Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

It's beautiful. The riverfront is beginning to come into its form. I know the mayor want to install a Ferris Wheel over by the welcome center, but I think that area would be better served for the aquarium they proposed.  I think incorporating the Freshwater Institute in with an aquarium that's under the management of the Zoo  would be fitting. It would definitely create foot traffic. 

All for the Aqaurium and fresh water institute however it should be @ Mud Island.

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

All for the Aqaurium and fresh water institute however it should be @ Mud Island.

My concern with it being on Mud Island is access. They should just do away with the welcome center and incorporate that building in with the aquarium and fresh water institute.   They could move the welcome center over to the area before I-40  runs into 240.  It would be easier to get to and it could stay open all night for travelers. Where it's located now is inconvenient. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

My concern with it being on Mud Island is access. They should just do away with the welcome center and incorporate that building in with the aquarium and fresh water institute.   They could move the welcome center over to the area before I-40  runs into 240.  It would be easier to get to and it could stay open all night for travelers. Where it's located now is inconvenient. 

Agreed. The parking is already there next to the Bass Pro. My concern is the same for Mud Island. Access. Why not put it where MLGW is now (as an alternative)?

13 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Agreed. The parking is already there next to the Bass Pro. My concern is the same for Mud Island. Access. Why not put it where MLGW is now (as an alternative)?

As far as the MLGW site, this land could be sold to private entities for development.  It is in a prime area with high property values.  The city would get a nice check for selling the land, then would also get yearly property tax payments.  If an aquarium goes there, they will get neither. 

The empty lot next to the welcome center is now considered a "green space."  It's completely barren, and there's no escaping the sun during a hot day, and I have no idea if anyone uses it at all.  It should be named AC's Park.  They could have spent less money by not cutting down any of the trees along the lagoon or the Lone Star site, and kept the concrete towers with the Memphis sign, and it would have looked nicer.  Anyways, this site will probably never go back into private hands, as that would not adhere to the city's use plan.  Also, I don't know if any of the property falls within the city's founders original public promenade.  An aquarium could go there.

An aquarium could also go on Mud Island.  Whether it be on the Southern point, where the current Mud Island Museum is, or where the Memphis Belle was displayed.  If it was on the Southern point, I think there would have to be a pedestrian bridge from Cobblestone or Beale Street landing to make it more accessible.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MDC26 said:

As far as the MLGW site, this land could be sold to private entities for development.  It is in a prime area with high property values.  The city would get a nice check for selling the land, then would also get yearly property tax payments.  If an aquarium goes there, they will get neither. 

The empty lot next to the welcome center is now considered a "green space."  It's completely barren, and there's no escaping the sun during a hot day, and I have no idea if anyone uses it at all.  It should be named AC's Park.  They could have spent less money by not cutting down any of the trees along the lagoon or the Lone Star site, and kept the concrete towers with the Memphis sign, and it would have looked nicer.  Anyways, this site will probably never go back into private hands, as that would not adhere to the city's use plan.  Also, I don't know if any of the property falls within the city's founders original public promenade.  An aquarium could go there.

An aquarium could also go on Mud Island.  Whether it be on the Southern point, where the current Mud Island Museum is, or where the Memphis Belle was displayed.  If it was on the Southern point, I think there would have to be a pedestrian bridge from Cobblestone or Beale Street landing to make it more accessible.  

A land bridge was proposed in the original design.

7 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Thanks for the enlightenment about the property taxes on the MLGW site. To your point about the aquarium being on MI, it’d probably need to be on the southern end, because of the money it’d cost to build the bridge, plus parking would be easy. Don’t know what the harbor town folks would think though. Do they want all that traffic? 

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis

On 6/14/2023 at 5:49 PM, JTM1 said:

It's beautiful. The riverfront is beginning to come into its form. I know the mayor want to install a Ferris Wheel over by the welcome center, but I think that area would be better served for the aquarium they proposed.  I think incorporating the Freshwater Institute in with an aquarium that's under the management of the Zoo  would be fitting. It would definitely create foot traffic. 

True. I think there was a plan to have floating restaurants in wolf river harbor on the cobblestones - would create even more foot traffic. Really need to make Mud Island like the Riverwalk in SA, the canal walk in Indy or Baltimore inner harbor. 

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis

21 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Access is the missing piece to Mud Island. 

This is just my opinion, but I believe the MLGW location would be ideal for more entertainment/retail/hospitality/ residential. It's the puzzle piece that will connect South Main and Beale St. I would like to see another professional theater included in the redevelopment of the MLGW property. 

There's no doubt the aquarium is a good idea, and the aquarium at the zoo is showing its age, I hope there are discussions between zoo leaders and the city planners about building a new aquarium and letting the zoo manage it. 

You've pointed out something that's often overlooked. The parking around Bass Pro will be a valued asset for whatever is constructed on that property.  I've envisioned a lot for the area around Bass Pro, because the Pyramid is a billion dollar anchor.  

36 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

True. I think there was a plan to have floating restaurants in wolf river harbor on the cobblestones - would create even more foot traffic. Really need to make Mud Island like the Riverwalk in SA, the canal walk in Indy or Baltimore inner harbor. 

I believe that is the design they're going after.  

4 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I think what would be more accurate in possibilities is Seaport Village in San Diego. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JTM1 said:

Access is the missing piece to Mud Island. 

This is just my opinion, but I believe the MLGW location would be ideal for more entertainment/retail/hospitality/ residential. It's the puzzle piece that will connect South Main and Beale St. I would like to see another professional theater included in the redevelopment of the MLGW property. 

There's no doubt the aquarium is a good idea, and the aquarium at the zoo is showing its age, I hope there are discussions between zoo leaders and the city planners about building a new aquarium and letting the zoo manage it. 

You've pointed out something that's often overlooked. The parking around Bass Pro will be a valued asset for whatever is constructed on that property.  I've envisioned a lot for the area around Bass Pro, because the Pyramid is a billion dollar anchor.  

The zoo i believe is going to add an aquarium within the zoo on the older side.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 12:01 PM, Memphis4ever said:

This is good to hear, because the aquarium is showing it's age.  Do you know what will become of the present location?  I still believe they need to relocate the welcome center. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 12:01 PM, Memphis4ever said:

It's too bad that these have the same name.  There's an aquarium like AQUARIUM! - with sharks and giant sea turtles.  And then there's the zoo aquarium, like on the level of some fish tanks at the pet store.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

It’s a good concept. Would this be near the cobblestones or on MI? I was thinking a canal-like plan because there’s land between one body of water. 

It could be both. Don’t know if the canal concept would work. It’s much wider.  The Mississippi River bank is more like a beach. It slopes down and the water level rises and falls.  It also has waves if a boat goes by. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MDC26 said:

An article about how the Orpheum was almost torn down.  Has an aerial before/after slider photo of the Urban renewal.  Interesting to see how much was torn down.  

https://storyboardmemphis.org/history/almost-forgotten-history-of-the-orpheum/

Stranded-on-an-urban-island.-The-Orpheum-in-1976-copy.png

I don't know what they were thinking, because this is shameful. So much has gone to the landfills in the name of progress and they left downtown with a glut of parking lots and open space. Thank goodness level heads intervened. This is why saving the Coliseum is important, because of its potential and usefulness. They can build the soccer stadium in another area of downtown and create another entertainment district around it. 

I have some in-laws that are Orpheum season ticket holders and they would love to see another professional theater open downtown, because they feel Memphis is missing out on other good shows. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

I don't know what they were thinking, because this is shameful. So much has gone to the landfills in the name of progress and they left downtown with a glut of parking lots and open space. Thank goodness level heads intervened. This is why saving the Coliseum is important, because of its potential and usefulness. They can build the soccer stadium in another area of downtown and create another entertainment district around it. 

I have some in-laws that are Orpheum season ticket holders and they would love to see another professional theater open downtown, because they feel Memphis is missing out on other good shows. 

Things are moving in the right direction with MSC. Ken May is very active behind the scenes right now and has met with live Nation about booking concerts. Hopefully by the end of this year we will have more concrete information and details about renovation. Let’s just see how this plays out. As far as 901fc there are plenty of other options that would be options.  Here’s a look @ crump and main property approx. 15 acres ready for development. Owner by Frank Smith ( Wiseacre) who has stated he would love to negotiate with 901 fc about the land. 

D2A6CD02-BAF1-4BCC-A83B-764FEB5D0D11.png

3 hours ago, JTM1 said:

Is the Cannon Center not a professional theater capable of handling these other shows?  I have no idea as I’ve never been inside it. 

15 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Things are moving in the right direction with MSC. Ken May is very active behind the scenes right now and has met with live Nation about booking concerts. Hopefully by the end of this year we will have more concrete information and details about renovation. Let’s just see how this plays out. As far as 901fc there are plenty of other options that would be options.  Here’s a look @ crump and main property approx. 15 acres ready for development. Owner by Frank Smith ( Wiseacre) who has stated he would love to negotiate with 901 fc about the land. 

D2A6CD02-BAF1-4BCC-A83B-764FEB5D0D11.png

This is  good to hear about the MSC.  I was reading earlier the Southern Heritage Classic has released the list of its musical performers and instead of hosting the events at the Landers Center they could be held in the MSC.  I really don't understand why the city leaders didn't see the coliseum as an asset rather than a liability.

I have driven by this property, because it's near Ghost River. There is a lot that can be done with 15 acres and I can see a soccer district coming up around the stadium.  Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Is the Cannon Center not a professional theater capable of handling these other shows?  I have no idea as I’ve never been inside it. 

The Cannon Center is on the same branch as the Orpheum, but it has a different use and function. 

33 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

The Cannon Center is on the same branch as the Orpheum, but it has a different use and function. 

I know the Symphony plays there, and they've had concerts, Miss Tennessee Pageant, speakers, but I didn't know if it was made to be able to do plays/musicals with the elaborate sets and stuff.  

On 6/27/2023 at 12:10 PM, MDC26 said:

I know the Symphony plays there, and they've had concerts, Miss Tennessee Pageant, speakers, but I didn't know if it was made to be able to do plays/musicals with the elaborate sets and stuff.  

They have plays and musicals, but the Cannon Center wasn't designed for continuous theatrical plays and musicals like what the Orpheum does.  The Orpheum has concerts and other shows to fill in the gap when they're not running a theatrical performance.