West

Justin6882

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got this note via email yesterday:

I just wanted to send a quick update from the developer of West and to let you know that the official ground breaking date for West is just a few days away. We are waiting for construction fencing approval from the city, which should be any day now.

Choate Construction will be working on foundations in January and February, and depending on weather and site conditions and then the construction crane will arrive on site in late March. The building can be expected to start rising out of the ground in April (tall buildings require extensive foundations work).

Also, two other items of interest: the West Sales Center is scheduled to open March 30th, and West prices will increase effective January 15th. Today's preconstruction pricing will remain in effect through January 14th.

West has officially moved from the preconstruction stage to the construction period. This is an exciting milestone for the development. We thank you for being part of the West experience. Please let us know if you have questions or inquiries about the remaining residential units.

I drove by the block on Monday night and noticed they striped West Street to have north and southbound lanes shifted to the west side of the block. The east side has a white stripe that is currently empty/parking, but could be blocked off for construction like the Quorum Building had. I didn't look at North or Harrington streets.

The fence will probably go up sometime this month, shortly after the groundbreaking!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Existing pic of "West":

thewest_1.jpg

Using the wonderful print-screen command, I captured these shots form the West at North site flash video:

SW side (corner of West & North St):

2122340140098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

north side:

2270999120098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

SE side:

2297640800098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

Anyone else see the not-so-subtle differences in the design of the bldg? I believe there's an extra story or two in there (they did re-submit a site plan). I think it looks more refined and less-JDavis-like. :)

No the crane is not up yet as of 8pm tonight. I think they still need additional permits.

It has a more "regal" look than before and it looks much much less "mccondo." I think that these subtle design tweaks give it an edge we haven't seen in downtown. I agree that it looks like there's been another story or two added. There's also something about the modified color scheme. I can't quite say what it is, but it looks like a building that won't be out of style in five years.

On second count it looks like 12 stories on the old rendering, 14 on the new.

I like the old rendering better. While I'm not at all against this project or the final design:

* I'm not crazy about the contrast between the red brick and the almost gray appearance of the efis areas. I like creamy tones much better (That new dorm that replaced the Wolfpack Inn on Western shows the red brick/gray and white look that W@N looks like it will have)

* Windows in the red brick area are too small

* The building has little relief. The original had living areas pooched out featuring 3-sides of glass.

* What's going on with those sprue-looking bracket things hanging off the roof? At least in the old rendering the graduation cap canopies helped to define vertical elements and kept the building from looking so cubic.

* I like the awnings to define retail storefronts, but the use of small ones over the service entrance looks ridiculous.

* My biggest complaint is that this project, on an asymmetric hill, is just a big symmetrical block. I'd much rather see peaks, relief, and a better blend to the landscape.

Hmm..it went from looking too standard to too much like a building on Centennial Campus. I am still all for the project though as the building content is superb. Dana makes valid criticisms but I am happy with some variety at least. :thumbsup:

I like the old rendering better. While I'm not at all against this project or the final design:

* The building has little relief. The original had living areas pooched out featuring 3-sides of glass.

* I like the awnings to define retail storefronts, but the use of small ones over the service entrance looks ridiculous.

I don't really agree with you about relief. The new rendering has plenty for me. I'm not a big fan of repeating relief patterns in building facades like the original rendering. It just seems forced and unnatural, somehow. I have a feeling that these sort of things will come to look dated before long.

I definitely agree about the awnings. The five little raised awnings along Harrington look out of place. But when it really comes down to it, who cares? This is a great building and great for the district.

Yeah, the little ownings on the side and the parking deck look tacky, but I agree with orulz--minor detail. I don't think it'll win any awards, but I do like that it is somewhat unique compared to the previous standard-looking JDavis design (larger more colorful Dawson?). Also, at this point in time, it's one of the largest condo structures in the Triangle, has plenty of retail, and is near a future TTA stop. It's a significant step forward for the DTR market.

They redesigned the retail portion and the corner on the Dawson is different, but many of the structural features are the same IMO. Consider JDavis also did Site 1...

Site1-RaleighNC-7.jpg

... and you can see the progression beginning with Dawson to West to Site 1 (though this design is still in flux). Of course they are all different (sizes, uses, retail, sites, etc) , but all I'm saying is to me there is a clear family resemblance.

Y'all honestly think that this:

morganst_art.jpg

looks like this?

thewest_1.jpg

you're joking right??....I would pick them off as the same developer if I had just moved to this city. Fake italianette cornice, same color scheme despite some actual tone difference, appearance of same materials, same window and balcony arrangement.....The Dawson was originally proposed as a 15 story tower but was scaled down when demand plummeted in around 2001...they actually took a big chance by proceeding with less than 50% reserved even at 5 stories....I bet W@N is the exact building orignally on the drawing board for the Dawson site....Its just like how White Oak properties first several buildings were all the same but for some arrangement of the floorplans......Atlantic Place, Anderson Place, Oberlin near Wade, Blue Ridge near Kids Hill, Governors Point on Person...only The Cotton Mill and Park Deveraux differed at all....

Archived