Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

and here I was hoping that the driving force for architecture in the Fort Norfolk part would take on a more Netherlands style of modern architecture. That would of created such an amazing area for the city and really would of took thinks up a notch for Hampton Roads.

But no, instead the city gets proposals of bad 80's crap that should of been buried and the designers shot a long time ago.

Would it be evil of me to email the pilot the rendering of this thing? :whistling: I think the public has a right to know. :lol:

Go ahead, but remember there is no evidence that cutting edge design results in higher financial returns in Hampton Roads. Venting here is like preaching to the converted. Or peeing in your pants in a dark blue wool suit -- creates a warm feeling, but no one really notices.........

As much as I hate the design of this project, comments like this still irritate me.

Oh! That's real bright! (hide comment)

Let's just build more in the already overbuilt, over populated area and add to the already overburdened roads. Not to mention the lack of parking. Really great job! This is a prime example of why there are severe traffic and parking problems in the area. It's also a good example of why it's so important to un-elect any incumbent in office today, no matter what their party affiliation is. I hope everyone joins me the next election cycle in getting rid of all these existing politicians who are out of touch with their constituents and are in it to pad their own pockets and their own interest. It's time for them to go and it's time to set term limits on all local and state political seats.

- michael n. - suffolk

Seriously, what is this guy talking about? Forgetting that the building is atrocious, the development itself is nothing but good for Norfolk. I just don't want the thing looking like a prison. That's not too much to ask for.

Oh! That's real bright! (hide comment)

Let's just build more in the already overbuilt, over populated area and add to the already overburdened roads. Not to mention the lack of parking. Really great job! This is a prime example of why there are severe traffic and parking problems in the area. It's also a good example of why it's so important to un-elect any incumbent in office today, no matter what their party affiliation is. I hope everyone joins me the next election cycle in getting rid of all these existing politicians who are out of touch with their constituents and are in it to pad their own pockets and their own interest. It's time for them to go and it's time to set term limits on all local and state political seats.

- michael n. - suffolk

Sometimes I really wonder what drives the crushing pessimism of so may people in Hampton Roads. Is it fear of progress? I've visited rust belt cities where the average citizen had a more positive outlook...... This person complained of overtaxing the roads ,but how much you want to bet this same type person is against light rail and other alternative transportation. In todays economy... you are either Growing or Receding there is no more keeping things the same.....

There are plenty of places in Virginia to live that have little or no traffic; Pungo, Goochland, Waverly, Smithfield, Franklin, etc.. If that's what someone wants, what's stopping them from moving? If I could talk to this person, I would strongly suggest he do so.

yeah, Hampton Roads has alot of small town mentality. It wasn't until the early 80's that the region really started going. And before WWII that is all Hampton Roads really was was a collection of small towns. And with that in mind, all those small town minded people are still alive and living there and they will continue to voice their small mindedness until old age gets each one of them.

oh wow, and I posted this before reading he was from Suffolk. That area is and will be a small town for a long time to come unless they one day take on the largest international airport for the entire southeast of Virginia.......which I think they should. The state could build a highway that ran from the south end of 64 to Richmond with high speed rail apart of it and that would help take some strain off 64 through the Peninsula.

yeah, Hampton Roads has alot of small town mentality. It wasn't until the early 80's that the region really started going. And before WWII that is all Hampton Roads really was was a collection of small towns. And with that in mind, all those small town minded people are still alive and living there and they will continue to voice their small mindedness until old age gets each one of them.

oh wow, and I posted this before reading he was from Suffolk. That area is and will be a small town for a long time to come unless they one day take on the largest international airport for the entire southeast of Virginia.......which I think they should. The state could build a highway that ran from the south end of 64 to Richmond with high speed rail apart of it and that would help take some strain off 64 through the Peninsula.

Off topic, but I totally support the idea of a Hampton Roads airport in suffolk. I know it was talked about years ago, but Norfolk has very little room to grow and I think we need some more modern facilities to compete better. I also think Newport News airport should close if this happens.

Off topic, but I totally support the idea of a Hampton Roads airport in suffolk. I know it was talked about years ago, but Norfolk has very little room to grow and I think we need some more modern facilities to compete better. I also think Newport News airport should close if this happens.

Correction, Virginia Beach needs to kick out Oceana and open Hampton Roads International Aiprort on the former Oceana Naval Base.

Fort Norfolk Plaza gets ok

In an anticipated move Tuesday night, the City Council voted 7-1 to help developers build an $83 million medical office tower and extended-stay hotel downtown that could net tens of millions of dollars in tax revenue. The 14-story plaza on 2 acres in the Fort Norfolk area will have 155,000 square feet of office space, a 125-room extended-stay hotel, 19,500 square feet of retail space and a 736-space parking garage. The retail space is likely to include a jazz club.

Councilman Barclay C. Winn voted against the proposal. He could not be reached after the meeting for comment.

^^^Perhaps he didn't like the design. :lol:

We will soon see...in a glossy brochure................

"Fort Norfolk Plaza will be a world class, win-win, partner-ship like design featuring state of the art, leadership circle venues and regional state of the art facilitation aided charettes that segue into a new era for Hampton Roads. Conceived with just-in-time conceptual goals, the project will feature the zenith in correctional facades embued with aluminal fenestrations and the quintessential L'hotel Six ambience."

Kudos to Barclay

Great project, less-than-great design. It's too bad the design doesn't match the purpose it serves to the city. Maybe the way it sits on the land will help a little. No, not behind a big tree :rolleyes: but maybe the garage will get de-emphasized. Any way you look at it, it's a big project.

We will soon see...in a glossy brochure................

"Fort Norfolk Plaza will be a world class, win-win, partner-ship like design featuring state of the art, leadership circle venues and regional state of the art facilitation aided charettes that segue into a new era for Hampton Roads. Conceived with just-in-time conceptual goals, the project will feature the zenith in correctional facades embued with aluminal fenestrations and the quintessential L'hotel Six ambience."

Kudos to Barclay

That is the most brilliant, albeit upsettingly apt thing I believe I have ever read in my life. :rolleyes:

Even if they made some minor alterations, like extending the glassy facade (which I actually like) over the obese and ridiculous parking garage, it would improve immensely. Time will tell, however. Hopefully the developer will come across Urbanplanet and rethink? Wishful thinking haha.

An addendum, however. I do like the notion of a jazz club :) Very classy, very chill idea (shockingly). And you're right sky -- it is a pretty substantial project, so hopefully things will pan out well.

Aren't all these new structures in Fort Norfolk in a flood plain, you know, they're on a riverbank.

:rofl:

Maybe we should stop building everywhere it can possibly flood in HR. Yeah, that's the ticket. :rolleyes: We would have, what, 2 square miles of land to live on.

A jazz club? Where? On the 3rd level of the parking deck? I hope the jazz bassist has a good rockstop to keep the endpin of his bass from sliding down the inclined parking ramp.

Ugh, if this place opens a jazz club I'll go there to sing the blues.

Here's a blistering editorial in the pilot today.

Fort Norfolk incentives far too generous

Norfolk granted millions of dollars in real estate tax relief on Tuesday, but not to anyone who has actually paid any real estate taxes on his property.

Remarkably generous tax concessions were made to an untried developer, Fort Norfolk LLC, on a commercial project of no particular importance or stature.

Twenty years ago, City Hall used tax incentives as pump primers to lure leery investors into a dead downtown. About 10 years ago, it used them to stay in the bidding wars for companies with large payrolls or big salaries.

Here's a blistering editorial in the pilot today.

Fort Norfolk incentives far too generous

This deal really stinks. I have it, from a knowledgeable source, that Dr. Newby is just a front for Sentara. He may be the "developer", (even though he has never developed anything) but the almost exclusive tenant, for the office space, will be doctors who practice at Sentara Norfolk General. If Sentara built a medical arts building, then they would have to pay taxes on it (non-profit hospitals don't pay taxes on their patient care facilities, but do on the doctor's offices they build). They are putting Newby up as a front -- and because he is black, then they get Paul Riddick behind it in a sense of "fairness" and "equality".

"Smart" businesses, including Robert Johnson, William Fuller, Buddy Gadams, Armada Hoffler, and now Sentara, find ways to shift their costs onto government. In Norfolk, that is easier if you roll racial politics into the mix.

Archived