201 twenty-one progress

tuffsim

It looks good, for some reason though, I cannot picture where this building is located on 21st. Some shots of it in context to its surroundings would be nice.

Can't offer pictures, but perhaps this will help. It is in the block bounded by 21st St. to the north, Omohundro Ave. to the east, 20th St. to the south, and Llewellyn Ave. to the west.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't offer pictures, but perhaps this will help. It is in the block bounded by 21st St. to the north, Omohundro Ave. to the east, 20th St. to the south, and Llewellyn Ave. to the west.

I had to look up the block on Google, 8 years since I left Hampton Roads, I was bound to forget some parts of the city. It took me a few minutes of looking around that part of 21st to even remember it....oddly, it was the Wigs Store that made me remember the area haha.

Shame to see it replaces that old brick building (which I am assuming it did, but this is definitely a huge block to redevelop...hopefully it will help kick start more development in that area.

Speaking of which, how is that area doing, is it retaining its retail well or are "for lease" signs popping up?

Has the ground floor retail been scratched for this development?

That's what I'm wondering. It appears that the 20th Street side, which was supposed to be retail, is almost entirely residential. I don't have a problem with that considering all the other retial in that area. We need people. You know, consumers.

Speaking of which, how is that area doing, is it retaining its retail well or are "for lease" signs popping up?

Noticed this yesterday. In that section of 21st, unfortunately, quite a few "for lease" signs have gone up. So it might be tough to get those filled up initially. I HAVE heard though that one of the retails spots in this building will be a tanning salon.

Noticed this yesterday. In that section of 21st, unfortunately, quite a few "for lease" signs have gone up. So it might be tough to get those filled up initially. I HAVE heard though that one of the retails spots in this building will be a tanning salon.

They might be able to fill them if they lowered the price (weren't so greedy).

Landlords are stuck at the peak of the housing mania, and unwilling to accept the fact that people didn't really have that much money (it was just debt).

On another note, the site was the original target of the "Future home of Wal*Mart" banner that got some publicity when it appeared at the Granby Tower site (or at least, that's the rumor I heard).

They might be able to fill them if they lowered the price (weren't so greedy).

Landlords are stuck at the peak of the housing mania, and unwilling to accept the fact that people didn't really have that much money (it was just debt).

On another note, the site was the original target of the "Future home of Wal*Mart" banner that got some publicity when it appeared at the Granby Tower site (or at least, that's the rumor I heard).

The major thing going on here are tenants trying to renegotiate their leases for lower rents because of how high it is.

It appears as though they are close to opening. Doe anyone have any information as to when this will happen?

My shot in the dark is sometime in july.

Will the pricing of newer apartment complexes (Riverhouse , Belmont @ Freemason, The Alexander) reflect 201, making it around the $1200+ (1bdrm) ballpark?

It appears as though they are close to opening. Doe anyone have any information as to when this will happen?

My shot in the dark is sometime in july.

Will the pricing of newer apartment complexes (Riverhouse , Belmont @ Freemason, The Alexander) reflect 201, making it around the $1200+ (1bdrm) ballpark?

201 21 has no prices listed yet:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/V...enty-One/85763/

Belmont @ Freemason:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/V...reemason/82944/

$1199/mo+ for 1 bed/1 bath

$1599/mo+ for 2 bed/2 bath

Retarded!

I just ordered Richard London's "Rise of the creative class" and "Who's your city." Who's your city has a website, www.whosyourcity.com which has charts of best places.

What matters is, are the prices within the navy housing allowance?

(Hint, My friend's 4bd/2.5bath/2 car garage house in a nice neighborhood in VaBeach, on a little creek is $1600ish a month IIRC).

I just ordered Richard London's "Rise of the creative class" and "Who's your city." Who's your city has a website, www.whosyourcity.com which has charts of best places.

What matters is, are the prices within the navy housing allowance?

(Hint, My friend's 4bd/2.5bath/2 car garage house in a nice neighborhood in VaBeach, on a little creek is $1600ish a month IIRC).

I'm ordering the book too! His speaking fee is 40K! Anyone got 40K to bring him here? :P

I'm ordering the book too! His speaking fee is 40K! Anyone got 40K to bring him here? :P

The creative class brought us Bit Torrent. So download a recording of a prior talk :-)

I got the books from Half.com. Came out to ~$11 shipped, both hardback. Hopefully no pubes or boogers.

The major thing going on here are tenants trying to renegotiate their leases for lower rents because of how high it is.

Yeah rents are too high...especially in Ghent and Downtown Norfolk. I heard from Rick Henn of the City of Norfolk Economic Development that Trader Joe's would like to open a location in Ghent but Norfolk don't have the 2 acres of land for them to locate. Even though this is a chain...Trader Joe's is a great store and Ghent would be a suitable area for a Trader Joe's but Ghent landlords need to lower their rents to get these choice national retailers....as well as aspiring local business owners (mom and pop stores) to open. With the economy tanked...people don't have as much money to spend.

• 2 weeks later...

Prices are finally posted for 201 21st street. Mad overpriced, maybe they can get the navy to pay this much to get renters.

I don't see many privately employed people standing in line to pay this much for an apartment:

Studio / 1 bath / 708sqft / $1200/month

1Bd / 1 Bath / 708 - 1065sqft / $1200/month to $1650/month

2Bd / 2 Bath / 1017 - 1757sqft / $$1650 - $2350/month

$2350 for a sh%%y apartment?

Hah! Hope they go bankrupt.

Prices are finally posted for 201 21st street. Mad overpriced, maybe they can get the navy to pay this much to get renters.

I don't see many privately employed people standing in line to pay this much for an apartment:

2Bd / 2 Bath / 1017 - 1757sqft / $1650 - $2350/month

That's ***** ridiculous. Even if I was navy & had the 1k housing allowance I wouldn't want to put it towards this nonsense!

700 sf for 1200??? That's absolutely insane. Who could possibly believe they could fill a complex with those rates?

I guess we get to see?

I was talking to a friend about the idea of a program where you aim a camera at a building and it logs nighttime lights in the window, to try to guess occupancy. For instance, you could try to gauge a hotel or apartment complex based on lights at night.

I guess we get to see?

I was talking to a friend about the idea of a program where you aim a camera at a building and it logs nighttime lights in the window, to try to guess occupancy. For instance, you could try to gauge a hotel or apartment complex based on lights at night.

So are there any vacancies in my building? I'd assume you could tally that easily. Studio's here are $400/month less than at 201 twenty-one! Get 'em while they're hot.

I think the area could really do better if they lowered rents and stopped making every new apartment complex "luxury.." More people would be inclined to stay here after college && I'm sure downtown norfolk would see more people willing to live in the center of the city if they didn't have to pay an arm and a leg..

2Bd / 2 Bath / 1017 - 1757sqft / $$1650 - $2350/month

Wow this is absurd...didn't they use some plywood and cheaper supplies to build this development? Why are the prices so high? This is Norfolk, not Northern VA, Short Pump of Richmond, etc...We don't have the jobs in Hampton Roads to support this.

Archived