Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Richmond International Raceway used to sell-out all its NASCAR events. They built a 200-foot high grandstand and added a slew of seats bringing capacity to more than 100,000, but recently attendance has slipped.

While the new NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte is a beauty to behold, reports say it is not bringing in the number of visitors anticipated.

Maybe Richmond is lucky it didn't win its bid to bring the complex to a large suburban expanse of land north of the city at I-95 and I-295.

On the other hand, perhaps a suburban location with ample free parking would have attracted larger crowds than the urban site in Charlotte.

From a website called that's racin:

http://www.thatsraci...well-short.html

Edited by burt

This movie, filmed in the early 80's at The Jefferson Hotel before it was renovated is so bad it was never released. It has a few semi-names in its cast and lots of Richmonders running around as extras.

It's a pretty campy way to raise some funds for the Byrd Theatre. :w00t: I guess this will be considered the World Premier of ROCK 'N ROLL HOTEL. Show your support and buy a ticket or two.

From Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&type=gen&mod=Core+Pages&gid=8B91FC0940F8409181B31AC6A44A477C

PS: A very intelligent movie that has become a cult favorite was also filmed in the ballroom of The Jefferson before ROCK 'N ROLL HOTEL. It is called "My Dinner with Andre." :thumbsup:

Edited by burt

From time to time, Richmond pops up on somebody's "best" list.

The TODAY SHOW has ranked Richmond as the number three tatoo-friendly city in the Nation. They attribute it to the active arts scene among other things.

Except for Flint, Michigan, cities in the top ten list are pretty prominent places. ;)

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38722211/ns/today-today_fashion_and_beauty/

• 3 weeks later...

Richmond just endured the hottest summer on record.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/sep/07/heatgat07-ar-490694/

This was my first full summer in Richmond so it was quite the introduction to Richmond-area heat/humidity.

But I survived this year, a record-breaker, so I should have no problem in the coming years (unless they continue to break records).

• 2 weeks later...

Wanna be in a movie and pick up a few bucks?

A Lifetime TV film titled "Unanswered Prayers" is shooting in the Richmond area now and through most of October.

They are specifically looking for good, trained football players between 18 and 30.

But who knows? They may be seeking other types as well. If interested, you can register at:

SportsStudioCasting.com

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...st22-ar-518164/

The movie will be aired on Lifetime TV in November.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Where is everybody? Is this site dying? A lot of topics have not been touched in a month in some areas that used to be really busy. It seems like the city forums are the most popular now. But even here is slower than it was some years ago. What happened?

Where is everybody? Is this site dying? A lot of topics have not been touched in a month in some areas that used to be really busy. It seems like the city forums are the most popular now. But even here is slower than it was some years ago. What happened?

The rise of the blogosphere? In the beginning this and richmondcitywatch were the only places to read and discuss hyper-local news. Now there are many outlets covering this territory thereby potentially diluting readership. I still drop in here almost daily to catch up on news... there are several folks here that have inside information that can't be found elsewhere and burt does an amazing job gathering local news. I don't think this site is going anywhere.

Thanks, ric75. I agree that blogs have pretty much become the new local forums.

As a retiree I have a lot of time on my hands here in NYCity and because of my inbred love of Richmond my aim is to enlighten myself and to spread word about the area to readers from all over. My guess is that most of the "lurkers" on this particular site are not locals. I post regional news stories from the RTD, Style Weekly, Richmond blogs, etc. even though they are easily accessible to residents. Since UrbanPlanet is global in reach, I hope my unabashed "cheerleading" lets the world know that Central Virginia has plenty to offer potential visitors.

My special interests are the arts, entertainment, economic development and (no surprise!) dining out. But there are 4 pages of topics wide open for comments.

• 2 weeks later...

The Internationally known peregrine falcoln known as Harriet who has shared a home high above Richmond with her mate, Ozzie, met with a bit of misfortune. Apparently, she slammed into a skyscraper and fluttered to East Cary Street in Shockoe Slip. She fractured her left shoulder. Detereorating eye sight may have been a contributing factor.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...lc15-ar-564214/

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember Melissa Ruggieri? She was one of the best things going for the Richmond Times Dispatch which seems to get weirder by the day. She covered music and entertainment news for the RTD in a highly professional way. Since her departure to The Atlanta Journal/Constitution, the RTD's coverage of club news is pitiful. For instance, with all that is going on in Metro Richmond's entertainment venues, today's RTD devotes much of its amusement section to stories from the Charlottesville Daily Progress about that city's local scene.

Richmond.com, I suppose, is intended to pick up the slack in entertainment coverage.

And I guess I'll never understand why the daily online editions of the RTD repeat stories. When clicking on Local News, for example, one may be sure he or she will see just about every story at least twice.

End of rant!:stop:

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Hot off the Press from a Venture Richmond Inside Buzz release:

Venture Richmond and the Downtown Richmond Neighborhood Association's Downtown Recycling program offers three community recycling dumpsters at:

17th Street Farmers' Market in the parking lot on the northwest corner of 17th and Franklin streets.

La Difference parking lot at 15th and Dock streets (on the south side of Dock Street)

*Renaissance Center parking lot on Grace Street

Users can deposit recyclables including newspaper, catalogues, office paper, clean cans, plastic bottles marked for recycling and boxes. You do not need to sort these items.

*My note: Although Venture Richmond does not indicate the location of the Renaissance Center parking lot, I am fairly sure it is on West Grace between Adams and Jefferson streets.

It appears to me that Urban Planet city forums are becoming less relevant. For example, the Roanoke site is all but dormant and there is considerably less reporting about Hampton Roads than in the recent past.

Some who used to post with regularity here on the Richmond threads are rarely heard from these days. I hope my constant postings about Richmond from up here in New York City are not off-putting, but I realize that it very possibly could be true. I'll be 83 in January, so probably you'll be noticing a slow down in my contributions in coming months. :rolleyes:

I, too, have noticed quite a slow-down. I haven't been here as long as most of you guys but it seems like it has slowed quite a bit recently.

I think all forum sites go through those phases of slowed activity from time to time, so hopefully the forums will bounce back.

I'm really kinda bummed the Roanoke site isn't more active (or active at all). Its the only place I know to look for development activity in my hometown.

I have been highly disappointed by the slow down as I usually check the main Urban Planet forums, as well, but they have been nearly untouched over the past month.

...And I'm always here - just lurking most of the time. Living in California doesn't afford me the opportunity to stay as up-to-date on things going on in Richmond as I would like - this site helps. Good news though - I'm moving to Georgia in a few short weeks, so at least I'm getting physically closer to my hometown!

...And I'm always here - just lurking most of the time. Living in California doesn't afford me the opportunity to stay as up-to-date on things going on in Richmond as I would like - this site helps. Good news though - I'm moving to Georgia in a few short weeks, so at least I'm getting physically closer to my hometown!

Good news Eric. Maybe you'll find some inexpensive fares from Atlanta to Richmond on AirTran (Southwest after the merger.) :thumbsup: