Massive Riverfront Project

GRDadof3

I'm with Joe here.. although they may not be comming to grand rapids to think thier only viable revenue stream is click through ads is very short sighted. They are invovled in a LOT of things both tech and non-tech related.

I don't mean to pile on, but I have to support Joe and PBJ on this one. Google has $6 billion in cash with no debt. And they are very profitable. They have big plans and the capability to carry them out.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that the riverfront project has nothing to do with Google. But please don't underestimate their financial power and potential. Here is a good article that outlines some of the possibilities: http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060105.html

Also, a thousand posts ago (or so), someone mentioned the possibility of this being Microsoft. I can confirm that Microsoft is indeed opening an office in GR. However, their office will only house about 8 full time workers from what I'm hearing.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, a thousand posts ago (or so), someone mentioned the possibility of this being Microsoft. I can confirm that Microsoft is indeed opening an office in GR. However, their office will only house about 8 full time workers from what I'm hearing.

And located in the suburbs, no less. :angry:

I do mean to pile on. Google needs to continue diversifying. Great Job by GRDad and srgoulet for finding the techtown Dayton and the pbs article links. Can't say that it is google moving in as one of the collaborative members..... but I hope they do.

BTW, does anyone remember when GR was David Letterman's Home office? Before the S-curve remodeling and the arena, somebody had placed a "Reserved for David Letterman" parking sign on a building next to the S -Curve in a little dirt lot under the freeway. Funny. Good times,.. good times :silly:

I'm confused. Did anyone actually say this project would cost $1, 2 or 3 billion? I think it was stated that the developer would invest $1 billion. Wasn't the MSU Med School supposed to produce $1.5 billion in economic activity over the first 10 years, and cost over $300 million just to MOVE the programs and start new ones? That might be where the billions number is coming from.

I'm confused. Did anyone actually say this project would cost $1, 2 or 3 billion? I think it was stated that the developer would invest $1 billion. Wasn't the MSU Med School supposed to produce $1.5 billion in economic activity over the first 10 years, and cost over $300 million just to MOVE the programs and start new ones? That might be where the billions number is coming from.

The one and only Ms. Shurlow gave the impression to the one and only Ms. Geha that it would COST 1-2 billion.

The one and only Ms. Shurlow gave the impression to the one and only Ms. Geha that it would COST 1-2 billion.

...and I've always assumed the "10,000 jobs" figure that gets thrown around probably includes the ripple effect, as in "every new high tech job creates X.x new supports jobs in the greater community".

Still...what an impact if it's all true!

"Yeah, a downtown GR bookstore near the size and quality of Powell's City of Books in Portland, OR would be amazing. Django's??? never heard of it."

No slant to Riverbank, but Powell's is at a whole higher level. Powell's bookstore totally blows anything away we have here. Four stories with rare book section, mini art gallery and used books right next to the new books. That place is always busy. I would be downtown every weekend if we had a bookstore of that quality.

Almost 33,000 views. A quick mention in the paper and tv news and you can see how many people are interested. There have been 105 different contributors. All in less than two weeks. I bet the media, (GR PRess and WoodTv) who mentioned this site would LOVE :wub: LOVE, LOVE to be able to have this method of feedback on all of their stories. With this type of response, you would think the story would headline until well after the announcement this month. Of course, they don't have much to report on right now; despite our best guesses.

I don't want to rain on anyones parade but this whole thing sounds way too good for Grand Rapids. One thought keeps coming to mind. If everyone involved is held with a no disclosure clause, how is it we know what we know? Could this be the best or worst April fools joke ever. They did say the other day, they would be making an announcement in a month a few days ago. Just throwing it out there.

Not sure why this isn't in here yet, but woodtv.com has another article about the project. This is the scary part:

24 Hour News 8 has learned that Grand Rapids is one of three cities being considered for a billion-dollar downtown development.

Grubb & Ellis, the real estate agency working to secure the land, told 24 Hour News 8 that Grand Rapids has risen to the top of the list over the past eight months.

Real estate agent Deborah Shurlow told 24 Hour News 8 that if those two property owners do not sell, it could derail the project. "We had a ballpark (figure in mind)," she said, but since this story broke, "it's a very different playing field than it was earlier."

Not sure why this isn't in here yet, but woodtv.com has another article about the project. This is the scary part:

24 Hour News 8 has learned that Grand Rapids is one of three cities being considered for a billion-dollar downtown development.

Grubb & Ellis, the real estate agency working to secure the land, told 24 Hour News 8 that Grand Rapids has risen to the top of the list over the past eight months.

Real estate agent Deborah Shurlow told 24 Hour News 8 that if those two property owners do not sell, it could derail the project. "We had a ballpark (figure in mind)," she said, but since this story broke, "it's a very different playing field than it was earlier."

crap.

I think we need to keep our lips sealed and our turd cutters clenched from now on.

She let it slip! Clearly from that quote it's a baseball stadium! :rofl:

In all seriousness, that's not good news. :(

-nb

The people and businesses that sacrifice to make this happen will be rewarded when this project is completed, I'm sure of it. It sounds like there are only a few holdouts, and some tax breaks left and we should hear an announcement.

Archived