Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

I was getting frustrated with the ads on UrbanPlanet so decided to become a paying member, is $20 for a year and gets rid of ads, plus, has other benefits for deleting, etc. On a similar note, when digging back for past Richmond Bizsense articles, they no longer allow me to access them, I can see the daily post, but anything from their history is blocked and will need to pay, not sure what I’ll do here. Are others experiencing that too?

Edited by Hike
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

BizSense announced they are charging to read articles older than 30 days. I think it’s around $100/yr

Ok, don’t think I’ll do that, seems like that’s more for business vs what I consider my use habit as a casual observer. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hike said:

I was getting frustrated with the ads on UrbanPlanet so decided to become a paying member, is $20 for a year and gets rid of ads, plus, has other benefits for deleting, etc. On a similar note, when digging back for past Richmond Bizsense articles, they no longer allow me to access them, I can see the daily post, but anything from their history is blocked and will need to pay, not sure what I’ll do here. Are others experiencing that too?

I'm considering doing the same.  The ads on UP are driving me crazy and gotten worse lately - it takes longer to navigate the ads than it does reading the posts sometimes!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I'm considering doing the same.  The ads on UP are driving me crazy and gotten worse lately - it takes longer to navigate the ads than it does reading the posts sometimes!

Yeah, It’s like old times now, no pop up ads and just right to the content, best $20 I’ve spent in awhile

• Like 3

Are y'all using a laptop/desktop or a phone? I'm using a phone and when an ad do pop up I just hit the X and it's gone.

Thanks for explaining what's going on with Bizsense. I was wondering why I couldn't read any of the old links to remind myself of projects under certain articles.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, plain said:

Are y'all using a laptop/desktop or a phone? I'm using a phone and when an ad do pop up I just hit the X and it's gone.

Thanks for explaining what's going on with Bizsense. I was wondering why I couldn't read any of the old links to remind myself of projects under certain articles.

Use both. Agree, UP is not like the RTD where even though I have a subscription, the ads are endless and annoying. For UP,  not having to click the x and getting rid of all ads was worth it and like the other features too.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 3

The ads here on UP are a tad annoying, but on my desktop I simply click "X" and "Poof!! Be Gone!!!" :tw_smiley:

Rather than spending the $20 here, I am considering dropping a Benjamin for the RBS subscription even though that's a tad rich for my blood as a non-business user and the fact that I have no business purpose for accessing the RBS "archives" (I use that term loosely because 30 days is absurdly 'new' for something to be considered archived, IMNSHO...) But I want to have access to previous articles in order to keep track of developments and to have that information available if I'm researching something. Case in point: the other day, when I was putting together the map and list of major residential projects set to rise in Westwood, I had to go to a bunch of different sites to get even basic information like WHERE the buildings were boing to be built simply because I couldn't access RBS. It took me at least an hour to do research that should have taken no more than five minutes.

THAT alone has me seriously thinking about plunking down a C-note to subscribe to RBS. It sucks, but as Tony Soprano would say, "whaddyagonnado?"

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

THAT alone has me seriously thinking about plunking down a C-note to subscribe to RBS. It sucks, but as Tony Soprano would say, "whaddyagonnado?"

Sad to see Tony Sirico passed yesterday, was Paulie on the Sapranos.

4FF68D12-9FBE-4167-8E6B-C1A9EB693E45.jpeg

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Child2021 said:

On a side note, does anyone here contribute on the behalf of Richmond on City-Data? I was thinking about joining, sinve there's a couple of posters making quick wrong judgements about our city.

I’m on city-data. It’s my favorite of these types of sites.  I know people are snarky and rude but it’s not as insular as these more specific sites like urbanplanet.  Urbanplanet really gets into the weeds which is cool but not very inviting for people outside of our area who often offer interesting perspectives.  I feel like many more people that aren’t in Richmond are reading about Richmond and contributing to Richmond topics on city-data. 

Comparing cities (the good, the bad) seems easier on that site too just because of the way it’s structured. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

I did the 15 dollars a month on richmondbizsense. I couldn’t handle not being able to read certain things. It was well worth it.,

Sweet - I'll probably do the same. Even though not for business or professional purposes, I do have want/need for past articles - so it does seem like a worthwhile investment. That said, I'll go ahead and take the Nestea Plunge on this as well.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 10:36 PM, I miss RVA said:

Sweet - I'll probably do the same. Even though not for business or professional purposes, I do have want/need for past articles - so it does seem like a worthwhile investment. That said, I'll go ahead and take the Nestea Plunge on this as well.

Thank you for supporting local and worthy businesses like RBS.

I can't justify $15 to myself as I'm not that involved yet. But, because of this, I will now set up automatic monthly donation of $15 for Richmond Animal Care and Control. Thanks for the inspiration.. I can justify that at least :)

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 3

Raining up here in Big Meadows pretty hard at times, camper’s doing great, actually love hearing the rain on the roof, Hope RVA is getting some needed rain, at least at my place we need it.  There’s been an infestation of Gypsy moths, now being called spongy moths, that have eaten all the oak leaves off and can kill the oaks, there are moths everywhere and they look like this, plus a nice view of the ridges along the trail near hawksbill.

DEFA3410-791B-43DB-8057-300670DB8254.jpeg

80B9AA08-0B7B-49D8-80BD-57BF72CD014B.jpeg

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hike said:

Raining up here in Big Meadows pretty hard at times, camper’s doing great, actually love hearing the rain on the roof, Hope RVA is getting some needed rain, at least at my place we need it.  There’s been an infestation of Gypsy moths, now being called spongy moths, that have eaten all the oak leaves off and can kill the oaks, there moths everywhere and they look like this, plus a nice view of the ridges along the trail near hawksbill.

DEFA3410-791B-43DB-8057-300670DB8254.jpeg

80B9AA08-0B7B-49D8-80BD-57BF72CD014B.jpeg

Gorgeous vista! Beautiful country up there. Man, there's nothing in this world like being in the mountains. :tw_smile:

Moths: UGH!! :tw_flushed: I'm guessing that the state department of forestry and the U.S. Forest Preserve have their hands full trying to tackle the problem.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Gorgeous vista! Beautiful country up there. Man, there's nothing in this world like being in the mountains. :tw_smile:

Moths: UGH!! :tw_flushed: I'm guessing that the state department of forestry and the U.S. Forest Preserve have their hands full trying to tackle the problem.

I’m not sure there’s anything they can do, it’s literally every oak as far as I can see, they’d have to drop some chemical like putting out forest fires. It’s the caterpillar that does the damage and it then goes thru the stages to a moth but imagine millions of them. The other thing they are doing right now is trying to save the ash trees, they are actually putting a resistant “chemical” around them to stop the emerald ash borers from killing them, they burrow under the bark and it kills the trees. The chemical lasts 5 years and is super expensive, they are doing that now in loft campground but many will die as they can’t get to them all. This is what that looks like.

14DBFD65-096E-408F-8F8D-E14114D43DAE.jpeg

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hike said:

I’m not sure there’s anything they can do, it’s literally every oak as far as I can see, they’d have to drop some chemical like putting out forest fires. It’s the caterpillar that does the damage and it then goes thru the stages to a moth but imagine millions of them. The other thing they are doing right now is trying to save the ash trees, they are actually putting a resistant “chemical” around them to stop the emerald ash borers from killing them, they burrow under the bark and it kills the trees. The chemical lasts 5 years and is super expensive, they are doing that now in loft campground but many will die as they can’t get to them all. This is what that looks like.

14DBFD65-096E-408F-8F8D-E14114D43DAE.jpeg

Wow - what a shame. Ash trees are gorgous, too. The house in the Granite neighborhood where I grew up (just west of Westover Hills) had a pair of beautiful ash trees just off the west side of the house that provided a lot of wonderful shade in the summer. That is until one of them got hit by lighting - which caused one of them to split - and then the other tree either was infested with one of the insects (perhaps the borer?) or something happened - but in a severe storm part of the tree split off and fell on the roof of our house. Both trees ended up being cut down and hauled away, which was such a shame. 

• Like 1

Wish Richmond would have landed this.  Was hoping it would, but Spotsylvania County got it.  This will be huge for that area up there, but what a missed opportunity for the Richmond area.  Would have brought in a lot of tourism...something the area needs more of:

https://fredericksburg.com/news/local/spotsylvania-supervisors-approve-rezoning-for-kalahari-resort/article_edf5210c-136b-503f-946c-c1aac67c0120.html

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Wish Richmond would have landed this.  Was hoping it would, but Spotsylvania County got it.  This will be huge for that area up there, but what a missed opportunity for the Richmond area.  Would have brought in a lot of tourism...something the area needs more of:

https://fredericksburg.com/news/local/spotsylvania-supervisors-approve-rezoning-for-kalahari-resort/article_edf5210c-136b-503f-946c-c1aac67c0120.html

I thought there was a water park in Chesterfield that seemed to have some movement not that long ago. I can add either one of these to my list of things I’ll never go to. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hike said:

1.) I thought there was a water park in Chesterfield that seemed to have some movement not that long ago.

2.) I can add either one of these to my list of things I’ll never go to. 

1.) There was. I'm not sure whatever happened to/with it once the pandemic hit.

2.) AMEN! Me too, brother! :tw_wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hike said:

I thought there was a water park in Chesterfield that seemed to have some movement not that long ago. I can add either one of these to my list of things I’ll never go to. 

Yeah, I think that was Uppy (the convenience store/gas station guy) who also owns the bowling ally there at 360/288 in Chesterfield.  He once proposed an indoor water park right there near his bowling ally, but he was full of hot air and never materialized...like most things he proposes. :rolleyes: