201 twenty-one progress

tuffsim

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damnit, you beat me to it. Glad to see things moving closer.

I looked at the site on Roseland Property and fopund a rendering. Not sure if it's old or not, but I don't recall a courtyard with pool, etc. Is this old?

Check individual developments

That's always been a part of the plans and still is as far as I know. You don't see it because the newspaper articles have only posted renderings of the side that faces the street.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

looks like they are just using the bones of the structure to be able to get the tax credits.

Most of the existing building is slated to be used as a parking garage, with the majority of new construction being the actual units and retail. And yes they are keeping the bones to qualify for tax breaks.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a sign out front that has a web address on it that says www.201twentyone.com. Every time I go there though I get redirected to this "whereoware" marketing crap. It would've been nice if they had gotten their site up and running before they put an address up on a sign telling you to go there.. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I drove by this morning to see progress, and yes they are moving along.

I just don't understand why they are using lumber framing instead of metal.

It's cheaper, right?

It's cheaper and it kinda concerns me too. When I see lumber I think vinyl siding. Hope i'm wrong about that. That would look horribly cheap and completely out of character with ghent.

I drove by this morning to see progress, and yes they are moving along.

I just don't understand why they are using lumber framing instead of metal.

It's cheaper, right?

Wood framing is cheaper that metal studs, but not by a lot. Often it's a matter of finding enough skilled labor to work with metal studs. Anyone with a hammer and circular saw can bill himself as a wood framer. Steel framing is not a much harder, but not as many people have experience working with it.

Steel has some slight advantages over wood. Steel does not warp, but most wood framing is reasonably straight when it is delivered to the jobsite. Steel is non-combustible, but the building must be sprinklered, so that is not a big factor. Wood is susceptible to rot and termites. Steel can rust, but it is galvanized and also protected inside the building, so deterioration is usually not a problem with steel. Both steel and wood can be designed to support whatever loads can be reasonably expected for three- or four-story buildings. Any exterior cladding (wood, stone, brick, vinyl) can be applied to either wood or metal studs.

It's cheaper and it kinda concerns me too. When I see lumber I think vinyl siding. Hope i'm wrong about that. That would look horribly cheap and completely out of character with ghent.

It reeks of lame construction.

Noise isolation will probably be bad.

There are a bunch of apartments or something going up along Bute street in Norfolk. They are using aluminum studs. Units look small, but you can't totally tell. I bet noise isolation will be bad also, but it will be nice to have 200+ apartments competing on the top end of the market, where no one will want to spend.

Didn't 388 boush use wood studs? I think it did. Wood studs are actually better

Wood studs, but there was a metal i-beam frame under it.

Concrete is teh win.

• 3 weeks later...

This project is flying along at a pretty brisk clip now, the framing is nearly complete for the entire building already, there were plenty of people on site last Wednesday when i drove by, working on all aspects of the project. Still working on framing throughout, but this project has come along way in a month ^_^ ^_^

Archived