Arkansas, the New Gulf State

Mith242

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring out you swimsuit and the beach ball, Arkansas is apparently a Gulf state now. :lol: Looks like they decided to divide the Southern US forum and we ended up in the Gulf States forum.

I don't see us being a "gulf" state. We can't go to the East Coast Subforum because we don't fit there as well. We're like the kid that doesn't fit in.

I don't see us being a "gulf" state. We can't go to the East Coast Subforum because we don't fit there as well. We're like the kid that doesn't fit in.

I think we would fit a Mid South forum well. But I think the problem is that they're also trying to split up some of the bigger state forums like Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina. So it looks like Florida is going to be in the same group we are. Too bad, I liked the idea of a Mid South, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Tennessee and Kentucky if they wanted.

Bring out you swimsuit and the beach ball, Arkansas is apparently a Gulf state now. :lol: Looks like they decided to divide the Southern US forum and we ended up in the Gulf States forum.

I like the new groupings. I hadn't thought about dividing the states in this way, but it works very well. Here's the map I posted in "The South" subforum."

a1f1_s.jpg

As you can see, much of Arkansas is in the Gulf Coastal Plain.

The other forum is the "USA Atlantic States," which ought to include the word "Southern" to be more clear. If/when Mississippi gets its own subforum, that will make four of our six border states part of the "USA Gulf States" forum. Tennessee, is grouped in the other forum. This is probably for balance, because Tennessee would fit into either one.

I think we would fit a Mid South forum well. But I think the problem is that they're also trying to split up some of the bigger state forums like Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina. So it looks like Florida is going to be in the same group we are. Too bad, I liked the idea of a Mid South, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Tennessee and Kentucky if they wanted.

I like your Mid South grouping, Kansas and Missouri could probably fit in as well but you might have to drop "south" from the title. Just a thought.

I like your Mid South grouping, Kansas and Missouri could probably fit in as well but you might have to drop "south" from the title. Just a thought.

As you said, adding those states means that it wouldn't be a Mid-South forum anymore. What would the point be? The reason the Southern forum is being split up is because it's become so large. Adding more states would make the forum even more cumbersome, and adding non-Southern states would defeat the point of grouping states regionally. That makes about as much sense as adding Maryland and Pennsylvania to the Atlantic forum.

"Gulf States" is pretty contrived. Do we include Kuwait, Bahrain, and Qatar with Lousiana, Mississippi, and Alabama?

I like Mid-South as well, that's a term that's actually commonly used. Missouri and Kansas are Midwestern, no way around that.

Yes, the mid south. Ark, LA, Ms.

Al, GA Fl, SC are the southeast.

Texas gets its own area since it has more population than about four or five southern states combined. Not to mention the land area.

NC, VA, MD, WV, are mid atlantic.

then you have new england, the southwest, the midwest, the mountain west, california by itself, the pacific northwest, and big sky region.

that about covers it. somebody let me be in charge.

Personally I think there could a better division of the states. But I also think some of this depends on how big the forums of these states are too. Texas just isn't active enough yet to have it's own by itself. But anyway I get the impression the way it's set up now might be the final version for now. I can't say I like Arkansas or Oklahoma considered a 'Gulf' state. But I guess there's problems in the 'Atlantic' group with Tennessee and Kentucky also. Aside from renaming it something like Mid South & Florida possibly, I don't know what else could be done.

Metro Memphis is now in 3 separate forums--West Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

Yes, the mid south. Ark, LA, Ms.

Yet, Memphis always considered itself the unofficial center of the mid-south.

Memphis doesn't fit in very well in any particular region. For awhile there, Tennessee was listed as an Atlantic state, so I guess Memphis is where the Atlantic met the Gulf.

Gah. I prefer midsouth too. Oklahoma and Arkansas don't belong in "lower south" IMO.

From an Arkansas perspective I think that would be best for us. But I don't think that works out with the way they were wanting to split the south and get at least one of the bigger forums into a different 'southern' forum. But I like it a lot better than being a 'gulf' state.

• 1 month later...

Yeah ,I agree...Arkansas is not "Gulf-South", yet the football small-colleges of Arkansas(Henderson St, Central Arkansas,Akansas-Monticello,Southern Arkansas,Ouachita Baptist) all play in the Gulf South Conference. That's just crazy !

I always wondered what region Oklahoma was.

What's funny is that they have Arkansas classified as lower south...we are the upper border of the south, since Missouri is midwest. They have Tennessee as upper south, but Kentucky is above them. Arkansas should be upper south. Places like Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, etc...now, that's lower south. I sure as hell can't figure out how they figure Oklahoma to be lower south. As already stated, there really should be another classification "Mid South" or "South Central" that would have Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and maybe Louisiana.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived