Yes, I believe that's the same Tuke. I found his comments valid and compelling and speaking primarily to the need for caution as the future of the area comes deeper into play. Although speaking within the opponents time slot, he didn't appear to be against the project as such. His interests appear to be in educating the public and the council about the sensitivity of the area and its future vulnerability as its very success becomes its biggest challenger.

I'm pro-preservation and share the feeling with Councilman Jamison that the Westin development might be our best chance at actually preserving the area in the immediate Broadway area. I hope this project happen.s The transition from historic Lower Broad to the Westin as a mix of old and new to the Crown to the neighborhoods beyond will be attractive, safe, people friendly and people scaled, and hopefully, very active.

On the issue of some of the homeless and some council members, my take on that was not so much for the preservation of anything. Some just appeared to want a piece of a great big pie that seems to be out of their grasp. Heard this before. Earn the pie, get the pie. Otherwise, here's your sign.

To make it clear just in case its not. I'm very pro-Westin. I can think of nothing better to help in the preservation and improvement of the Broadway area. I just don't want it destroyed and forgotten. All these fights will, in the long run, probably make the most people happier than if there were clear winners.

I agree, Kheldane and Brain, about people scale. It's different things to different people. It really takes more than a tall building to make me feel small. Mt. Fuji might do it.

The whole concept of "people-scaled" or "human-scaled" is the most ridiculous, insidious, malicious, half-witted concept to be espoused by these self-described "urban-planners" ever. The phrase is meaningless to any objective observer, and each person who (malevolently?) makes use of the term employs such subjective judgement that other's who hear the term used quickly realize the user has no real philosophy, only an odd collection of opinions and catch-phrases picked up from television. Are the pyramids human scale? Is the Pantheon human scale? Is a grass hut in the jungle human scale? Is the Empire state building human scale? Every one of these structures was designed by humans, built by humans, used by humans, admired by humans!!! By definition: buildings are human scale in the sense that termite mounds are termite scale. Could a termite mound, by reaching lofty heights, cease to be termite-scale and become human-scale? Take the larger view people: Only one species on planet earth is building complex structures like skyscrapers- and that is humans - thus they (buildings) are all freakin' human scaled. If you're against tall buildings because you think limiting new construction to mid-rises will increase density, then say that! Just don't buy into this human-scaled BS.

Archived