Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Interesting story today from Axios Richmond:

There has been an uptick in the percentage of college grads are looking at Richmond as a good landing spot for their post-university move, according to a study by the campus recruitment site Handshake. Both Richmond and Virginia Beach made the top 15 cities that saw the largest increase in 2024 in the share of job applications from recent college graduates. RVA clocked in at 14th nationally, with an increase of 0.11 percentage points this year above 2023. Virginia Beach was ranked sixth with an increase of 0.15 percentage points.

Overall, Richmond's share of total job applications from 2024 grads was just 0.71%, which is 34th best in the country, but #1 in Virginia. By comparison, New York City was again king of the hill nationally at 9.1% total share. Chicago ranked second at 4.8%. Washington, D.C., Dallas and Atlanta are all at around 3%, according to Axios.

Interesting study.

From today's Axios Richmond:

https://www.axios.com/local/richmond/2024/05/14/college-graduates-richmond-jobs-2024?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axioslocal_richmond&stream=top

Learn more about the study from Handshake:

https://joinhandshake.com/network-trends/class-of-2024-graduation/

Screenshot (4807).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

What this area really needs is a "Richmond shows itself to the world" event, you know something the Olympics or a FIFA cup. I do think a UCI championship could do it too. 

We had the UCI Road Championships in 2015. Here is the current list and future sites.

image.thumb.png.ee9d043cc065012c5851c4973987a661.png

• Like 3

What's really interesting and quite amazing is that (unless I missed one in there somewhere) it looks like this event has been in the U.S. exactly twice - 1986 in Colorado Springs and 2015 in Richmond. The fact that RVA was selected as one of the only two U.S. locations says something, no?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

What's really interesting and quite amazing is that (unless I missed one in there somewhere) it looks like this event has been in the U.S. exactly twice - 1986 in Colorado Springs and 2015 in Richmond. The fact that RVA was selected as one of the only two U.S. locations says something, no?

You are right! I just wish we as citizens would start thinking on grander scale when it comes to doing things. We sometimes have a small threshold of expectations. Even though it is safe to get base hits....people reall pay attention when you can knock out a couple of home runs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CitiWalker said:

You are right! I just wish we as citizens would start thinking on grander scale when it comes to doing things. We sometimes have a small threshold of expectations. Even though it is safe to get base hits....people reall pay attention when you can knock out a couple of home runs. 

image.png.5d049305eb366e7f0b887933e6ec63ce.png%!!!!!!!!!!!!! image.png.b8ed79cfbbd62b3480970c55e8b73a15.png!!!  Man oh man, you nailed it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Interesting story today from Axios Richmond:

There has been an uptick in the percentage of college grads are looking at Richmond as a good landing spot for their post-university move, according to a study by the campus recruitment site Handshake. Both Richmond and Virginia Beach made the top 15 cities that saw the largest increase in 2024 in the share of job applications from recent college graduates. RVA clocked in at 14th nationally, with an increase of 0.11 percentage points this year above 2023. Virginia Beach was ranked sixth with an increase of 0.15 percentage points.

Overall, Richmond's share of total job applications from 2024 grads was just 0.71%, which is 34th best in the country, but #1 in Virginia. By comparison, New York City was again king of the hill nationally at 9.1% total share. Chicago ranked second at 4.8%. Washington, D.C., Dallas and Atlanta are all at around 3%, according to Axios.

Interesting study.

https://www.axios.com/local/richmond/2024/05/14/college-graduates-richmond-jobs-2024?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axioslocal_richmond&stream=top

Learn more about the study from Handshake:

https://joinhandshake.com/network-trends/class-of-2024-graduation/

Screenshot (4807).png

The best part I see (barely) on this map is that Raleigh, Nashville, and Austin all appear to be red circles!!  LOL!  Can’t see Charlotte. 

40 minutes ago, eandslee said:

The best part I see (barely) on this map is that Raleigh, Nashville, and Austin all appear to be red circles!!  LOL!  Can’t see Charlotte. 

Not to be their defenders, God-forbid, but while they DID decline this year compared to 2023, the overall percentage shares for each of those three cities are all significantly higher than ours. Not meaning to burst your balloon - but those are just the facts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Not to be their defenders, God-forbid, but while they DID decline this year compared to 2023, the overall percentage shares for each of those three cities are all significantly higher than ours. Not meaning to burst your balloon - but those are just the facts.

Oh…well darn! :cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Oh…well darn! :cry:

Yup... here's the breakdown of the percentage of total share and the change for the three cities mentioned and RVA. We're making up ground, but still have a LONG row to hoe.

City                          2023       2024        Pct Chg

Charlotte               1.62%     1.35%      - 0.27%

Nashville                1.29%     1.07%      - 0.21%

Raleigh                    1.04%     0.92%      - 0.11%       (I know the math doesn't work out - apparently 2024's figure was rounded up)

Richmond              0.61%      0.71%    + 0.11%      (I know the math doesn't work out - apparently 2023's figure was rounded up)

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Yup... here's the breakdown of the percentage of total share and the change for the three cities mentioned and RVA. We're making up ground, but still have a LONG row to hoe.

City                          2023       2024        Pct Chg

Charlotte               1.62%     1.35%      - 0.27%

Nashville                1.29%     1.07%      - 0.21%

Raleigh                    1.04%     0.92%      - 0.11%       (I know the math doesn't work out - apparently 2024's figure was rounded up)

Richmond              0.61%      0.71%    + 0.11%      (I know the math doesn't work out - apparently 2023's figure was rounded up)

Well, at least the other cities are trending down, while RVA is trending up!

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 1:02 PM, I miss RVA said:

I'm not sure what it says, exactly, but it was a big deal here at the time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

I'm not sure what it says, exactly, but it was a big deal here at the time. 

Sure was (a big deal).  I remember watching the race on TV just to see how the programming highlighted the city. I thought it was great, worldwide, positive publicity for Richmond. The most exciting part of the course was at Libby Hill where there were tons of people lining the streets to see, and cheer for, the bikers as they muscled their way up the grueling cobblestone, winding road up Libby Hill.  It was super awesome!  The crowd was crazy! I don’t ever watch bike racing, but I certainly tuned in when my hometown was in the center of it all!  

We need more events like this come to RVA. The more the better because it showcases RVA’s beauty and the cool stuff to do here…plus, shows that RVA is a “happening” place!  Draws in more tourists!  RVA could use so many more tourists!  Finally, helps people learn that they want to live here…and that companies want to relocate here! Bonus, bonus, bonus!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Sure was (a big deal).  I remember watching the race on TV just to see how the programming highlighted the city. I thought it was great, worldwide, positive publicity for Richmond. The most exciting part of the course was at Libby Hill where there were tons of people lining the streets to see, and cheer for, the bikers as they muscled their way up the grueling cobblestone, winding road up Libby Hill.  It was super awesome!  The crowd was crazy! I don’t ever watch bike racing, but I certainly tuned in when my hometown was in the center of it all!  

We need more events like this come to RVA. The more the better because it showcases RVA’s beauty and the cool stuff to do here…plus, shows that RVA is a “happening” place!  Draws in more tourists!  RVA could use so many more tourists!  Finally, helps people learn that they want to live here…and that companies want to relocate here! Bonus, bonus, bonus!!

It's a world-class event- and it would be great to have it (and others like it) come to RVA. 

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

It's a world-class event- and it would be great to have it (and others like it) come to RVA. 

The scene as it was in the final minutes of the UCI bike race at Libby Hill in 2015.  Gives me the chills watching this…when the world came to Richmond!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

The scene as it was in the final minutes of the UCI bike race at Libby Hill in 2015.  Gives me the chills watching this…when the world came to Richmond!

I'm guessing this was televised -- and undoubtedly got plenty of international coverage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I'm guessing this was televised -- and undoubtedly got plenty of international coverage.

Yep!  Sure did. It was the best - Richmond was on the worldwide stage!!

• Like 2

It was one of the most exciting races I've ever seen. It's fun to watch the highlights  and see where throughout downtown the peloton went. 

I'm not sure what the final viewership for men's road race was that year, but I believe the World Championships routinely pushes nine figures worldwide. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, eandslee said:

I don’t ever watch bike racing, but I certainly tuned in when my hometown was in the center of it all!  

I work downtown, and, aside from the mess the road closures caused, it was one of the more exciting things to hit here in some time.* My son was a little guy at the time, and I took him over a couple of times to watch the racers. Some very cool vantage points.

*I'd say the filming of "Lincoln" was a bit more exciting, at least as a ground level matter. That production was incredibly friendly to people downtown. I'm a nobody but got to go inside the costume trailer and to pet the horses. And seeing the method actor Daniel Day-Lewis eat lunch at Sine was something.

• Like 2

Axios Richmond is reporting today that RVA has made yet another top-10 cities ranking, this time checking in at eighth nationally in the number of AI jobs listed per 100K residents in Q1 2024, according to a study by the University of Maryland. Richmond's 21.4 was second in the Commonwealth behind Virginia Beach, which logged 33.8 jobs listed per 100K residents, good for sixth nationally.

Washington D.C. topped the mid-Atlantic region and ranked fifth nationally with 35.3.

Overall, San Jose - with 142.4 - grabbed the top spot, followed by Seattle, San Francisco and Austin.

Again, it's SO very good to see Richmond's name in the upper echelon of these important business-related lists. It further enhances our name recognition and gives us more visibility nationally and internationally as a hot "go to" city for companies, jobs, new residents, particularly as work and workforce dynamics continue to change as technology evolves.

https://www.axios.com/local/richmond/2024/05/20/ai-job-hotspot-richmond?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axioslocal_richmond&stream=top

Screenshot (4853).png

• Like 3