Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

Wells Fargo has been lit up in yellow and blue for the last few months.  Not sure why it was off when you drove through. 

Dominion has been disappointing.  Their lights aren’t very bright.  The Pride and 4th lighting schemes are good but  they completely ignore fun holidays like Halloween and Valentine’s Day.  

Yeah, I had seen Wells Fargo lit up before and really liked their multi-color LEDs at its crown (really cool effects), but nothing last night.  You'd think with it being Memorial Day weekend there'd be something...even just red, white, and blue.  DE, with its prominence in the skyline should color their tower for every holiday (why not, right?  They've got the fancy color capability).  Plus, they need to turn their lighting up...you just can't see it from I-95!  Other towers in the skyline should add spotlights (at the very least) to their crowns - the TowneBank tower for sure.  I don't know...was just disappointing to see.

• Like 2

Hey folks - Happy Memorial Day to one and all! :tw_smile:

So when I think of the Wells Fargo building - I think of James Center and that led me to stumble into this photo. I believe we've discussed it elsewhere on here, but it bears revisiting: who owns this parcel just north of the expressway and south of Canal Street? The original James Center plans from the early '80s called for highrise condominium towers to rise on the two parcels east and west of S. 10th Street - one where the William Mullen building is and one where this surface lot is. I'm curious as to the prospects that we might ever see something vertical built in this space, particularly if parking is integrated? It's a nice size parcel - perfect for development. Would be wonderful to see something mixed use go up there. Doesn't have to be "epic" -- just something vertical that might bring some residential or office or hotel or something to that plot of open space downtown - and preferably not a "pedestal" tower. Fill that whole plot up with structures.

Complex-EDITED-1-1350x630.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Hey folks - Happy Memorial Day to one and all! :tw_smile:

So when I think of the Wells Fargo building - I think of James Center and that led me to stumble into this photo. I believe we've discussed it elsewhere on here, but it bears revisiting: who owns this parcel just north of the expressway and south of Canal Street? The original James Center plans from the early '80s called for highrise condominium towers to rise on the two parcels east and west of S. 10th Street - one where the William Mullen building is and one where this surface lot is. I'm curious as to the prospects that we might ever see something vertical built in this space, particularly if parking is integrated? It's a nice size parcel - perfect for development. Would be wonderful to see something mixed use go up there. Doesn't have to be "epic" -- just something vertical that might bring some residential or office or hotel or something to that plot of open space downtown - and preferably not a "pedestal" tower. Fill that whole plot up with structures.

Complex-EDITED-1-1350x630.jpg

Oh, you mean the pentagon lot (lowercase "p" due to its shape)!  I've also had my eye on that lot for years because it is pretty narrow and there's not a lot of room for some spread-out base for a tower.  I think it is prime real estate and should go to a good mixed use tower (as you suggested).  Not sure if it's even on the market, but if Richmond ever really booms due to the influx of several relocated HQs, I can only imagine that this lot would be on the top of the list for consideration for a new tower.  

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

You know we’re getting spoiled when an announcement this morning* of a new 7 floor building in Scott’s Addition doesn’t even get mentioned lol. 

*or maybe we already knew about it and I forgot, which also means I’m spoiled:) 

I'll tell ya when we'll know we're REALLY getting spoiled - the day that a 12-story building in Scott's (or Manchester) is announced and it doesn't even get mentioned. :tw_wink:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

You know we’re getting spoiled when an announcement this morning* of a new 7 floor building in Scott’s Addition doesn’t even get mentioned lol. 

*or maybe we already knew about it and I forgot, which also means I’m spoiled:) 

Been on the books, though I had it marked at 6 floors.

• Like 2

Two questions:

1) Has anyone else noticed new annoying ads on here recently (in the past few days).  So very annoying!  Wish there was a way to get rid of them. 

2) Just a curious question that I’ve always wondered about our group. For some reason, I’ve always thought of this group as a group of guys…do we have any ladies among us?  Perhaps this hobby of ours is just a “guy thing,” but I’d like to think there were some ladies that like this stuff too. I’ve just never asked.

Yep, it’s been a slow economic development news day. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Two questions:

1) Has anyone else noticed new annoying ads on here recently (in the past few days).  So very annoying!  Wish there was a way to get rid of them. 

2) Just a curious question that I’ve always wondered about our group. For some reason, I’ve always thought of this group as a group of guys…do we have any ladies among us?  Perhaps this hobby of ours is just a “guy thing,” but I’d like to think there were some ladies that like this stuff too. I’ve just never asked.

One man guy is me...

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Two questions:

1.) Ads - YESSSS!!! ARGHHH!! VERY annoying!

2.) I've always figured our group is just guys, too. 

3.) Yeah - it's been slow of late - time of year, plus I'm sure economic factors may be slowing things down - PLUS - we're waiting for a BUNCH of projects that have been in the pipeline to get underway. That's my biggest concern - there seems to be a backlog and a slow ramp-up to projects that we've known about for quite a while. @whw53showed us that The Admiral is essentially "stuck" in the pipeline at the city permit office. The River's Edge II site in Manchester changed hands a month or so ago. I think part of the lull is natural (again, time of year) - but it's some of the other factors that are worrying me a bit. We've had SO many projects announced during 2020-2021 and even early this year - and so far VERY few have broken ground. Given what all is happening with construction costs, I'm feeling a tad shaky about things right now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

I'm back again for another update, I have recently fumbled across something rather an indication for the CoStar project. 

I think this could be good indication that the project is largely still going to happen, but we will see!

Yep! I'd say that's a very good indication that things are getting ready to pop on the CoStar site. Good catch, my friend!

We need to keep on the lookout now for fencing and -- particularly -- porta potties! :tw_thumbsup:

We should have our own RVA UP adage - "When porta potties appear, can a boom crane be far behind?" 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

I'm so ready to see construction start on this!  I'm going to watch as much as I can on this webcam!  It's the perfect vantage point.  Sometimes they change the view, but most of the time the camera is pointing toward the new CoStar tower:

https://www.wric.com/weather/live-snow-sleet-freezing-rain-in-downtown-richmond/

Go figure...it's actually showing the view from Rocketts Landing right now.

Edited by eandslee
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I'm so ready to see construction start on this!  I'm going to watch as much as I can on this webcam!  It's the perfect vantage point.  Sometimes they change the view, but most of the time the camera is pointing toward the new CoStar tower:

https://www.wric.com/weather/live-snow-sleet-freezing-rain-in-downtown-richmond/

Go figure...it's actually showing the view from Rocketts Landing right now.

Oh wow! GORGEOUS view! I can't help but wonder how the skyline would have looked different with the no-longer 20-story Block D building rising just to the west of the new VCU Health Outpatient Hospital at the far right of the skyline. (Boy, that hospital building sure cuts a really fine figure, doesn't it?) 

Now I'm going to get addicted to looking at live shots of downtown RVA ...

Screenshot (1811).png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Now I'm going to get addicted to looking at live shots of downtown RVA ...

Wait until they show the view of the downtown financial district.  Love that shot even more and will be perfect for watching the CoStar tower be constructed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

This is interesting (via twitter):

SOON:

set to unveil new branding for Richmond. The new motto is called, “Richmond Real.” The hope is to entice more people to move to the city and visit with tourism dollars too.

FUv7qtjWAAQQp0x?format=jpg&name=small

Here's a news article on it - it's now official:

https://www.nbc12.com/2022/06/08/richmonds-mayor-unveils-new-richmond-real-motto-attract-tourists-new-residents/

And it has a dedicated website with a video.  Check it out here:

https://www.richmondreal.com/

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Here's a news article on it - it's now official:

https://www.nbc12.com/2022/06/08/richmonds-mayor-unveils-new-richmond-real-motto-attract-tourists-new-residents/

And it has a dedicated website with a video.  Check it out here:

https://www.richmondreal.com/

I really like it! Just watched both the news story and the video. Not bad at all. :tw_thumbsup: It's got a cool vibe that I have to admit really got ahold of me & left me feeling good about RVA.  And he pooh-poohed the whole "charming" and "quaint" garbage, too!   "...this isn't your grandfather's or your grandmother's Richmond!" :tw_thumbsup:  YESSSS!!!!

When the Mayor said - "... and you still say - 'I'm sorry... I'm from Richmond' ..." - that made me smile. Cuz that's me, folks - right here in the Windy City - (and he mentioned Chicago!) - Because no matter how you slice it, I'm from Richmond. And I always will be. 

SO COOL - the building that used to house my high school was in the video, too! :tw_smiley: Right at the beginning.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I really like it! Just watched both the news story and the video. Not bad at all. :tw_thumbsup: It's got a cool vibe that I have to admit really got ahold of me & left me feeling good about RVA.  And he pooh-poohed the whole "charming" and "quaint" garbage, too!   "...this isn't your grandfather's or your grandmother's Richmond!" :tw_thumbsup:  YESSSS!!!!

When the Mayor said - "... and you still say - 'I'm sorry... I'm from Richmond' ..." - that made me smile. Cuz that's me, folks - right here in the Windy City - (and he mentioned Chicago!) - Because no matter how you slice it, I'm from Richmond. And I always will be. 

SO COOL - the building that used to house my high school was in the video, too! :tw_smiley: Right at the beginning.

Richmond wanted to first acknowledge its biggest cheerleader.   :)

Edited by Shakman
  • Haha 2