Sounds Stadium design now starting

smeagolsfree

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As difficult as this thing was to put together in the first place I'm not sure the politics will be there to get it extended if the April deadline is not met. I personally would like to see it happen but I think the opponents (some running for mayor) of the original concept will come out of the woodwork with "I told you so's" and advocate a different use for the property. Purcell probably won't have time to get something else figured out so it could become one of the central campaign issues for the next election.

With the coming downturn in real estate, I don't look for this thing to get built at all. Maybe someone will come in a few years and build a nice midrise condo project with lots of greenspace on the river. The ballpark idea is/was a nice idea, but I have the real sense that there are problems with it that we never even got word of in the papers and such. You know developers, they're so full of gas when they're promoting their projects, but they're silent as a mouse when there's no news, or bad news. How long has it been for this project? Two years?

I don't a think even a complete cancellation of the ballpark component would have much impact on the development in SoBro anyway. I've always been on the fence about using this prime corner in the heart of downtown for a ballpark. I think it would be a romantic "take me out to the ballgame" kind of thing, but not for one second to I think that the people developing the residential and commerical components of this project look to the ballpark as key to their success. I personally would prefer the ballpark be on the East Bank adjacent to LP field and become an integral addition to the future riverfront and residential areas there that are sure to happen. I don't care what works for other cities and feel that using this land for a copycat ballpark that will just age in a couple of decades a wise use of this land when ample land is available across the river (the views would be cool as hell too). I wouldn't worry too much even if the plan is scratched. It's much more important in my book to continue development in SoBro to encompass a rich neighborhood feel. That part of SoBro that will be lost to the convention center can shift to the land by the river. The ballpark would be a fine thing, and it will be a fine thing where planned, but my personal opinion finds me leaning toward and alternative site and giving Mr. Streuver the opportunity to build out the thermal site as one cool urban neighborhood. We'll see what happens. I'll get excited either way, but I won't jump off the bridge if we don't build "that" particular ballpark.

^Put the MCC on the River? Oh, I get it, it's a joke. Ha ha, that's pretty funny.

You are joking right? What are they feeding you over there in jolly old Inglaterra?

I guess I shouldn't be a non-constructive smart-ass, so, maybe if the MCC plan could incorporate the open civic green-spaces that are part of the Ball Park plan, then such a suggestion wouldn't be all bad. However, if you take a look at the Sounds site and compare it with the site which is the current front runner for the MCC in SoBro, the Sounds site would present some difficulties, I think. Not much would be left over for any civic use and future expansion would be much more difficult.

With the coming downturn in real estate, I don't look for this thing to get built at all. Maybe someone will come in a few years and build a nice midrise condo project with lots of greenspace on the river. The ballpark idea is/was a nice idea, but I have the real sense that there are problems with it that we never even got word of in the papers and such. You know developers, they're so full of gas when they're promoting their projects, but they're silent as a mouse when there's no news, or bad news. How long has it been for this project? Two years?

So News 2 reports tonight that Struever will announce tomorrow "two new major additions to the site". I'm guessing this will be the hotel announcement. Maybe they are going to announce (1.) the addition of 50k seats and (2.) an MLB expansion team! :alc:

Seriously, is this just the hotel announcement, or are there actually new structures being added?

I have heard recent rumors from previously reliable sources that SBER and the Sounds are trying to figure out how to move forward with their respective plans WITHOUT each other. SBER apparently would be interested in pursuing a development without a ballpark. If this is true (and they are focusing energy and resources on this plan) then I think the plan as approved is DOA; they would never meet the upcoming deadline amid such a distraction. A bigger question will be whether the city would bid adieu to the Sounds and let SBER have an exclusive shot at such a redevelopment without starting the entire RFP over again. Clearly, SBER would have a leg up on other interested developers given their familiarity with the site but I can't see such a change occurring without the city redefining the terms/limits of the development.

The City Paper is reporting that the hotels would be announced today. Anyone care to make a guess as to what hotel chains before the announcement today. I would guess at least one all suite hotel and a full service hotel not in the DT market. Maybe Ramada or an upscale of that company. Could be a Choice Hotel brand as well.

Richard Lawson told the Channel 2 audience this morning that one of them will be an aloft. So, even though aloft hasn't opened anywhere yet, we have two coming (the other at Cool Springs) and will be among the first markets in the country with that brand. I have no idea what the other may be. The aloft brand seems perfect for that area imo.

Richard Lawson told the Channel 2 audience this morning that one of them will be an aloft. So, even though aloft hasn't opened anywhere yet, we have two coming (the other at Cool Springs) and will be among the first markets in the country with that brand. I have no idea what the other may be. The aloft brand seems perfect for that area imo.

What's the difference between "boutique" and "budget" hotels? Isn't aloft a budget... and the name "Element" sounds very basic. I do think that a bargain hotel is perfect for that area. I think the owners of the Hampton will soon regret not building a bigger hotel. This will be interesting to watch.

With all the budgets in Nashville's DT, if a CC does come through there, then the market will be primed for a very nice well-known brand there like Hyatt or Marriott Marquis.

Element is the newly named brand for Starwood's (Westin) extended stay line. None exist yet. aloft is along the lines of a W, but not as slick. Both are intended to cater to the younger, hipper, professional as opposed to the traditional "flowers on the dresser" hotel experience. The accomodations are very in line with what you'd find in many of the new condos going in downtown. If anyone wanted to check out downtown living first, check into the Element for a week and see if downtown's a fit. I plan to do just that. Sounds like fun.

I'm very happy that Starwood was interested enough in the rapidly emerging new demographic to consider downtown Nashville for not one, but two of their "new century" properties. Oh wait, here in Westinville, we almost forgot about the granddaddy Westin a couple of blocks away.

Gee, things change so fast around here ...

Google the properties, the websites will anwer all the questions.

I think the Tennessean (once again) misreported the parking portion of the hotel. The City Paper reports that the parking will be above ground and surrounded by the hotel/office space. The Tennessean's report was the only one in which I've read/heard that parking would be on top of the hotel. I believe they're wrong.

Archived