Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

Can someone explain to me why a hospital needs waterfront property instead of saving it for residential condos or appartments? This building belongs inland next to EVMS.

The Hospital is not developing this project. This is a private project that was bought with private money to provide office space for practicing Physicians. Nothing more.

......but why does it's latest incarnation look so institutional???? :unsure:

That's because most architect's can't think outside of the box. They feel that the building must fit into its surroundings which if you havn't looked lately is completely insitutional. Most architects don't know how to incorporate surrounding architecture and produce an asthetically pleasing building.

That's because most architect's can't think outside of the box. They feel that the building must fit into its surroundings which if you havn't looked lately is completely insitutional. Most architects don't know how to incorporate surrounding architecture and produce an asthetically pleasing building.

OK, thats understood, but how do they go from the ship concept to prison concept?

Cost is a legitimate excuse, but less expensive shouldn't mean less inspiring or less desirable!!!! :blink:

OMG. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I still can't get over this. This REALLY is one of THE ugliest buildings I have EVER seen!

The three MUSTS for this project are:

This MUST be split up into 3 different buildings. This is a massive barrier on the waterfront.

The parking MUST be better integrated into the building(s)' schema.

There MUST be something aesthetically pleasing, if not interactive, on the street level.

Even if it remains ugly, if the above three guidelines are met it will improve 1283910%!

I must agree with lammius --- one of THE WORST designs I have ever seen in this region. This .... thing... (I refuse to call it a building) is hideous and obstructive and will do nothing to aid the area and in fact will only hurt it aesthetically. Start over or hand over the land is all I've got to say on the matter! :wacko:

My scanners on the fritz, here's some digital camera pics...

S7000344.jpg

S7000347.jpg

Note it still lists at Ghent South Towers

Personally I do think the building looks better at night however I also believe that does not justify the architectural changes especially when people are more likely to see it during the day than the night. If anything, I say keep that tall glass section of the building at the rear and re-design the rest of the build to fit that portion. Taking the original and potentially iconic ship design and ruining it with this new design makes me want to wait on this building. I would rather have a 1 year delay for a better design (or revert to the original) than to meet this year's construction start deadline to only get that garbage.

Personally I do think the building looks better at night however I also believe that does not justify the architectural changes especially when people are more likely to see it during the day than the night. If anything, I say keep that tall glass section of the building at the rear and re-design the rest of the build to fit that portion. Taking the original and potentially iconic ship design and ruining it with this new design makes me want to wait on this building. I would rather have a 1 year delay for a better design (or revert to the original) than to meet this year's construction start deadline to only get that garbage.

I'm with you on that one ace!!!

I'd rather the land stay undeveloped than get that crap! <_<

It's hard to make out on the pictures, but the ad for Clark Nexus specifically mentions that the owners or developers vision is what they pride themselves on delivering. Whether or not that's true is obviously for debate, but if it is, that means the owner, after scrapping condos, outlined his plans and this is what they gave him, he approved it. I agree, awful, out of place, lacking vision, clarity or cohesion, but let's shift blame to where blame is due. Owner/developer.

Whether or not that's true is obviously for debate, but if it is, that means the owner, after scrapping condos, outlined his plans and this is what they gave him, he approved it. I agree, awful, out of place, lacking vision, clarity or cohesion, but let's shift blame to where blame is due. Owner/developer.

The owners vision was of a building shaped like a ship. He was determined to make that design work even if it no longer made sense after the elimination of the condos. I think he should've just dropped the ship idea after the condos fell through. I think Clark Nexsen was just following orders on this one.

As an architecture student myself....I sadly agree. Especially in the Hampton Roads area. The number of actual good architects there is incredibly low and the amount of quality that is put out is sad in comparison to other cities. This is the reason why I always feel the area should hold international design competitions in order to bring better architecture to the region. The more they rely on the pool within the cities there, the more the handicap themselves with good architecture.

Buildings like the Granby tower should not be few and far between there.

Ok likely for medical tower

The City Council is expected to approve a deal tonight to build an $83 million medical office tower and Hyatt extended-stay hotel across Brambleton Avenue from Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. Fort Norfolk Plaza, as the project would be known, is to include 155,000 square feet of Class A office space, a 125-room hotel, 19,000 square feet of retail space and a 763-space parking garage.

The garage in that rendering actually looks larger than 763 spaces to me. I must admit to being surprised by the modest amount of spaces for this complex (compared to others downtown that have been ranging from the 1000-2000 space range). It'll be interesting to see if there have been further revisions to the rendering.

I don't think this guy is black, where is the bling bling?

Based on Councilman Riddick's comment, it sounds like it to me (or at least a minority).

Anyway, I hope this turns out well. The article says Norfolk needs to acquire 2 acres of land. should we presume that's the entire amount needed for the site? Also, does anyone know how many acres Fort Norfolk consists of? I.e., how much of the area will this consume?

Archived