Massive Riverfront Project

GRDadof3

Hmmm... How cool would it be for an international record/media corporation to build a multimedia campus in GR filled with recording studios, music incubators for new talent, outdoor music amphitheaters, housing, extreme recreation venues, retail.....

I second that.

or maybe it relates to this project in Lincoln, IL. One of the developers is from GR and the other started XPLEX parks.

it's more like viacom or sony a major media company

too good to be true?????

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the dollar amounts we're talking I'd count on at least one high rise. I'd love to see Grand Rapids get a 60-floor building that would add some variety to the skyline. It seems all the tall buildings in town are about the same height and it's a little boring. It would look really cool driving south on 131 straight towards it before the S-Curve veers off. Plus an observation deck would be cool.

-nb

I agree... I think variation can really add to the skyline. I had plans on atleast adding the highrises closer to the S-curve so the buildings aren't so far from Center City. When I place the buildings close to Wealthy or closer to the river it really throws the skyline off.

I agree with Downhill-Racer, especially after conversations I've had today. In addition, I hear that the $1B+ cost will be anchored by a high-rise, greater than what we currently know in the city.

My vote is now on Sony.

Anyone hear of plans for Sony to build new Midwest HQ / US HQ?

my bet is that it is NOT sony

but a large media co. record div./music

and it's not billions

maybe up to a billion

and that my friend is a lot of money

One thing I can say about the riverfront project's impact...

Until the full story comes out, it will have a severe impact on other projects trying to get off the ground.

See today's GRBJ for evidence. I think we'll see several developers dragging their heels to see exactly what they have popping up in their neighborhood.

None of the very competent and sensitive local developers will want to go up against big money. They'll want to make friends.

One thing I can say about the riverfront project's impact...

Until the full story comes out, it will have a severe impact on other projects trying to get off the ground.

See today's GRBJ for evidence. I think we'll see several developers dragging their heels to see exactly what they have popping up in their neighborhood.

None of the very competent and sensitive local developers will want to go up against big money. They'll want to make friends.

That's what I was thinking with places like Icon, Riverhouse and other places that seem to be taking an awfully long time to get going.. I'm sure they heard rumblings well before we did here

Confidentiality agreement or not, I can guarantee you the power players (like Grooters) have known what's up for a while. You can't build a 34+ story building without your due diligence finding something afoot.

As far as a major media company, my question would be why? There is no reason for a major media company to come any closer than Chicago, and even then it would be a limited presence. NYC and LA are where it's at as far as media.

I think people may be getting a little slap happy around here. I'd rather just not speculate and enjoy the announcement (or I'll build it up in my mind to be something that it is not).

Joe

That's what I was thinking with places like Icon, Riverhouse and other places that seem to be taking an awfully long time to get going.. I'm sure they heard rumblings well before we did here

how long until this thread hits 1000 posts? and beyond that what thread hold's the all time post record? i mean we're nearly at 1,000 with nearly a month of speculation to go.

with msu tanking in basketball, im more excited for this then i am for march madness!

Confidentiality agreement or not, I can guarantee you the power players (like Grooters) have known what's up for a while. You can't build a 34+ story building without your due diligence finding something afoot.

As far as a major media company, my question would be why? There is no reason for a major media company to come any closer than Chicago, and even then it would be a limited presence. NYC and LA are where it's at as far as media.

I think people may be getting a little slap happy around here. I'd rather just not speculate and enjoy the announcement (or I'll build it up in my mind to be something that it is not).

Joe

joe

don't rule out the media play

and as far as why gr why not

they are now in atlanta and st louis

i will say this,the power players just may not know

and that tells me,this may be more smoke than fire

how long until this thread hits 1000 posts? and beyond that what thread hold's the all time post record? i mean we're nearly at 1,000 with nearly a month of speculation to go.

with msu tanking in basketball, im more excited for this then i am for march madness!

The Watering Hole holds that record, although it has been around a lot longer. :thumbsup:

I thought I had this thing 99% figured out at least three different times this past week. :lol:

I'm back to square one as far as speculating, BUT judging by the confidence of a couple people who do know, I'm still convinced that, whatever it is, it will be BIG for Grand Rapids in a good way.

Hmmm... How cool would it be for an international record/media corporation to build a multimedia campus in GR filled with recording studios, music incubators for new talent, outdoor music amphitheaters, housing, extreme recreation venues, retail.....

I second that.

or maybe it relates to this project in Lincoln, IL. One of the developers is from GR and the other started XPLEX parks.

I was thinking about something like this as well but let's add one of those huge indoor ski parks like what was just built in Dubai.

Archived