Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

• 2 weeks later...

City Council finalizes Stoney's $2.7B FY23 city budget. Among items of interest it includes funds to purchase new software for the city's inspections and permitting office. Which is great. How about ALSO hiring a few more competent warm bodies to actually WORK said new software and help ease the backlog of projects that are gummed up in the pipeline?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/05/12/richmond-city-council-adopts-2-7b-budget-for-fiscal-year-2023/

• Like 4

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

For @I miss RVA:  I was in Chicago this morning and thought of you!  Beautiful on approach to O'Hare (Richmond in 200 years...ha ha):

Chicago 14 May 2022

Chicago 14 May 2022

HEYYY!!!  @eandslee  If I'da known you were comin' I'da baked a cake! (to coin a phrase from a famous song from MY youth - which is saying something...)

What'cha in town for?

Say - next time you're gonna head up this way, lemme know so maybe we could make plans to connect to break some bread and enjoy a few adult beverages together!

Either way - Welcome to the Windy City!

Oh - and to your point about the skyline - yeah, that'll be RVA's skyline in MINIMALLY 200-plus years from now - in a parallel universe (not ours) - or more likely in the PC game "Cities: Skylines" ... 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

@I miss RVAI was only there for a couple hours making a connection back to DC (I was on business in Hawaii), but if I was going to be there for any greater amount of time I would have reached out to hang out for a bit. I just thought that the city was beautiful this morning as I was waking up on a red-eye flight.  The approach was perfect and so were the views.  Such a striking skyline!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

@I miss RVAI was only there for a couple hours making a connection back to DC (I was on business in Hawaii), but if I was going to be there for any greater amount of time I would have reached out to hang out for a bit. I just thought that the city was beautiful this morning as I was waking up on a red-eye flight.  The approach was perfect and so were the views.  Such a striking skyline!

What's really cool - that flight path is one of several that either goes directly over - or comes really close - to our community. Of course, the planes on final approach from east-to-west (coming in from over the lake and then heading to O'Hare) are SO numerous that despite the fact that there's at least one (and depending on the time of day, two, three, even four or five at a time lined up, in staggered, parallel or linear formations - just depends) coming over every couple of minutes, we generally don't even hear them (you get used to the sound) unless one happens to be flying REALLLLLLLLLLY low. But either way - your plane was on an approach pattern that brought it in right over -- or close to -- Da Hood.

I should'a been outside waving! :tw_wink:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I've never been more triggered in my life!

rva doom.webp

I hate saying this and as sad and true as it maybe be this sums up rva perfectly. May as well have on with him slicing a tower to show how we always get the shaft with towers getting scaled down from 12 to 6 floors.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

I hate saying this and as sad and true as it maybe be this sums up rva perfectly. May as well have on with him slicing a tower to show how we always get the shaft with towers getting scaled down from 12 to 6 floors.

I love how everyone's perspective is different when it comes to art. One perspective is that the development is "killing RVA" while other perspective like yours is summed up as "This is the grim reaper cutting our development in half unfortunately!"

Thoroughly enjoying seeing the different perspectives :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, asies said:

Cool video of drone footage of various U.S. city skylines (Richmond is at the 8:48 marker). When you look at Richmond compared to other skylines you see that while we might not have the crazy height we do have a nice building density compared to a lot of other cities. U.S. CITY SKYLINES - DRONE FLYOVER COMPILATION - YouTube

I love well-made drone videos of the cityscape. Definitely an area where technology has made it possible to do some amazing things.

That video was pleasant.   It was nice to see the variety of skylines.  Even Jackson MS got some attention (and it looked good!).   Seattle was my favorite.  If there was ever a skyline that Richmond should try to emulate, it is Seattle IMO.  The individual buildings aren’t flashy but combined they make a sexy mass! 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

1.) Even Jackson MS got some attention (and it looked good!).   

2.) If there was ever a skyline that Richmond should try to emulate, it is Seattle IMO.  The individual buildings aren’t flashy but combined they make a sexy mass! 

1.) My ex-MIL lives in Jackson. :tw_blush: I worry about her what with Covid still lurking (she's in her late 70s & has had plenty of smoking-related health issues) and the constant risk of tornadoes in "Dixie Alley". :tw_confused:

2.) AMEN, AMEN!! I 100% agree. RVA would do VERY well to assemble a skyline akin to the Emerald City's. :tw_thumbsup: Far and away, one of the most beautiful skylines in the country, IMNSHO.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 11:53 AM, asies said:

Cool video of drone footage of various U.S. city skylines (Richmond is at the 8:48 marker). When you look at Richmond compared to other skylines you see that while we might not have the crazy height we do have a nice building density compared to a lot of other cities. U.S. CITY SKYLINES - DRONE FLYOVER COMPILATION - YouTube

Fort Worth, Tulsa, and Phoenix looking like Monroe Ward :tw_joy:

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Fort Worth, Tulsa, and Phoenix looking like Monroe Ward :tw_joy:

In terms of excessive surface lots, Richmond definitely fairs better than a lot of other cities, lol.  But one surface lot is one too many in my opinion, lol

• Like 3

Looks like it wqs a nice turnout! 

Personally - I love the two pictures with the colorful canoes - the first one, with the rocks and the river - mainly because of how good Manchester is starting to look in the background. Holy wow! And the second one - all the canoes coming down the canal - gives us something as a baseline for when CoStar's tower dominates this picture in a couple of years. The city is looking really good!

Drove up I-95 through Richmond last night at about 10:00pm and I was disappointed in the lighting in the skyline. I thought Wells Fargo would have had its lights on at the crown - nope.  Also, unless you are really looking, you can’t see the Dominion Energy tower lights - they were especially dim.  I was just disappointed.  I think there need to be some buildings highlighted at night in downtown. The buildings have virtually no lights on!  A very disappointing view as the excitement builds when driving up 95 (and you know you’re going to get that spectacular view of downtown when you get to the James River bridge)!  Ahhh, the Christmas months are fun to see downtown at night!

• Like 2

Wells Fargo has been lit up in yellow and blue for the last few months.  Not sure why it was off when you drove through. 

Dominion has been disappointing.  Their lights aren’t very bright.  The Pride and 4th lighting schemes are good but  they completely ignore fun holidays like Halloween and Valentine’s Day.  

• Like 3