Baseball in Charlotte, which will happen?

monsoon

BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. BaseBall in Charlotte, which will happen?

• Major League Baseball in 2nd Ward
    • Minor League Baseball in 3rd Ward
    • Neither

This will be a privately funded stadium. =

Except of course they are looking for the government to give them the very expensive land paid for by the taxpayers. Land that was intended for Charlotte's version of a Central Park that everyone here once praised as a necessary and good thing for downtown. This is very costly to the residents of the city in more ways than just money. Well..... maybe the will do better than the Bobcats are doing in their downtown arena since they don't seem to be able to attract that many people.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Swapping a park used only by geese and homeless for a park that brings AAA professional back into the city included in its name, that thousands of families will go to throughout the summer generating millions in revenues for restaurants, parking companies, transit, bars, etc., that make up the tax base.

I'm sure glad the city is wise enough to do this. And we still get the Third Ward Park to boot.

I'm so pleased with their performance and management of my tax money, I'm more than happy to give them an extra 4 pennies per hundred bucks. :)

Well..... maybe the will do better than the Bobcats are doing in their downtown arena since they don't seem to be able to attract that many people.

Attendance is over 1.5 million at the arena since it opened in October. How many people would be considered a lot?

My answer to the poll is neither, I hope. If we are patient enough to let this city develop naturally we'll realize that two major arenas inside the 277 loop are enough. This city doesn't have to be built overnight! No real diverse city is made up of one pro sports arena after another. The baseball stadium belongs outside the 277.

• 5 weeks later...

I was in Spectrum Properties offices last week and saw renderings up on the walls for at least one highrise adjacent to 230 South Tryon. I think it was around 45 stories. Was told confidentially that the land swap with them and the city/county to create the new park and the minor league stadium is all but done and almost ready to announce.

Again, I still think that 3rd Ward is no place for a minor (or major) league stadium, but I'm willing to accept it as a mid-term place holder for valuable land....certainly better than a surface lot, if the end result is the acceleration of development by Spectrum and Novare.

I assume that ~45 story tower is going at the 300 S. Tryon site....it should be about half office (yay!!!) and half-residential.

Again, I still think that 3rd Ward is no place for a minor (or major) league stadium, but I'm willing to accept it as a mid-term place holder for valuable land....certainly better than a surface lot, if the end result is the acceleration of development by Spectrum and Novare.

I assume that ~45 story tower is going at the 300 S. Tryon site....it should be about half office (yay!!!) and half-residential.

I know, and it looked GOOD to me. Wish i could have gotten a pic of it :)

My nephew works for a major league sports marketing firm in Boston and worked in the BOSOX main office for a few years. Here's his take on the Charlotte sports market and baseball...

Good stuff and good points. Funny that Hartford is right in the middle of those first 2 NC cities. I must admit, you put some compelling numbers out there...especially versus like Oklahoma City, San Antonio and Vegas. Honestly, its probably just a matter of time...and my guess is that you will see the Florida Marlins relocate to NC. They are on the verge of relocation because they have continuous trouble getting a baseball stadium; they play in the Dolphins

My nephew works for a major league sports marketing firm in Boston and worked in the BOSOX main office for a few years. Here's his take on the Charlotte sports market and baseball...

"So I say the Florida Marlins become the Charlotte Racers in 2010. Racers being the name to play on the NASCAR population of y

Well I did hear that Miami was planning a stadium for the Marlins. So I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Well I did hear that Miami was planning a stadium for the Marlins. So I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Yep, the Marlins are in the process of the early stage of a new baseball stadium.

Charlotte, realistically, is 20 + years from beign capable of hosting a MLB frachise. I just don't think there is large enough populuation to justify 30k+ for 82 games a year.

That and there has only been 1 MLB team relocation in the past 35 years (the Expos to Washington) and only two expansion teams in the past 28 (the Marlins and the Rockies). My point being that MLB franchises tend to be the most stable in sport and they are not in a growth mode right now.

Yep, the Marlins are in the process of the early stage of a new baseball stadium.

Charlotte, realistically, is 20 + years from beign capable of hosting a MLB frachise. I just don't think there is large enough populuation to justify 30k+ for 82 games a year.

That and there has only been 1 MLB team relocation in the past 35 years (the Expos to Washington) and only two expansion teams in the past 28 (the Marlins and the Rockies). My point being that MLB franchises tend to be the most stable in sport and they are not in a growth mode right now.

The Miami stadium is far from a done deal, and the chances of it not happening are pretty good. That said, I would agree that Charlotte is not ready for MLB (it's been said ad nauseum), but I think 20+ years away is a bit pessimistic. With this regions growth, I think 8-10 is a more realistic timefram.

Although there will be no expansion, now that the Expos have moved to DC, I expect that the seal has been broken and I look for a slew of teams to jump cities in the next decade. It's the only possible way small market teams have a chance to make money, when competing against the large market teams in New York, Chicago, Houston. I would expect Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Florida and possibly Milwaukee (if the Selig family ever sells the team) to all be on the move soon.

By the way, I agree with that sports marketing guy, the name Bobcats has got to go. Maybe when Bob Johnson finally sells the teams the new ownership group will realize this. Bobcats is a name that will never gain brand equity around here...it just sounds very minor leaguish. Racers is a name I really like!

Also I saw a recent poll done on one of the sports websites, and the Bobcats logo was easily voted the worst in the entire NBA! And I think their uniforms were also right near the bottom of the league.

The Miami stadium is far from a done deal, and the chances of it not happening are pretty good. That said, I would agree that Charlotte is not ready for MLB (it's been said ad nauseum), but I think 20+ years away is a bit pessimistic. With this regions growth, I think 8-10 is a more realistic timefram.

Although there will be no expansion, now that the Expos have moved to DC, I expect that the seal has been broken and I look for a slew of teams to jump cities in the next decade. It's the only possible way small market teams have a chance to make money, when competing against the large market teams in New York, Chicago, Houston. I would expect Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Florida and possibly Milwaukee (if the Selig family ever sells the team) to all be on the move soon.

The Marlins are not moving, no matter how badly Jeffrey Loria messes up the Hialeah deal. MLB wants a flagship team for the Caribean basin.

Pittsburgh will not move, not with a new stadium that they are tied to for the next 30 years.

Kansas City will not move, since they just passed a sales tax increase to renovate Kaufman Stadium in KC.

Tampa Bay? Eh, maybe, but new local ownership is making large efforts to grow the team's market in West Florida.

Milwaukee will not move, because like Pittsburgh, they are tied to their new stadium Miller Park. As controversial as that stadium deal was, they will not pull up stakes.

Baseball has no expansion plans, it's trying to shore up its business. There are no serious rumors of any team moving, anywhere.

Racers is too close to Pacers for me.

The Marlins are not moving, no matter how badly Jeffrey Loria messes up the Hialeah deal. MLB wants a flagship team for the Caribean basin.

The NFL wanted a flagship team in LA, but somehow managed to lose both and its now 11 years later and the void still hasn't been filled and I still don't think the people in LA have noticed. And judging by the Marlins attendance history, I don't think the folks in Miami will either. :) Also, I have a lot less confidence in MLB management than their NFL counterparts in getting things done. But we shall see!

By the way, I agree with that sports marketing guy, the name Bobcats has got to go. Maybe when Bob Johnson finally sells the teams the new ownership group will realize this. Bobcats is a name that will never gain brand equity around here...it just sounds very minor leaguish. Racers is a name I really like!

Also I saw a recent poll done on one of the sports websites, and the Bobcats logo was easily voted the worst in the entire NBA! And I think their uniforms were also right near the bottom of the league.

Racers and Pistons :lol: kind of ironic, don't you think?

^The only professional team I remember called the Racers was the Indianapolis Racers of the old WHA. In fact, I believe it was Wayne Gretzky's first pro team (1978-79 season) before the league merged with the NHL the following season and the Racers were disbanded. So for a few years in Indy, there were the Pacers and Racers! Almost as good as Mets, Jets and Nets :)

That and there has only been 1 MLB team relocation in the past 35 years (the Expos to Washington) and only two expansion teams in the past 28 (the Marlins and the Rockies).

While I agree with you, that Charlotte does not appear close to receiving a major league baseball team anytime soon, there have actually been two other teams added since the expansion you mentioned. It was not until 1998 that Tampa and Arizona got teams. So four in 28 years, still not a blistering pace.

Funny, I always thought that about the Hornets. It seemed to "Knights" of a name to me. More like a WNBA name. I was surprised though that the Sting did not change their name to a cooresponding name to Bobcats. Like maybe the Kittens or the Suecats. I know Hornets came from the history books, then why not look back to the days of moonshiners and prohibition and call them the Charlotte Boozers.

Archived