Sounds Stadium design now starting

smeagolsfree

It seems to me that if this deal falls through it will be primarily because the Sounds wanted a new ballpark essentially for free. They weren't even willing to pony up the cash for funding the detailed design work for the stadium. The old saying goes, "You have to spend money to make money." I guess the Sounds ownership haven't realized that yet.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be a tremendous shame and loss for Nashville if this project falls through. The loss in investment and momentum this project would have given downtown would be a big blow IMO. I hope a reasonable settlement can be found for the stadium to be built d and for AAA ball to stay in Nashville. Being both a baseball fan and pro-downtown development this whole situation is a tad disheartening.

:shades:

It will be a tremendous shame and loss for Nashville if this project falls through. The loss in investment and momentum this project would have given downtown would be a big blow IMO. I hope a reasonable settlement can be found for the stadium to be built d and for AAA ball to stay in Nashville. Being both a baseball fan and pro-downtown development this whole situation is a tad disheartening.

^What a fiasco. Thanks for providing access to your story, Richard.

It's hard to get a sense of who's dropping the ball on this one, with the Sounds pointing fingers at SBR and Yeager being on vacation and all when his deadline for the deal is fast approaching.

Can SBR go ahead with retail, residential (hotel?) without the added attraction of the ballpark? Or is Metro's lease of the land contingent on the Ballpark being on the site? I guess Metro wouldn't give away land if there wasn't a demonstrable public use (minor league baseball, whoopee) intended for the land, so that probably answers that question.

It's hard to believe that the Sounds couldn't come up with a financing plan, all they had to do was build the stadium, not buy the land and not pay for the stadium's upkeep. Is minor league baseball really viable on such a prime piece of real-estate? Once again, and I know there are zoning prohibitions in place, but I go back to the argument I made way back when this was first being floated as a possibility, if the Sounds were such an economic boon to the city and to a given area, why is Greer Stadium such a dump and the surrounding area underutilized. It sits on the same land as Fort Negley and the Adventure Science Museum and the Fair Grounds, it's not far from 8th South and 12th South, Zanies and Melrose, etc. If these kind of ventures are really such a boon to an area, why wasn't there any impetus to create a commercial district around Greer which could have spurred connectivity with these otherwise isolated spheres (CSM, Ft. N, 8 South)?

^What a fiasco. Thanks for providing access to your story, Richard.

It's hard to get a sense of who's dropping the ball on this one, with the Sounds pointing fingers at SBR and Yeager being on vacation and all when his deadline for the deal is fast approaching.

Can SBR go ahead with retail, residential (hotel?) without the added attraction of the ballpark? Or is Metro's lease of the land contingent on the Ballpark being on the site? I guess Metro wouldn't give away land if there wasn't a demonstrable public use (minor league baseball, whoopee) intended for the land, so that probably answers that question.

It's hard to believe that the Sounds couldn't come up with a financing plan, all they had to do was build the stadium, not buy the land and not pay for the stadium's upkeep. Is minor league baseball really viable on such a prime piece of real-estate? Once again, and I know there are zoning prohibitions in place, but I go back to the argument I made way back when this was first being floated as a possibility, if the Sounds were such an economic boon to the city and to a given area, why is Greer Stadium such a dump and the surrounding area underutilized. It sits on the same land as Fort Negley and the Adventure Science Museum and the Fair Grounds, it's not far from 8th South and 12th South, Zanies and Melrose, etc. If these kind of ventures are really such a boon to an area, why wasn't there any impetus to create a commercial district around Greer which could have spurred connectivity with these otherwise isolated spheres (CSM, Ft. N, 8 South)?

Sure is hard to get the feeling that Yeager really cares about baseball in Nashville. It looks to me like he wanted a new ballpark with absolutely nothing at risk. Somebody on this forum made a great point about absentee landlords as sports team owners.

BTW: Richard, just when I think that all the good reporters (what's a journalist??) are either retired or dead, you and a handful of others give me reason to hope. Oh how rare it is to get a reporter to explain the situation completely. Thanks.

Sure is hard to get the feeling that Yeager really cares about baseball in Nashville. It looks to me like he wanted a new ballpark with absolutely nothing at risk. Somebody on this forum made a great point about absentee landlords as sports team owners.

BTW: Richard, just when I think that all the good reporters (what's a journalist??) are either retired or dead, you and a handful of others give me reason to hope. Oh how rare it is to get a reporter to explain the situation completely. Thanks.

Not really. Look at music row and the gulch. These two neighborhoods are growing closer to each other every day and I can invision a day when they have completly grown together into one district. I think a lot of people already think of them as one neihborood anyway. As long as there is a bridge, then the interstate is not a problem.

The real problem wth Greer is that it's surrounded by what people (rightly or wrongly) perceive to be ghetto housing and run-down industry. Rich whites don't like to be reminded of the harsh realities of poverty and industrial decline, thus they avoid those areas whenever possible.

Not really. Look at music row and the gulch. These two neighborhoods are growing closer to each other every day and I can invision a day when they have completly grown together into one district. I think a lot of people already think of them as one neihborood anyway. As long as there is a bridge, then the interstate is not a problem.

The real problem wth Greer is that it's surrounded by what people (rightly or wrongly) perceive to be ghetto housing and run-down industry. Rich whites don't like to be reminded of the harsh realities of poverty and industrial decline, thus they avoid those areas whenever possible.

The interstate isn't a problem with a bridge... but the interstate exit/entrance ramps are another story. If anyone has actually crossed that bridge between the Gulch and Music Row... you probably know what I mean. Definitely a need for some way to cross over...

Anyway... on topic... I don't understand why the Sounds didn't just let SBER be the master developer in the first place... and be in charge of the ballpark development. They obviously have done this before... and seem (imo) to know more what they are doing than the Sounds do. Hopefully the Sounds don't drive SBER out of Nashville development completely... that would seem more devastating than losing the team, considering the impact SBER development could have here.

I hope this gets voted down so S. Bros can move on and try thier hand at bringing in a new team. If they can't, the land will be put to good use and a delay til 10/31 will only draw this out longer. Unless the sounds get the ballpark for free there aint going to be no ballpark.

I still think finding a AAA team would be hard though. Regardless, let the Sounds go sucker another city and developer into paying for a stadium.

Archived