Massive Riverfront Project

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am intrigued by the possibility that this is Google coming to town. They were indeed just looking at Ann Arbor and Boston over the summer. They seem to have decided against both of these options because there was not enough cheap land for sale downtown. After that they started a media blackout surrounding the process of selecting a location.

It has been pointed out in the past that 30 acres is too much for 200,000 square feet. If you take a look at the existing Googleplex you will see that they dont have a high density of square footage per acre. Also, they just bought 30 acres in Oregon close to a river: http://www.webpronews.com/news/ebusinessne...nOregonHmm.html

Yeah I think major media, while definately unique to Grand Rapids, is about as far out in left field as you can get. I'm stuck with the entertainment complex idea, prolly some cool high rise/s. Atlanta, and St. Louis, are both very accessibly, via air and land. Michigan Grand Rapids in Particular is isolated. Not easily accessible by road, mainly due to a giant lake 30 miles to the west. And our airport leaves something to desire. I don't think you can expect much of a major corporation from outside the area relocating here. The chances could be a little better, once the airport is more than regional.

Just watched the bit about the project on News 8 - seemed rather 'silly'.

Although - some of the examples that were listed gives us some insight into the grandiose nature of this 'mystery project'.

For what it's worth - I have read this thread in its entirety - I love all the thoughts and speculation on what this project may be. I hope we aren't left disappointed!

I am intrigued by the possibility that this is Google coming to town. They were indeed just looking at Ann Arbor and Boston over the summer. They seem to have decided against both of these options because there was not enough cheap land for sale downtown. After that they started a media blackout surrounding the process of selecting a location.

It has been pointed out in the past that 30 acres is too much for 200,000 square feet. If you take a look at the existing Googleplex you will see that they dont have a high density of square footage per acre. Also, they just bought 30 acres in Oregon close to a river: http://www.webpronews.com/news/ebusinessne...nOregonHmm.html

google could be it

but it's not my pick

okay, i think its probably a long shot that google comes here, but since there has been some more chatter about it in the last few posts i will ask you to read post #813 again. i never got any replies to it. maybe everyone just thought it was a stupid post, but i would like to hear what some people think about it, or even if they have heard that google is working on this at all....

Sony is broke - for all intents and purposes.

Google has little cash to be blowing on speculation - they need to make a consistant profit first.

If it is to be media, the most likely player would be the Microsoft. They have plenty of cash and well, it is as reasonable as the other suggestions. How about the earlier rumors of EA moving a development center to the area? Could this be part of it?

Who knows. My money is still on government and energy research.

Now that I've read all 50 pages, (i've reread at least one of them), I'm tempted to stay on and be the one to post the one-thousandth post. One thousand times one million is a Billion. The initial investing entity may not be bringing forth that much, just the catalyst for the full Billion or two or three. Sky's the limit. I can only get excited about Green auto technology so we don't have to invade another oil-rich nation, or a company like Google. Not much else here I read about interests me in the least. Google could be involved in creating the reasearch campus. Green-energy and VAI-like research would be a wise collaborative effort for them. Many of the employees of google became rich with stock from the IPO. Hence, the "upscale" shopping and entertainment. Yes, a wacky idea to tailor thirty acres for one company's employees downtime.

Any connection between this and the automotive industry has me worried.

Last thing I want to see is something that contributes to massive layoffs 10-20 years from now :(

I Just saw the Daily Show spo0ofing Bush on his Advanced Energy Initiative. He was at a Johnson Controls where they are developing batteries for electric vehicles.

we probably wont even hit 1000 tomorrow. :whistling:

Sounds like we might have an announcement in the next few days? Whether this is automotive related or not, the more I read up on advances coming in the automotive electronics and hybrid markets, Grand Rapids would be stupid not to embrace these companies and try and lure them here. I can't wait to plug in my car :thumbsup:

Here are some more observations, and you slueths can do the digging (remember, I know nothing and I have not signed any confidentiality agreements):

Google has been working on the science of Bioinformatics and the research of gene sequencing

Google has been fighting worries around the country regarding privacy and access to data via the internet, especially when it comes to healthcare and patient related information

This discussion of "dark fiber" is intriguing. Instead of an internet that is "public domain" like we are all so used to, what if Google reinvents a new internet back to its origins, as a means of research and communication between academia, and holds it as a private entity to better insure security?

I hope GaryP reads this because I know exactly where he will go to look :D What else was going to cost over $1 billion and talked about all over Grand Rapids recently? Hmmmmmmm.

Google has been working on the science of Bioinformatics and the research of gene sequencing

This discussion of "dark fiber" is intriguing. Instead of an internet that is "public domain" like we are all so used to, what if Google reinvents a new internet back to its origins, as a means of research and communication between academia, and holds it as a private entity to better insure security?

I really like this idea. It fits with the company's interests as well as city's healthcare/research initiatives. If this were to happen, we would see an influx of electronic medical record management organizations in the area as a result. Heathcare providers like Spectrum, Priority Health and MMPC as well as the research-heavy VAI, University of Michigan and Pfizer, not to mention Abbott Labs and Takeda Pharmaceuticals in suburban Chicago could be great partners and efficient proving grounds for a renewed "research Internet" program.

I hope GaryP reads this because I know exactly where he will go to look :D What else was going to cost over $1 billion and talked about all over Grand Rapids recently? Hmmmmmmm.

Private "internet" is somewhat already happening with the Internet2, or more specifically the Abilene Network which is a private network supported by major network carriers that doesn't actually peer with anything else on the internet as we know it. There's tons more to read about this, but I'll let you google it :P so we stay somewhat on topic

edit: Fixed Abilene Link

Archived