Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Just read on the T-D's website that Harvey Hudson, who was a Richmond institution on radio, has passed away at the age of 88. He was also prominent on the PBS documentary, "Richmond Memories".

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/HHOBGAT01_20091101-143802/303016/

I liked Harvey and have known him for years. Up until about five years ago he his wife and another couple always called me to join them for drinks in the upstairs bar at Sardi's when they were in NYC. He was one natty dresser! I miss him.

I hate rain now. I have a very leaky roof and it's non-stop! I can't wait until we get a new roof...

You know, since no one else guessed at my avatar, I'll let you know Burt. It's taken at 10th and Cary, so yes that's the Suntrust building on the right, James Center One in the center, and the Williams Mullens building on the left.

Edited by Cadeho

Note that all my postings are still on Daylight Savings Time. I don't know how to change it, so am not going to worry about it. dontknow.gif

Burt, if you haven't already, click on your name at the top. It'll drop down a menu. Click on my settings and adjust what you need under Time Zone.

I can't find "my settings". And I notice from your just made comment about Wms Mulllen, you're operating on Daylight time, too!whistling.gif

Here is the direct link you need to make the change: http://www.urbanplan...e&module=usercp

:thumbsup:

I still miss the TOP click, but at least coloring those "pinned" threads makes it easier to get to the underneath topics.

In two days the number of views on the Dining Out thread has jumped to 170,300+.

But I notice the number of posts on all topics by myself has been stuck at 9,937 at least since last February -- that's 9 months. And I'm willing to bet a quarter everybody's contributions are not being calculated as they used to be.

This issue should be fixed, but let me know if it keeps happening. I'm still going around and fixing random bugs that appeared after the upgrade. I'm almost done, but I realize there are probably a couple that I'm not aware of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm back in New York after a great visit with lots of family. This time I stayed in the far western reaches of Hanover County and only got into Richmond twice -- once to see two shows in one day at The Carpenter Theatre and The Coliseum with dinner in between at BOUCHON, and the second visit last Saturday to THE BOATHOUSE AT ROCKETTS LANDING. Out in Hanover, there was heavy snow on the ground part of the time, then it turned to mushy mud. Run off from the mountains flooded the Little River which flows beside the house almost covering the bridge on Goshen Road at one point.

Welcome to seniority, Downtowner. Drive carefully while bar hopping, and take some great pix with your new camera.

Sorry to have missed seeing you Cam.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• 4 weeks later...

The City's website has been redesigned: http://www.richmondgov.com/

Colorful and nice photography. Is there a way to slow the movement of the pictures in order to enjoy them more?

I notice the Mayor's State of the City address is scheduled from 6:30 to 8:30PM next Tuersday, January 26th at The Carpenter Theatre.

Edited by burt

Richmond dot com has a piece on romantic places in Richmond.

There is a slideshow of several places.

I especially like the picture of the Byrd Theatre in Carytown. It is one of the very few single screen movie palaces in the country still in operation. Click the right arrow at bottom of the first slide (the Dooley Mansion at Maymont.) The Byrd is the 6th picture.

http://www2.richmond...laces-richmond/

Edited by burt

Today's a great day for picture taking along The James, folks. The river will crest at the highest level since 1996 near Great Ship Lock.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-075601/320190/

Significant snow possible this weekend in the Richmond area.

Here's are some views of the flooded James from today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/WEAT27_20100126-223205/320383/

I didn't know where to post this (and for some reason I can't send messages to members) so I'll ask here:

TBurban, I read in another thread that you are at VCU. Are you in the urban/regional planning program? If so how do you like it? I'm about to graduate (undergrad) and I'm thinking about doing the joint MURP/JD program at VCU and UofR and was wondering if anyone had any experience in the VCU planning program.

I didn't know where to post this (and for some reason I can't send messages to members) so I'll ask here:

TBurban, I read in another thread that you are at VCU. Are you in the urban/regional planning program? If so how do you like it? I'm about to graduate (undergrad) and I'm thinking about doing the joint MURP/JD program at VCU and UofR and was wondering if anyone had any experience in the VCU planning program.

Yeah, VCU has an awesome Urban Planning program. I'm just a freshman, but I've already taken multiple courses in the URSP course line-up (the courses relative to urban planning) here. So far the professors I've had have been really informative and helpful and the classes themselves are interesting. The pros of taking classes here at VCU or UofR over Tech and UVA is simply the fact that Richmond is our backyard. We've done various neighborhood analysis and observational trips around town so you definitely get more familiar with the city itself. I see potential pros of VCU over UofR as this: VCU is a whole lot cheaper, closer to center-city, and the classes are just as good (as is the actual L. Douglas Wilder School of Gov't and Public Affairs). If you have any other questions, feel free to respond or just shoot me a line anytime. I'm relatively new to the program myself, but I'd be more than happy to share what I know!