Massive Riverfront Project

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He works for a large architecture firm in Chicago named Gensler, and tells me that there is some buzz among his architect friends (at other firms) about a couple of un-named high-rises being proposed for GR, but says they are bound not to disclose where/who (none of which are any of the projects being discussed here). It is killing me! He told me that Madison, Wisconsin also has a lot of projects in the works, and I hear is quite nice. A lot of developers in Chicago are looking to get into other nearby markets, because the cost of land in the Chicago area is unbearable.

Hmm Dad, maybe its time to talk your bro?

Hmm Dad, maybe its time to talk your bro?

Already did. He e-mailed his buddy who mentioned working on something here a while back, and got no response. He says that might mean it's confidential. Firm is Solomon Cordwell Beunz if that helps.

I know we were told no local companies or investers are involved but this company technically isn't local. Obviously their partnership with Alticor gives local ties but...

www.genengnews.com/news/bnitem.aspx?name=1179410XSL_NEWSML_TO_NEWSML.xml

The preventative health/nutrition/nutriceutical market is estimated to be the next TRILLION DOLLAR market in this country. Alticor's nutrition company, Nutrilite, is already the number one seller of nutrition products in the world.

Could Interleuken be gearing up with a new research/development/manufacturing facility for the upcoming breakthroughs in DNA testing?

May not be huge yet but certainly has the potential to be HUGE.

MSU was trying to get a DOE project for a Rare Isatope accelerator a few years ago, and it was going to be the only one in the world. Maybe MSU is combining that with some other alternative fuel source investment, and moving it to west michigan. :rofl:

Wow, a lot going on the last few days!

I orginally posted the sports team thread regarding an NFL team. While it certainly is possible, I doubt the GR market is going to be appealing to potential athletes looking for a vibrant, nationally recognized metropolitan area. Green Bay is great, but players go there because of the tradition. Probably tough to get them to GR. It would be nice though. :)

Back to Google....

Why on Earth would they NOT want to locate a facility, i.e. "Googleplex" here? If Google is anything, its unconventional. Look at their business. Search? Even the mighty Microsoft ignored search.

The midwest is stable. The cost of living, relatively speaking, is low. GR is centrally located. And what about the Gypsum mines in the area near the site? A nice stable, climate controlled area to store servers. :thumbsup: Add to all of this Larry Page's STRONG ties to Michigan and you have a pretty compelling argument for them to set up a complex here.

PBJ -- I like where you are going with this........but...........

Does anyone else think it ironic that this story broke shortly after the Press ran its Sunday story about all the high rise developments that didn't make it. :unsure:

I think it would really cool if Ecofoot:

http://www.ecofoot.msu.edu/

was part of the MSU College of Human Medicine that was moving here. Ecofoot is a partner with USPDESD:

http://www.uspartnership.org/

That would make sense with the notion of the "United Nations" and the "Green Bay Packers" moving here :D Google may not be moving here, but they sure have helped me a lot.

Why would it be Google...

They have absolutely no reason for a new massive campus. Yes, they may want to stretch out, but this would be unnecessary. Not to mention - yes, GR and surrounds have a lot of students - however, not the type that Google typically wants.

Furthermore - whoever keeps mentioning this dark fibre thing has no clue. There is a lot of fibre in town - because a local company owns it. I do not see Google buying them, into them, or even getting into what is a very volatile market. Unless of course, the leadership is as stupid as I am starting to think that they are.

Why would it be Google...

They have absolutely no reason for a new massive campus. Yes, they may want to stretch out, but this would be unnecessary. Not to mention - yes, GR and surrounds have a lot of students - however, not the type that Google typically wants.

Furthermore - whoever keeps mentioning this dark fibre thing has no clue. There is a lot of fibre in town - because a local company owns it. I do not see Google buying them, into them, or even getting into what is a very volatile market. Unless of course, the leadership is as stupid as I am starting to think that they are.

i mentioned the "dark fiber thing". and if you do some research of your own you will find out that Google is looking into buying dark fiber all over the country. it was just an idea, no need to say i have "no clue" unless you can prove otherwise.

Couple things:

Google buying up dark fiber has been in the tech news for a while now, nothing really new there. Nobody really knows what plans they have for it, however. But, I'm really at a loss as to how buying dark fiber relates to a real estate development at all unless Google needed more office space to support whatever program they're working on.

As for Google's stock price, a new office is not going to be filled with existing Google employees. I'm really not sure where you were even going with the "paper millionaires" bit other than perhaps having Google wouldn't really bring a huge influx of cash. But that's missing the whole point. It's jobs. Good jobs filled by locals and non-locals moving here.

That's why I think the best thing that could happen would be a huge office development with tenants lined up that are expanding to Grand Rapids. Otherwise this project will just dilute an already-weak office market without really bringing any new jobs. Really, just about whatever goes there had better bring a lot with it in terms of jobs and residents otherwise it'll just sit vacant. I have to imagine it will or the developers wouldn't even be considering such a project.

I'll pretty much guarantee this won't involve an NFL team as I don't think any expansions are happening, and if they were there are much bigger markets without an NFL team. Furthermore, we have two teams within driving distance of Grand Rapids. I would doubt an NBA team would move in as well. An NHL team is the most plausible sports team scenario as Michigan loves Hockey and we probably could support another team in this state.

Lastly, I keep coming back to this "national significance" thing. Maybe it is just referring to the scope of the project. A billion dollars or more certainly could build something on a scale that would probably make the news. Though unless it's the tallest building in the world, I doubt it will be as significant as we've all hyped it up to be. I still believe there will be something tall associated with this project, but not THAT tall, though I wish it were. :)

-nb

I think this development is going to be REALLY exciting:

1. As part of the bigger development, it hopefully will redevelop that portion of the riverfront into a great recreational area with maybe parks, amphitheatre (like has been thrown around), and other riverfront amenities.

2. If it's what I'm thinking it is, it will put us on the map in a technological "niche" that will probably see exponential growth over the next decade and beyond.

3. Hopefully someone with some money will redevelop the lot at Market & Fulton to tie this new development in to the rest of the city.

Did anyone catch the short story this AM on News 8. They quoted a statement from Grubb and Ellis about what this development would do for West Michigan. I can't remember the details and it's not on their website, but it sounded more geared towards business development than entertainment.

Did anyone catch the short story this AM on News 8. They quoted a statement from Grubb and Ellis about what this development would do for West Michigan. I can't remember the details and it's not on their website, but it sounded more geared towards business development than entertainment.

I would be more ok with it being geared toward business development because that = jobs and then those people will need housing, retail goods and services and entertainment; which will follow. If it is just an entertainment venue, it may mean a few jobs, but nothing long-term or sustainable.

i mentioned the "dark fiber thing". and if you do some research of your own you will find out that Google is looking into buying dark fiber all over the country. it was just an idea, no need to say i have "no clue" unless you can prove otherwise.

Hear Hear... no need to spout off what people do and don't know around here... There are plenty of us that know much more about a lot of things than you may assume over a message board... Not all of us come from Real Estate, and plenty of us are hardcore computer dorks.....

As far as google goes, they're in such a business that market doesn't dictate their location. They could put a campus in Juno Alaska and still do what they do.. they just need a place they can attract talent. I find the "no students they want" a bit odd, considering 2 of the founders along with other high ups are UofM alums... Yes, google likes the Stanford types, but they hire people from all over... But they obviously aren't comming.. :rolleyes:

Archived