Louisiana Weather

richyb83

According to the little weather bar at the bottom of my Firefox window, it's 102 degrees outside right now. At 7:21 pm! It's wrong, though... according to weather.com it's only 95. But it did make it to 101 today, and the forecast for thenext 9 days is 101, 100, 96, 94, 95, 95, 95, 93, 95. After Tuesday, it looks like it'll cool off slightly. I'm ready for that 93 day!!! :)

I heard about Shreveport reaching 102 for the high temp, OUUCCH ! The AC is struggling to keep the house below 80 I bet. We are entering the hottest part of the year now, we got up to 97 in BR yesterday. The weather men did not predict it to get that hot.

I heard about Shreveport reaching 102 for the high temp, OUUCCH ! The AC is struggling to keep the house below 80 I bet. We are entering the hottest part of the year now, we got up to 97 in BR yesterday. The weather men did not predict it to get that hot.

It was cooler down there than it was up here today? Wow.

Yeah, the AC is struggling and needs to be serviced. Because of the heat and everyone using their ACs, our power went out again today for about an hour or so.

I was that weather man. I had a bad forecast for the area on Friday and Saturday. Thought we'd see alot more rain...which would have kept temps cooler (low 90s). Unfortunately...I missed some weak ridging building in behind a weak mid-level trough that pushed through on Thursday. This allowed enough of a cap to develop...keeping most of the thunderstorms at bay. As a result...I busted by an average error of 3.25 degrees that day. OUCH!! The TV guys usually go with what we say...since most aren't meteorologists...so if I'm wrong they are wrong.

We did get some good storms today though. 2 unconfirmed tornadoes...hail...and wind damage in St. Tammany Parish and Pearl River County, MS. One tornado was near Poplarville and the other was reported near Lacombe. It was a busy day at work.

^ Good to hear from you again ! Hey it's me, the weatherman wanna-be. Nobody's perfect and Meteorology is a science. I don't want to be a Monday morning Quarterback either. I was just suprised how hot it got. I did see that nasty line of T-Storms following I-10/I-12 from Pascagoula to near BR, but was unaware of any tornadoes. Thanks for telling us. We barely got a sprinkle here; but things have improved(greener again) some. But the rainfall defecit is so great that we need any downpour we can get. It looks like the drought(dry) weather patterned is gone. Don't we have some good 30-40% rain chances thru the week ? Could we see a repeat of today's nasty weather again on Monday?

Edited by richyb83

We barely got a sprinkle in Covington too, but all kinds of lightning and thunder.

BTW Slidell, is there a particular weatherman you like on the local New Orleans news stations than the others? It's random I know, but I was just curious. I've always liked Carl Arredondo personally, along with Bob Breck.

It's 103 here right now and was forecast to reach 105. There's an article on today's Times that says "Local temperature tops out at 105 degrees." I don't know if that means we actually hit it, but that's what it sounds like. But then when you read the actual article, it doesn't mention what our actual high was today.

105... geez... in this humidity. It's days like this I'm SO glad I work indoors!!

Wow Brian. That's HOT. You could scramble eggs on the roof-top of your car. With that kind of heat you can never have enough water or gatorade. I feel for the people who do work outside. It even hit 95 in Chicago today. Heat advisories are in effect from SBC up to KC , Cincinnati and Philly. We broke a record high temp. in BR; it hit 98 today. 2nd hottest day of the year so far.

Edited by richyb83

Working 4-mid this week...thus the late night responses. I just hole up in the office when i get home to not wake the wife and kids and then sleep when they are gone during the day.

Anyway...yes Richy we are in a wetter pattern again. There is another weak trough that moved in on Sunday and will linger over us through the week. It will be hit and miss stuff...but when it rains you could a good 1 to 2 inch downpour. We have a long way to go with the drought...but we aren't losing ground anymore...just holding steady. It is nice having a green lawn again...but it needs to be mowed. My kids are too young for that...so guess who gets to do it. <_<

As far as local mets on tv...I like Carl Arredondo and Bruce Katz. They don't sensationalize as much as Dan Milham. Bob Breck is good too...but I don't watch Fox 8 news much. He's a little quirky in person.

Wow Brian. That's HOT. You could scramble eggs on the roof-top of your car. With that kind of heat you can never have enough water or gatorade. I feel for the people who do work outside. It even hit 95 in Chicago today. Heat advisories are in effect from SBC up to KC , Cincinnati and Philly. We broke a record high temp. in BR; it hit 98 today. 2nd hottest day of the year so far.

Yep, it's hot. It did officially top out at 105 yesterday. Today it's predicted to hit 104 here.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/60718001

I always said I preferred the hot weather over cold... I was wrong.

Yep, it's hot. It did officially top out at 105 yesterday. Today it's predicted to hit 104 here.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/60718001

I always said I preferred the hot weather over cold... I was wrong.

Amen! I cant wait till this winter! This has been by far one of the hottest summers Ive seen in a long time.

So far this week, every single day the high temperatures in this area of Louisiana have stayed at 104-105. This excessive heat, coupled with a drought, have caused 38 water main ruptures in recent days. Because of this, heat and drought situation, residents of Shreveport are now being asked to conserve water where they can as the city pumps 70-90 million gallons of water from Cross Lake each day for city-wide use... water that isn't being replaced naturally due to the lack of rain and evaporation.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/607190310

The following Drought Severity Map shows this area of Louisiana being in an "extreme drought," which is the worst drought category listed.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/assets/jpg/D934559718.JPG

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Thanks for the info ! Wow, I definetly try not to take water for granted anymore. Maybe we will get some relief, some nasty T-Storms(T-Storm Watch til 8:00pm) are bubbling out of Mississippi , moving west/southwest. That could easily give some areas 1-2" of rain. Im not sure if they will make it to SBC or not ?

It's even 100 in Nebraska right now. Last week Bismarck ND had temps 105.

Edited by richyb83

It's getting pretty dark here right now, and thunder is starting to roll in as well. I really hope that this time we actually get some strom from the thunderstorm, not just the thunder. ;)

Yeah what area couldn't use a little more strom. Wait a second are you referring to Strom Thurman? :lol:

Sorry, lame joke I couldn't resist. I think we all know what you meant. :D