Branson/Springfield

Thanks for the links! Those are great attractions and not so much the amateurish "zoos" we have here. I can't believe there are still no plans for anything like that here.

Northwest Arkansas may be a great place to do business and a great place to listen to live music down on Dickson Street but it's still in the stone age when it comes to "family-oriented" leisure and attractions. You figure with an estimated population equal to Springfield there would be more for the kids and families here.

I guess I'll just have to settle for taking my son to one of the many little parks here so he can crawl around on some cheap little broken down playground equipment until something better comes along. I just hope he'll still be a kid when and if it happens.

Yeah it would be nice to have a little more something here in NWA. As far as parks go Wilson Park here in Fayetteville is pretty nice although I guess it's a bit of a drive just to go to the park for someone like you who lives in Benton County.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it would be nice to have a little more something here in NWA. As far as parks go Wilson Park here in Fayetteville is pretty nice although I guess it's a bit of a drive just to go to the park for someone like you who lives in Benton County.

I've mentioned Wilson Park as being my favorite park in another thread. I'm planning my son's 2nd birthday at Wilson Park... we're talking barbecue, horseshoes, kite flying and the kids playing in the playground and exploring the Wilson Park Castle. :thumbsup:

I wonder if the swimming pool will be open this summer?

But as you said... it's not really close enough for me to take my family to often. Lake Atalanta is pretty nice although some of the playground equipment is pretty shoddy. I'm hoping they get the mini-golf and paddle boats going this year.

Lake Atlanta used to be nice, but they've had some crime activity there in the past few years. There was the stalker and the grafitti and a few other serious crimes that have happened their. It's still a beautiful place, by far my favorite park in Rogers. I especially like the other side of the park on the right of the road.

I've mentioned Wilson Park as being my favorite park in another thread. I'm planning my son's 2nd birthday at Wilson Park... we're talking barbecue, horseshoes, kite flying and the kids playing in the playground and exploring the Wilson Park Castle. :thumbsup:

I wonder if the swimming pool will be open this summer?

But as you said... it's not really close enough for me to take my family to often. Lake Atalanta is pretty nice although some of the playground equipment is pretty shoddy. I'm hoping they get the mini-golf and paddle boats going this year.

I would assume the swimming pool will be open this summer was it not last summer? The few times I was over there I'm pretty sure I saw it open at least some of the time.

Lake Atlanta used to be nice, but they've had some crime activity there in the past few years. There was the stalker and the grafitti and a few other serious crimes that have happened their. It's still a beautiful place, by far my favorite park in Rogers. I especially like the other side of the park on the right of the road.

Springfield can definatley relate to crime in parks. Doling Park, which is on the meth-infested North Side, has a crime almost every week. If its not a killing or a shooting, it would be a rape or drug bust. This park has gone under an extreme renovation but its the neighborhoods around it that need to be blown up. Im serious it wouldn't be hard with all those meth labs over there. Along with Doling the many parks around downtown are in the ghetto as well. Now that Im talking about the north side, I really can't belive how stupid our city counselmen are. For the past 20 years now the North Side has been neglected for any development because of the meth problem. With I-44's path right thru the north side I don't understand why the city would not want to focuss on that part of town for redevelopment or development. It's like duhhh.... traffic, people, Money! If you pass through Springfield on the I-44 you most likely wouldn't think that theres a big city behind all those trees and beat-up houses. With all the development going on off of US 65 and James River Freeway on the south side you would think that they would get the hint. Well, just until last year, with no thanks to the city, some local developer's finally got the picture and there are some area's that are having major developments and redevelopments. I guess Im being a little hard on the city counslemen because they have done a tremendous job in other area's of city gov. but it just annoy's me that it took this long to get the North Side up and going once again. Sorry I'll shut up now.

Actually I'd like to know if Springfield/Branson has any nice parks with facilities such as playgrounds, swimming pool, grills and pavilions, etc? I like roughing it a bit when I go outdoors but for a family picnic I do like lots of amenities.

I know I talked about the bad parks around town but the Springfield-Greene County Park Board is actually a National Gold Medal Award winning department. Check out the facilities on the website, I think you'll be very pleased with all the parks, family centers, and amenities that the Park's in Springfield and Greene County offer. Branson has many great parks, campgrounds, and many other fine facilities as well. They just finished a state-of-the-art sports and recreation center complex in Branson Hills and contains fitness, recreation, aquatics park and organized athletics at one convenient location. The completed 44,000 square foot recreation center features two gymnasiums, a fitness center, indoor track, locker rooms, community rooms, game rooms and concession area. This is just a hint of what the Springfield/Branson park board's offer.

Bransons Park Board Website:Branson Park Board

I know I talked about the bad parks around town but the Springfield-Greene County Park Board is actually a National Gold Medal Award winning department. Check out the facilities on the website, I think you'll be very pleased with all the parks, family centers, and amenities that the Park's in Springfield and Greene County offer. Branson has many great parks, campgrounds, and many other fine facilities as well. They just finished a state-of-the-art sports and recreation center complex in Branson Hills and contains fitness, recreation, aquatics park and organized athletics at one convenient location. The completed 44,000 square foot recreation center features two gymnasiums, a fitness center, indoor track, locker rooms, community rooms, game rooms and concession area. This is just a hint of what the Springfield/Branson park board's offer.

Bransons Park Board Website:Branson Park Board

That is quite an impressive list of parks with lots of amenities! I guess I'm just going to have to plan a trip to Springfield this summer to check it out. It does seem to be more family-oriented than Northwest Arkansas and the home prices aren't as inflated as here and the median income and unemployment rates are about the same as here.

I don't think I ever mentioned that there is a 3D IMAX Theater going in at Bass Pro and Wonders of Wildlife Zooquarium. Once the IMAX is completed it the whole project containing all three buildings will be called The American Sportsman's Heritage Center and will attract many more patrons from all over the US. Here is a link to a rendering and more info on the IMAX and Heritage Center: [/url=http://www.wondersofwildlife.org/REVSITE/HTML/StrategicVision.htm]The American Sportsman's Heritage Center

I thought I would post the Rendering of what the Jordan Valley Park will look like once completed:

master_plan_large.jpg

Thanks slyder... the list just keeps going and going for Springfield. Your city really seems to care for it's residents more than the overall greed flowing through Northwest Arkansas. I know that seems quite harsh but when they decided to knock down a family amusement park so they could build a new shopping center that sounds more like greed than concern for resident's quality of life.

Thanks slyder... the list just keeps going and going for Springfield. Your city really seems to care for it's residents more than the overall greed flowing through Northwest Arkansas. I know that seems quite harsh but when they decided to knock down a family amusement park so they could build a new shopping center that sounds more like greed than concern for resident's quality of life.

The city does a great job making sure that the quality of life in Springfield is as good as it gets. I know it's probably been hard for NWA to really start planning for a great park system because of all the focus on dealing with the growth and infinstructure. I'm sure after the growth starts to slow down the city government's will be able to focus on the "quality of life" issue more.

The city does a great job making sure that the quality of life in Springfield is as good as it gets. I know it's probably been hard for NWA to really start planning for a great park system because of all the focus on dealing with the growth and infinstructure. I'm sure after the growth starts to slow down the city government's will be able to focus on the "quality of life" issue more.

Being from a Fayetteville perspective we have some nice parks although I think there's a lot more that can be done. After taking part in some city meetings recently I can say that there are certainly a number of citizens here that want more green space and I think they city will probably start focusing a bit more on it.

I don't know if any of you heard but the Springfield Cardinals are playing Memphis at the NEW BUSCH STADIUM on April 4 in St. Louis. The St. Louis Cards are opening on April 10. I just thought that was some exciting news to share with everyone. :D

Improving quality of life issues in Northwest Arkansas are in some planning stages in the various cities, but they've been in the planning stage for years. My concern is that nothing will go into the completed stage until after my son graduates high school and by then I wouldn't care about belated concern for quality of life. The problem is that too many people equate quality of life with playing golf and eating at a fine restaurant and having "upscale" stores to shop at then retreating to a luxury home that would cost half as much in other metro's that offer a "real" quality of life.

I know I'm just ragging Northwest Arkansas, but I'm just down about this whole "quality of life" thing down here. "Great Outdoors" definitely, but "Quality of Life" is more than just camping, hiking and great fishing spots.

I don't know if any of you heard but the Springfield Cardinals are playing Memphis at the NEW BUSCH STADIUM on April 4 in St. Louis. The St. Louis Cards are opening on April 10. I just thought that was some exciting news to share with everyone. :D

We don't get a lot of sports news from over the border. To be honest in NWA we really don't even get a lot of sports news out of Little Rock.

Quality of life is what you make it. They could build everything everybody has ever wished for in Northwest Arkansas and Springfield, and there would still be people not happy with their quality of life. The truth is, you can be happy and have a great quality of life wherever you are, you just have to be creative and not a boring person. As much as I hate Pine Bluff, I have family there that are very happy living there and they feel that they have a great quality of life. I could do the same there...but no reason to do that when I have such a great quality of life here in Little Rock :)

Quality of life is what you make it. They could build everything everybody has ever wished for in Northwest Arkansas and Springfield, and there would still be people not happy with their quality of life. The truth is, you can be happy and have a great quality of life wherever you are, you just have to be creative and not a boring person. As much as I hate Pine Bluff, I have family there that are very happy living there and they feel that they have a great quality of life. I could do the same there...but no reason to do that when I have such a great quality of life here in Little Rock :)

I agree that quality of life is what you make it. And I'm not saying that Northwest Arkansas doesn't offer some quality of life, such as local museums, parks and a couple mini-golf courses. What I'm saying though is that with all the growth and "prosperity" in Northwest Arkansas it would be nice to see at least some of the family-oriented attractions that make living in a city like Springfield and many others that much more enjoyable.

A couple points for my concern:

• Mayor Dan Coody rejected the idea of an aquarium in Fayetteville

• Rogers demolished Paradise Island Family Fun Center to make way for a shopping center

• Makahiki Beach Water Park was put on eternal hold due to local government not wanting it

This is only in the last couple years and I can't remember the last time they opened a family-oriented attraction in Northwest Arkansas other than the Jones Center for Families which opened in 1998, shortly after I moved here. Other than the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art there are currently no plans for any family-oriented attractions to add to our quality of life in Northwest Arkansas.

Don't take this that I'm dissatisfied with living in Northwest Arkansas... I only have my 20 month old son's interests at heart. I would like for him to experience all the great wonders and excitement that I experience that I had as a child.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that an aquarium costs a lot of money, barely makes a profit, and is quite boring. Aquariums are something that no one really wants to build anymore. There are many things that everybody would like to see go into an area to enhance the "quality of life" but the cities just can't go putting things in because some people wish for them. We'd all like to see the water park, even a theme park, but it's very objective to say either of those would add to anyone's quality of life. The truth is, very few cities have them...so if you want your son to enjoy them, you will have to travel and go on vacation...we don't always need every kind of fun in our back yards. There are many huge cities that don't have many of the things people in NWA wish for. Ex. Nashville, TN. Cities have to take into account what is best for the entire region, not just people wishing for the stars. I read an article today talking about the Railway excursion from Van Buren to Rogers...that's a wonderful family attraction...but hardly any of its riders are from the area...most are from out of state or from another part of the state. There are plenty of things there now that people don't take advantage of and enjoy...so why should the area add more things to be ignored?

Did the mayor actually reject the idea of an aquarium or did he say he just didn't think there would be enough support for one yet? I had gotten the impression it was the latter.

The mayor did say Fayetteville couldn't support an aquarium, but he also didn't give it a second thought. That seemed like rejection with the excuse that his town couldn't support it, yet the town can support an Arts Center.

Archived