201 twenty-one progress

tuffsim

Short Pump? I wouldn't pay to live there.

The 201 is a combination of wood and concrete structure. They used the interior of the original Sears/Farm Fresh building for some parts. I wouldn't pay the rent's myself but if it doesn't work out then they will just have to lower the prices....

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short Pump? I wouldn't pay to live there.

The 201 is a combination of wood and concrete structure. They used the interior of the original Sears/Farm Fresh building for some parts. I wouldn't pay the rent's myself but if it doesn't work out then they will just have to lower the prices....

Well that will be obvious in the long run, but I think that's the plight of many people on the board and of me personally. Yeah, I believe in capitalism and all that good stuff, but there is a component of greed that is in play here. I believe its a "ridiculous" district in all cities, its the nature of the beast, but I do not think 201 is that or should be included in that. I just want to know how can afford this.. I could afford it, but I couldn't pay for water lights and food. 2300 a month is a lot for what they are providing.

I'd be willing to bet that the goal of both 201 21 and the Belmont at Freemason is for them to get a few people paying those rents (to claim the market can support it) then sell it off to suckers that aren't familiar with the market.

I just ran into someone who lived in my building (who I haven't seen for a while). He said he had moved out to somewhere cheaper around the corner (this is in Freemason) and now is moving over to Portsmouth because he can save $400 a month. I know another local guy who just moved in with his girl, so that frees up another spot (and he said there are 2 or 3 other empty units in the building).

I've been seeing some 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage houses show up for rent for $1K complete with washer dryer hookup. Might have to think about moving back to VaBeach myself. Heh.

Family of mine just moved into an apartment complex in the Beach next to Regent University for $900/ month.. Spacious, clean, balcony, ect.. AT least not every place in HR is overpriced.. Just near the center of the cities..

That sound like a nice place but if it's a one bedroom...its still kinda pricey for Hampton Roads...I would like to pay $600-800 for a one bedroom around here in a nice area. We don't have the jobs and affluence that areas like Richmond and NOVA/DC has....that is what I meant by that statement.

Yea $900 for 2bd/2bath is a bit more reasonable I guess.

I forsee the high rents driving away more people.

It's kind of moronic on behalf of the people building the new apartment buildings, but they are out of touch.

At both of the companies I've worked for in downtown Norfolk, anyone older already has a 3500+ square foot home on property. They'd never give it up.

The young people were looking for the lowest cost stuff. The one that lived in the new construction over near Taco Bell said the building was crap, no noise isolation, and they were upping rents to cover the costs of repairing the brand new building. So he moved to Greenbriar for something lower cost.

I think the line of thinking is that people are going to loose their homes to foreclosure and move into the expensive apartments. But I wouldn't be surprised if the management companies reject the ruined credit foreclosure people. AND, in many cases, the foreclosure is a result of a job loss or spectulation gone bad. Speculation is probably the case of someone who bought on a teaser rate loan.

It was easier to buy a house than rent an apartment in the bubble, even if you didn't make enough to actually pay for the house after the loan teaser expired.

I dunno. We'll see. I keep meaning to stop by the rental office and see how little you get for your money at the new place.

• 4 weeks later...

It's 11:14AM on a Wednesday morning.

119 people have listed their places for rent on Craigslist, by now.

Prior days seem to have 450+ listings.

Lots of people looking for renters.

With every moron in America trying to buy 10 houses as rentals, seeing it as the way to riches, at some point there is going to be no one left to rent all the extra houses that the speculators bought. And the speculators outbidding each other runs the prices up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Those look like retail storefronts, this is a perfect example of what Norfolk should be building...and this is what should of been built down on York and Brambleton area. I hope the city sees more projects like this one.

Yeah, I'm very impressed. This is MUCH better looking than Belmont at Freemason, and has retail. The red of the brick looks great.

I personally like it's location. I'm hoping that it helps to redevelop it's surrounding neighborhood, such as the small strip mall across the street.

You guys may call me dumb for even thinking about this.. but...

I belive if more urban projects like this sprouted up around the City of Norfolk, and the city became more urban, clean, wide sidewalks, storefront retail, etc. more and more people would move to Norfolk. I honestly think there are many people in the metro, especially the younger crowd,itching to get out of Chesapeake, Suffolk, Va Beach to some extent, Portsmouth , etc. The suburbs are unattractive. Neighborhoods with no sidewalks, huge parking lots, drive-thrus, etc. There's no doubt in my mind if all of Norfolk looked like 201 Twenty one, the population would be 500,000+

I personally like it's location. I'm hoping that it helps to redevelop it's surrounding neighborhood, such as the small strip mall across the street.

You guys may call me dumb for even thinking about this.. but...

I belive if more urban projects like this sprouted up around the City of Norfolk, and the city became more urban, clean, wide sidewalks, storefront retail, etc. more and more people would move to Norfolk. I honestly think there are many people in the metro, especially the younger crowd,itching to get out of Chesapeake, Suffolk, Va Beach to some extent, Portsmouth , etc. The suburbs are unattractive. Neighborhoods with no sidewalks, huge parking lots, drive-thrus, etc. There's no doubt in my mind if all of Norfolk looked like 201 Twenty one, the population would be 500,000+

Are you kidding? Dumb? What you are thinking is what I would think about growing up in that metro (I grew up in Virginia Beach.) Norfolk was my closest connection to an urban city and it always bothered me that there were so many potential areas for things like this to happen but nothing was being done to push the city in that direction.

I have pointed this out before, Norfolk and San Francisco are the same size, land wise...so there is no reason that Norfolk cannot become a city as dense as San Francisco (though realistically, even just being 1/4 the density of SF would be impressive.)

I think it is important for the city to continue to push for these forms of developments...along with that, the city needs to push for focal points within neighborhoods so that each neighborhood can create its own identity as well as unity to the rest of the city...There also needs to be a continued push for a structured bus system within the city, as well as inner city rail (or streetcars, which are basically just smaller light rail trains) for the inner neighborhood connections, then having them converse within downtown to create a rail and bus system that is as much apart of the city as the cars (if not more.) Then while doing this, the improvements to bike lanes to help encourage more people to ride bikes (including programs that promote bikes within other races that live within the city.) Then of course, the education system needs improvements, schools that are in need of renovations should be taken care of to help increase the quality of the environments within the schools.

The funny thing about all of this is that it isnt that hard for the city to do all of these things and they are goals I could see the city reaching. Portland just scored a ton of federal money to construct a new streetcar line along our eastside...all Norfolk and Hampton Roads needs is someone in Congress that is looking out for the region and bringing in money to help stimulate this list the city should be working on.

Yeah, I honestly believe if all of Norfolk had med.density apartment buildings like 201 Twenty ONe with wide sidewalks, ground floor retail, etc. a lot of people from the surrounding cities would move there.

And Norfolk already has a good bus system. Busses cover about the entire city and run every 5-30 minutes.

Oh and urbnlife, did you know Norfolk is more dense than Portland??

Archived