Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

It's true! I'll be a Ram for the next couple years. Still going for architecture, I'd love to stay in Richmond and it's a shame VCU doesn't have an architecture school. After the first year or so I'll be looking to transfer to either UVA, Tech, Penn State or OSU. We'll see, as for now I'm taking classes in Urban Planning and Urban Revitalization. Parents are still looking in Hampton Roads though, have to wait till my younger brother graduates high school.

I wish VCU had architecture too, probably would have gone there. I have to say though, I'm pretty happy with the urban planning program at Tech. I've only taken two courses for my major so far, but both professors I've had have been amazing and I'm excited for this upcoming semester. You wouldn't believe how many people I've met at Tech that have tried to get into the architecture program there. It's insane, but they all seem happy with their second choice majors. Look into the urban planning program there and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about it. For my Urban Policy & Planning class, our semester-long case study was on Petersburg. If you or anyone else is interested in reading one of my reports I'd be happy to send it.

I may take a few classes at VCU at some point... I'd be curious to know what you think of them.

Good for you, Tommy. I wish VCU had a School of Architecture, too. If they did, perhaps the proposed Anderson Gallery replacement would have a bit more oomph.

Will you be in one of the high rise dorms?

Keep us informed.

PS, Tommy. Why don't we eliminate the word "Renovation" from the National Theater thread title? It has been open and running for a year and a half. What do you think? And while you're at it, change the spelling to Theatre from Theater as a favor to old Burt, please.

Also, while updating thread titles we might as well change Toad's Place to The Hat Factory since it will reopen with that name in early September.

Yeah, I'm on the 15th floor of Rhoads. Bittersweet, I have an awesome view of downtown..but it's 15 floors up and the elevator ride sucks! haha

I gave back my moderator 'powers,' so I asked krazeeboi from the NC/SC forums to help us out. He's the one to thank for getting them done, and quick at that! Thanks again, krazee.

I wish VCU had architecture too, probably would have gone there. I have to say though, I'm pretty happy with the urban planning program at Tech. I've only taken two courses for my major so far, but both professors I've had have been amazing and I'm excited for this upcoming semester. You wouldn't believe how many people I've met at Tech that have tried to get into the architecture program there. It's insane, but they all seem happy with their second choice majors. Look into the urban planning program there and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about it. For my Urban Policy & Planning class, our semester-long case study was on Petersburg. If you or anyone else is interested in reading one of my reports I'd be happy to send it.

I may take a few classes at VCU at some point... I'd be curious to know what you think of them.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting wait-listed at Tech and denied at UVA (as far as in-state schools go), but I applied directly for both school's architecture programs. Is it true it's better to apply for general admission rather than a specific major and then just change to that major later on? I've been considering switching over to urban planning..I spoke with a friend's dad who majored in UP and graduated from Tech and said he loved it too. Seems like it's better to land a job in a small town and work your way up to the big city. I guess I'd miss the design aspect the most, and that's what's still pulling me back to architecture. This is probably another stupid question, but do urban planners have any say in design aspects of projects? I know they deal with zoning and things of that nature, but are there any aesthetics involved?

I can't wait to start my 'Intro to the City' class this semester, I know it's just the beginning but it's SO great to finally take classes on subjects you're actually interested in!

Tommy, thanks to you and Krazeeboi for adjustments to thread titles.

After September 12th, the Richmond Center Stage title can drop the "under construction" verbiage. :)

Why don't you inquire of Ryan Ramsey at RCW about Urban Planning? I believe he is in that field in the Chesterfield Government after a stint in Rachael Flynn's office. Perhaps you could do some volunteer work with such an agency while a student at VCU that might advance your career.

You are among the 32,600 student population at VCU -- an increase of about 400 over last year. From today's RT-D:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loc...-214603/285915/

Edited by burt

Yeah, I'm on the 15th floor of Rhoads. Bittersweet, I have an awesome view of downtown..but it's 15 floors up and the elevator ride sucks! haha

I gave back my moderator 'powers,' so I asked krazeeboi from the NC/SC forums to help us out. He's the one to thank for getting them done, and quick at that! Thanks again, krazee.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting wait-listed at Tech and denied at UVA (as far as in-state schools go), but I applied directly for both school's architecture programs. Is it true it's better to apply for general admission rather than a specific major and then just change to that major later on? I've been considering switching over to urban planning..I spoke with a friend's dad who majored in UP and graduated from Tech and said he loved it too. Seems like it's better to land a job in a small town and work your way up to the big city. I guess I'd miss the design aspect the most, and that's what's still pulling me back to architecture. This is probably another stupid question, but do urban planners have any say in design aspects of projects? I know they deal with zoning and things of that nature, but are there any aesthetics involved?

I can't wait to start my 'Intro to the City' class this semester, I know it's just the beginning but it's SO great to finally take classes on subjects you're actually interested in!

I got wait-listed too the first time I applied to Tech (for architecture). I decided to go to J. Sarg for a year and looked at other schools for architecture during that time. I ended up applying to New School of Architecture in San Diego (accepted, but was too expensive), Temple in Philadelphia (accepted, but not into the architecture program because I applied kinda late), and Tech once more, where I was denied this time, err. My mom was more upset than I was and called Admissions to ask why they didn't accept me. They said I could do any other major I wanted, just not architecture. So, to answer your question, YES, I would say it's better to apply for general admission (or anything other than architecture) and try to get in later. Once you're at Tech, if you try to transfer internally into the architecture program, you will have to sit down for an interview, which I've heard is very intense. Also note that if you do the program at Tech, your life will be architecture - that's it.

Urban planning is really comprehensive, so you cover transportation, public policy, land-use planning, design, architecture... and a ton more subjects. That's what I love about it. It's a really good foundation for doing architecture later. As far as their say in design aspects of projects, not really sure about that. I've had that question too. Certainly they need to know what "good" design means, etc. but no sure how much they influence it. If I had it my way, I'd be designing it all. I suppose if you were to work as an urban planner for a city government, you wouldn't be doing much designing, but more policy, land-use planning kind of stuff. That's why I kind of want to work for a company like DPZ, or something similar. I'm minoring in landscape architecture (which requires no special application or anything - just fill out a form) so I'll get in some of my design fix there. My friend who wasn't accepted into the architecture program, even after the interview, is double majoring in urban planning and VCE (visual communications and design - art, basically). So there are definitely other options out there, plus you can always get your master's degree in architecture. I think if VCU's urban planning program is anything like Tech's, you'll really like it.

I got wait-listed too the first time I applied to Tech (for architecture). I decided to go to J. Sarg for a year and looked at other schools for architecture during that time. I ended up applying to New School of Architecture in San Diego (accepted, but was too expensive), Temple in Philadelphia (accepted, but not into the architecture program because I applied kinda late), and Tech once more, where I was denied this time, err. My mom was more upset than I was and called Admissions to ask why they didn't accept me. They said I could do any other major I wanted, just not architecture. So, to answer your question, YES, I would say it's better to apply for general admission (or anything other than architecture) and try to get in later. Once you're at Tech, if you try to transfer internally into the architecture program, you will have to sit down for an interview, which I've heard is very intense. Also note that if you do the program at Tech, your life will be architecture - that's it.

Urban planning is really comprehensive, so you cover transportation, public policy, land-use planning, design, architecture... and a ton more subjects. That's what I love about it. It's a really good foundation for doing architecture later. As far as their say in design aspects of projects, not really sure about that. I've had that question too. Certainly they need to know what "good" design means, etc. but no sure how much they influence it. If I had it my way, I'd be designing it all. I suppose if you were to work as an urban planner for a city government, you wouldn't be doing much designing, but more policy, land-use planning kind of stuff. That's why I kind of want to work for a company like DPZ, or something similar. I'm minoring in landscape architecture (which requires no special application or anything - just fill out a form) so I'll get in some of my design fix there. My friend who wasn't accepted into the architecture program, even after the interview, is double majoring in urban planning and VCE (visual communications and design - art, basically). So there are definitely other options out there, plus you can always get your master's degree in architecture. I think if VCU's urban planning program is anything like Tech's, you'll really like it.

Yeah, I got accepted to my two out of state colleges too, Penn and OSU but they ended up being too expensive for me to hop right in. Then with the wait listing and denied admission to my top two in state schools..it was brutal. Thanks again for the advice..it's helping to sway my decision. If I really like how the courses are at VCU I might stay here then, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to see if I could transfer. Who knows, we'll see. I'll keep tabs here on how this semester and spring semester goes. I was thinking about landscape architecture too at one point..I've worked at a greenhouse and have done side jobs here and there for the past two years and really got into it. It's definitely something to think about..

Yeah, I got accepted to my two out of state colleges too, Penn and OSU but they ended up being too expensive for me to hop right in. Then with the wait listing and denied admission to my top two in state schools..it was brutal. Thanks again for the advice..it's helping to sway my decision. If I really like how the courses are at VCU I might stay here then, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to see if I could transfer. Who knows, we'll see. I'll keep tabs here on how this semester and spring semester goes. I was thinking about landscape architecture too at one point..I've worked at a greenhouse and have done side jobs here and there for the past two years and really got into it. It's definitely something to think about..

It IS brutal, it's sad that it's so competitive you can't even do what you want anymore, though at this point I'm so glad I'm in urban planning and not architecture. Good luck with classes, I guess you start in a week or so. I'm deciding to stay another week before heading to Tech because I'm so busy with landscaping. Well at this point it's more just cleaning up stuff but I'm working on a design plan for this one lady's yard. I might try to work at the greenhouse at Tech, we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

There is currently a lot of discussion on TV networks about sales of organs such as kidneys to those who can afford them.

I believe Richmond is headquarters for World-Wide Organ Transplant regulations, but I've heard no comment from them regarding this appalling practice, nor have they been referenced in any of the newscasts I've seen.

Edited by burt

The feature that most newspapers offer called "Reader Reactions" I suppose varies in political content reflecting Blue and Red regions of the country.

There is a poster on the Times Dispatch following the story about last night's Presidential address who tags himself Burt. He applauds the "lie" comment from a congressman. Lest anyone thinks it is I, be assured it is NOT.

The city has updated its infomation screen on the properties. It now includes info on their footprints as well as a picture (or pictures) of the structure(s). They beat me to getting pics of every place in the city... however some of the shots are horrible...

The Virginia Tourism Corp will join Governor Tim Kaine in announcing and celebrating the induction of the VIRGINIA IS FOR LOVERS slogan into the National Advertising Walk of Fame.

The announcement will take place tomorrow, September 23rd at 12:15pm on the steps of the Virginia State Capitol in Richmond.

All are invited.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone knows about this or has even tried searching it before on google or on skyscraperpage if you are a member or not but I was searching for population estimates for long down the road and I found two different population estimates on Richmond. I don't know if these are gonna be accurate when the time gets here but I found out that in 2020 on skyscraperpage that Richmond Metro will have 1,483,015. I also found another site called citydata.com that took me to a link for the 2025 population estimates at 1,507,337 people living here. My question to you all is what do you think the population will be of metro richmond anywhere from 2020 to 2030?

Edited by Downtowner

Sorry to break up this discussion start on population estimates, but I just stumbled upon this really awesome youtube video these guys did - it's really good! You've gotta check it out! This is a good Richmond, VA advertisement!

I love it!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, OK, I know. I'm a futzy old man who resists change, but in this new format I do miss the click that took you back to TOP of the page. Also, I liked the division of topics. Grrrrrr.

I'm old too Burt... I'm lost!

I swear that I saw the division line we had grown used to restored earlier today underneath the "Article Posting Policy" thread, but it has disappeared again. Also, getting on to Urban Planet and moving from topic to topic is snail slow today -- at least on Internet Explorer, Verizon and aol.

Also, under the column "Number of Replies and Views" the figures haven't moved in several days. For instance, the "Richmond Dining Out" thread still shows the number of views as 169,582 the same as it did last Saturday. Under normal circumstances that figure would have surpassed 170K by now.

Edited by burt

Can anyone make out my avatar? I should probably post the full pic.

Also yesterday while I was out taking pics of the fall colors, a deer ran into my neighborhood from who knows where, got tangled in my fence and they had to put it down. Church Hill People's News » Deer meets it demise near Fairfield - Richmond, Virginia

Can anyone make out my avatar? I should probably post the full pic.

Also yesterday while I was out taking pics of the fall colors, a deer ran into my neighborhood from who knows where, got tangled in my fence and they had to put it down. Church Hill People's News » Deer meets it demise near Fairfield - Richmond, Virginia

It could have been worse, like the urban bear getting tangled in your fence. :shok:

I would guess your avitar is a view from Riverfront Towers toward Sun Trust and James Center.

Edited by burt

I swear that I saw the division line we had grown used to restored earlier today underneath the "Article Posting Policy" thread, but it has disappeared again. Also, getting on to Urban Planet and moving from topic to topic is snail slow today -- at least on Internet Explorer, Verizon and aol.

Also, under the column "Number of Replies and Views" the figures haven't moved in several days. For instance, the "Richmond Dining Out" thread still shows the number of views as 169,582 the same as it did last Saturday. Under normal circumstances that figure would have surpassed 170K by now.

I still miss the TOP click, but at least coloring those "pinned" threads makes it easier to get to the underneath topics.

In two days the number of views on the Dining Out thread has jumped to 170,300+.

But I notice the number of posts on all topics by myself has been stuck at 9,937 at least since last February -- that's 9 months. And I'm willing to bet a quarter everybody's contributions are not being calculated as they used to be.

Edited by burt