Louisiana Weather

richyb83

St. Tammany Parish Orders Burn Band Effective Immediately

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5032660

Was not sure if I was supposed to post this on the "weather" thread or not ?

Yea, I think it would fit better along with the drought and forest fire discuccion in the weather thread. Do you want me to go ahead and move the post?

Baton Rouge's high temp. was 95 ! This now makes 31 consecutive days with high temp's of 90+. And an avg. high temp of 4 1/2 degrees above normal in the month of June ! That's signifigant.

What's crazy is today was officially the first day of Summer on the calendar. Around here it seems like it has been Summer for the past two-months.

Some places got some much need rainfall this past Friday-Monday; while others (including me) got very little. The ground is scorched around here. In SE Texas they have had BIG rain events of 10+ inches of rain twice in the past 3 weeks ! Weather is wild !

Edited by richyb83

Baton Rouge's high temp. was 95 ! This now makes 31 consecutive days with high temp's of 90+. And an avg. high temp of 4 1/2 degrees above normal in the month of June ! That's signifigant.

What's crazy is today was officially the first day of Summer on the calendar. Around here it seems like it has been Summer for the past two-months.

Some places got some much need rainfall this past Friday-Monday; while others (including me) got very little. The ground is scorched around here. In SE Texas they have had BIG rain events of 10+ inches of rain twice in the past 3 weeks ! Weather is wild !

I know the feeling. It's hard to believe Summer is just now beginning with how hot it's been. That's the only downfall of living in the south. I hope you guys get some rain. Before we finally got our storms over this weekend, I saw where a big patch of grass off the interstate near my house was burnt up, probably by an incorrectly disposed-of cigarette.

Thanks Brian. We really need the rain. Around here we would always take rain for granted , not any more. Annual rainfall for BR is around 55" per year. This will(could) go down as the driest first-half of the year (Jan.-June) in recorded history(125 years ?) Maybe we will get an inch or two before the end of the month. I am glad to see SBC and other parts of the State getting the rain. St.Tammany and Concordia are as dry as anybody.

If I had a nickel for every cigarette but dropped on the streets of BR, I could retire tommorrow !

Edited by richyb83

Thanks Brian. We really need the rain. Around here we would always take rain for granted , not any more. Annual rainfall for BR is around 55" per year. This will(could) go down as the driest first-half of the year (Jan.-June) in recorded history(125 years ?) Maybe we will get an inch or two before the end of the month. I am glad to see SBC and other parts of the State getting the rain. St.Tammany and Concordia are as dry as anybody.

If I had a nickel for every cigarette but dropped on the streets of BR, I could retire tommorrow !

You know, there's a court precedent that says cigarette butts don't constitute litter. I can't recall if it's a national or local precedent somewhere though. I wonder how that precedent ever got set. There's no way I would have ever concluded that cigarette butts weren't litter. As a matter of fact, I consider them one of the worst forms of litter because (1) they're everywhere and (2) they're fire hazards.

Insanely dry for Baton Rouge. We have at least a 18" rainfall deficit for this time of year. Avg. is 30 " and BR has about 12". At my house the storms split in two last Monday and went around us(literally) on Saturday. Just a sprinkle, while others recieved as much as 2 "!

Nate, how much rainfall did you drive thru on your way back from the East ? All over TV of the DC area flooding; governmental workers being sent home, etc. From the Carolina's to New England it was pouring; more heavy rains on the way bec. of the low-pressure down in Florida will move up the east coast. It was flooding in Houston/LC last week, Colorado,Ohio, etc. If you were getting sick of the rain ? You came to the right place. We are in for another dry week ! Talk about "Extremes".

Edited by richyb83

Even though we are in a severe drought down here, it looks like almost everyone got some rain over the past week. And look at the Northeast, especially the D.C. area, ouch. I seriously got out of there just as the rain began to fall, and if I had planned on staying another day up there, I might still be stuck somewhere around D.C.

us_rainfall_est_past_week_720_en.jpg

Smart move Nate ! Thanks for posting. Look around the BR area ! In the "DRY-Hole" ! The storms literally either split-in-two; side-swiped, or diminished all together. Barely a sprinkle. Today in BR it was 95/96 for the high with only 28% humidity ! Unheard of around south Louisiana for late June !

The high-pressure will move east opening the Gulf back up for business this weekend. Maybe we can get those old-fashion late afternoon T-Showers from the south ?

Edited by richyb83

THAT'S HOT !!! Does your thermometer have metal around it ? In the direct sunlight, it's no suprise it's 108. I did that before with my thermometers too. They seem to be more accurate for me when they are placed in the carport, where there is more shade.

WTC says it's 96; Cable ch.18 says it's 96. Ouuchh

Check-out all the clouds moving north out of the western Gulf. Maybe some of that cloud cover cann cool the temps. a bit this weekend ! Even a little more rain. The rain %chances are supposed to go up next week !!!

Edited by richyb83

It's 95 here in south Shreveport right now. And the heat index is only 93, so it's not too bad. When the heat index is less than the temperature, why don't they refer to that as a wind chill like in the Winter? :P

Haha, I don't know, when I think of wind chill I normally don't think 93 degrees. ;)

It looks like it's about to rain here, and I really hope it actually does rain this time, instead of just clouds and thunder. Mother nature loves to play around with us! ;)

I hate it in the Summer, when things are hot and dry, and all you get is a sprinkle at best. And when I say a sprinkle, I mean it...

It's been so much hotter down there than it has up here, so I can only imagine how desperate things are. First you have too much water after Katrina, and now you can't seem to find enough. Ain't nature strange!?!?

I've got to water my lawn this evening. I meant to do it earlier in the week but I wound up forgetting.