Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mHcpnCvtBjI

Here's a great vidoe of Richmond and the James River. The last few seconds are really nice.

That is an incredible video, Brent!! Where'd you find it?

While most of it is skimming atop the James and Richmond, I also loved seeing the Blue Ridge mountains and UVA at Charlottesville. And you're right, the last of the video scanning Monument Avenue and The Fan District is special.

My only old man complaint is the excessive, redundant percussion in the sound score, but hey, if it really bothered me I'd stuff in the ear plugs.

In showbiz news, Richmond area entertainers were well represented at The Grammies in Los Angeles. Jason Mraz walked off with two prestigeous awards; Richmond's Lamb of God lost out to Judas Priest, and Petersburg's Trey Songz held his own against some powerhouses.

From Melissa Ruggieri in today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertainment/music/article/GRAM01_20100131-204602/321453/

I was just downtown, looks like melting snow has destoryed some of City Hall's cheap facade. It is causing some problems around the National too.

Brent, I wish you had some pictures of the snow-melt damage to those buildings.

Meanwhile, this weekend's forecast changes by the hour. Lastest is 4 to 8 inches of snow and/or freezing precipitation for Richmond and Central Virginia:

From the latest RTD report:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/latest_forecast_another_major_snowfall/322190/

Could be the third major winter storm of the season. It's sure to cause a lot of cancellations and closures which means, among other problems, financial losses to businesses of all types.

I think the problem at the National was mainly the falling ice but not much damage to the building itself.

However, they did have the entire block that city hall occupies completely cordoned off. The glass canopy on the Broad street entrance of city hall was shattered by falling ice/snow. As Brent said, the facade has some damage as well.

Here's a video:

http://www.latimes.com/wtvr-city-hall-snow-fall,0,1399234.story

I think the problem at the National was mainly the falling ice but not much damage to the building itself.

However, they did have the entire block that city hall occupies completely cordoned off. The glass canopy on the Broad street entrance of city hall was shattered by falling ice/snow. As Brent said, the facade has some damage as well.

Here's a video:

http://www.latimes.c...-hall-snow-fall,0,1399234.story

Jay, this link is to The Los Angeles Times. Where is the vido?

Thanks for your word report about The Nat and City Hall.

Edited by burt

Oddly enough, the video is actually hosted on the LA Times website.

Not sure why the link isn't working but I'll try again.

Click Here

Great report from Richmond's CBS Chanel 6 via The LA Times.

The National's unchanged roofline has been around since 1923 and I don't recall reading of such a problem with falling snow and ice in the past. But it does sound as if there is a serious flaw in the City Hall design.

There was some cosmetic damage to the National. What would have been mortar back when the roof was done was replaced by an aluminum strip (it was used to fill the "holes" that the tiles leave when they meet the facia (sp?) boards). A couple of those strips have been torn away from the roof and are hanging from the building. All it needs is a quick and inexpensive fix.

The forecast changes by the hour. This story now up on the RTD site predicts up to 4 inches of snow through tomorrow:

http://www2.timesdis...omorrow/323121/

But less than an hour ago, this was the predition:

http://www2.timesdis...-065001/323107/

5:00PM

45 minutes ago, the forecast has been revised again. 1 to 2 inches of precip is expected.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/snow_forecast_reduced_to_1_to_2_inches/323135/

Edited by burt

The sky is blue and the sun is shining brightly here in Manhattan right now. However, it was a mess yesterday. Today the streets are mostly clear but sidewalks are slippery and corner gutters are total slush. Just talked to a friend at LaGuardia who was hoping to fly out to Richmond around 9AM. Just about every flight is cancelled and/or delayed. She is now scheduled on a USAir flight around 1:00PM but it may be delayed 'til 5PM or later.

It's hard to gauge snow depths in New York but 10 inches or so cover Central Park.

Would you care for a dollop of local caviar with your champagne?

A move is on to replenish the sturgeon supply in The James. An artificial reef is being formed in the river between Richmond and Hopewell to encourage egg-laying by giant sturgeon which are being seen more and more frequently in Chesapeake Bay tributaries...especially in the James River.

From Rex Springston in today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/STUR12_20100211-220008/323774/

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Richmonders...

I wanted to know if you guys could help me with something.

Me and my family will be in DT RIC this weekend for the CAA tourney @ the Coliseum. [GO ODU].. and my mother wants to go to a nice place to eat while we are there.. preferably american, seafood, or chinese..? What would you guys suggest?I mean not too fancy,but not a dive either. Within walking distance to the Coliseum too. && while I'm in the Capital City, I mine as well take a look around.. so what are the best streets in DT Richmond to get the most Richmndfeeel possible.. if that makes any sense. Where's your main drag.

There are two places really close to the venue. T-Millers and Gibson’s. Both offer your basic American fare. Both are on Broad Street and are 2-3 blocks max from the Coliseum. There is some good Chinese food, Peking, in Shockoe Slip which is along Cary street (about 7-8 blocks away). Broad is probably the main drag. It has, IMO, the best collection of architecture in downtown if you start your tour at 14th street (or better yet, from Church Hill). Main Street is VA's most "downtown" looking street as it is lined with mid and high-rises. Cary Street has a good collection of very Richmond 19th century commercial buildings. The Capitol is a must see and is between Broad and Main Streets. If you want to invest 20 minutes (and you should if this is your first trip to Richmond)) take Broad Street west to Belmont (about 2 miles maybe from the venue, first street past Boulevard which is a large intersection)take a left. Go two blocks and take a left on Monument Avenue. Take Monument east all the way to the Capitol. Veer right and continue east on Bank Street. At 14th take a right and turn onto Main Street and take that back to 7th which will take you back to the Coliseum. Be sure to spend a little bit of time looking around. If you aren’t familiar with Richmond it will make you proud to call it your capitol.

I'd definitely suggest that drive down Monument Avenue. Perhaps if you guys have some time to kill, you can drive up to Carytown. It stretches from Thompson Avenue to the Boulevard, and is a pretty eclectic mix of shopping and restaurants.

Here's the website

I should be at some of the games as well. The Richmond Coliseum isn't the prettiest facility around, but I think it's a pretty good venue for college basketball. Have fun!

I'd definitely suggest that drive down Monument Avenue. Perhaps if you guys have some time to kill, you can drive up to Carytown. It stretches from Thompson Avenue to the Boulevard, and is a pretty eclectic mix of shopping and restaurants.

Here's the website http://www.carytownrva.com/

I should be at some of the games as well. The Richmond Coliseum isn't the prettiest facility around, but I think it's a pretty good venue for college basketball. Have fun!

I'll have to try and convince them. Looks nice. They are more direct route A to B type folk, but I may be able to sway them to go into CaryTown. I'll be sure to give my comments / opinions too. & I'm excited for the tournament. ODU has a strong chance of making the NCAA tourney, and I think the CAA tourney is up for grabs between us and your home town Rams. The Coliseum is ugly from the outside, but I was surprised to find out that it seats almost 1,500 more than Norfolk's Scope for basketball. You all should be proud to host a NCAA tournament like this. I'm sure it helps the Downtown area out. I'd kill to have CAA in HR. We did host the Women's Sweet 16 a couple years ago.. okay I'm rambling. Thanks for all the help.

I enjoyed your fair city today.. I couldn't convince them to drive down Monument Ave, but we walked down 5th street, Broad Street to 10th, Main St, then back to 5th. I must say.. I was impressed by the cleanliness of DT RIC and the overall vibe was pretty urban. The food at T. Millers? I think that's it.. Was really good. You all have a downtown area to be proud of. Strikingly similar to Philadelphia.