Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

A coupe rumors I want to throw out at you... see if anyone has heard this or if they know more on it.

I was at Hilton Garden Inn today booking a suite for my wedding night in June. I was talking to one of the employees about TC, yada yada yada. Well first of all (not rumor), she said that the reason this hilton was built small is because they weren't sure how the TC would do so they wanted to build a size that was on the safe side...ie-small. But, they are doing very well in sales along with PF Chang's and Cheesecake.

(Rumor)

#1 But she heard that Bravo! and Johnny Rockets are now the lowest selling restaurants in there chains. And that the Cosmo is only 33% full.

#2- Also, she heard this week that the Columbus regal was going to close and move to the midrise block next to the Plaza.

I think that would be dumb for them being that they are packed most nights out of the week and that the move would be only blocks from were they are now, and they just renovation.

On the other hand, if Divaris or A/H has plans for the Columbus shopping center, then that's cool too. :)

So, has anyone heard of these talking points?

#2- Also, she heard this week that the Columbus regal was going to close and move to the midrise block next to the Plaza.

I had thought that regal was staying put, and the midrise block was going to have a theater similar to the Norva, with the sundance group or something. has that changed, or was that never planned and i'm just making things up?

as for cosmo...i've driven by there at night quite a bit lately, and i've noticed several lights on. i think it will continue to fill up at a decent pace. and didn't johnny rockets just open? i wouldn't expect its sales to be stellar immediately, but i'm no expert on such things.

(Rumor)

#1 But she heard that Bravo! and Johnny Rockets are now the lowest selling restaurants in there chains. And that the Cosmo is only 33% full.

Apartment buildings are typically slower to fill up but I have no doubt that they will fill as the rental market tends to be pretty steady. As far as Bravo goes, I don't see it. Those people get extremely packed and if that is their lowest grossing store then they have a very high grossing chain. As far as Johnny Rockets, yeah, I can see that. Their location sucks quite frankly as did their service when I attended. <_< This is nothing against Johnny Rockets though because I had been to the one down at MacArthur some time ago and loved it. It seems like the operation down there is far more professional. The types of crowds that I see at TC on a given night and weekend really makes me think that both resturants will be here for some time to come.

I had thought that regal was staying put, and the midrise block was going to have a theater similar to the Norva, with the sundance group or something. has that changed, or was that never planned and i'm just making things up?

I don't believe it has, that rumor was going around even before Divaris announced that there was gonna be a midrise block. I have high confidence that they are trying to land a sundance style cinema on that block. It would be counterproductive to move regal to the midrise block as the parking situation would be horrendous. They're already running out of spaces in TC and there is no substantial parking planned for the midrise block itself. I think regal will stay put for quite a while.

I agree Johhny Rockets has a lousy location. Yes they have plenty of exposure but they are kind of out on their own in that location. I would think most diners that drive and park at the TC site are looking for more upscale dining. But in saying that the more people that move into the Cosmo and nearby housing will hopefully give them some business as most people don't eat at high end places all the time. BTW, they just opened a new store at Lynnhaven Mall.

I really doubt Regal will move as they just remodeled last year installing stadium seating in most if not all its theatres but of course if the deal was sweetened then who knows? They do have a fantastic business as it is though for sure.

I agree that Johnny Rockets will do better once the Cosmo gets closer to capacity. Also I think few people even know it's there cause of there location. As far as Bravo is concerned, they do very well on there own. I have been to Bravo on a late Wensday night and it was atleast 2/3's full. The food is always good and the prices are reasonable.

In reading this "Inside Business" article about Divaris and TC, I read a paragraph of signed tenants that I had not heard of yet-

"Recently signed tenants include: Plow and Hearth home accessories, Sunglass Hut, Atlanta Bread Company, Johnny Rockets, Jones Art Gallery, Samuel Shriqui Day Spa, and beauty retailer Origins."

I know Sunglass Hut, Johnny ROckets, Jones Art Gallery, and Origins...duh...but I hadn't heard yet that Plow nad Hearth, Alt. Bread Co., and the Day Spa were signed to the TC. Have you?

something to think about with the Hilton. With the Westin getting built, if the hotel industry there really seems to take off, the Hilton might be willing to do a second tower in that parking lot in front of the Columbus tower. Here in Portland, when the Hilton desided to expand, they beuilt a new tower kiddie corner from the original building and called it their executive suites tower.

who knows, always a possibility.

On one hand I think the theater move is just a rumor. on the other hand it could be true. Many cities have main stream theaters that are apart of their downtown and have little problem with parking. Hell who knows this could be something they are talking about. Besides there is so much wasted land behind that whole shopping center, I would love to see it get better use and become more apart of the urban context of the area.

having a clock down there is a good idea, i'm a bit surprised there wasn't one already included with the whole town center package. i was more excited at first, but after looking at your pictures harder, i can't tell: is it made out of plastic or something? i hope not.

This is great news. Linking the TC/CBD area with the park is an awesome idea. It would be great to ride a bike to the park without having to worry about the traffic on Indy.

I'm still having trouble picturing how this is gonna work. That's gonna be one extremely long pedestrian bridge.

Pembroke congestion will wait till next year to be fixed

Traffic is a two-edged sword. Retailers and developers look for high traffic counts, but they bemoan congestion because it drives away customers they sought in the first place.

City residents and visitors to Pembroke consider the stretch between Virginia Beach Boulevard and Baxter Road, just south of Interstate 264, a traffic nightmare.

Independence Boulevard is packed with 10,700 more cars a day than it was designed to handle.

The Westin Hotel along with its shops and luxury condominiums, a project under construction in the Virginia Beach Town Center, is expected to add another 5,540 cars a day :o , according to city estimates.

The $46.7 million Sandler Center for the Performing Arts, also under construction at Town Center, is expected to dump more cars on Independence Boulevard.

Wow, 5540 cars a day? Who would have known!? And as for congestion. I really don't see traffic all that much worse as before and I have been living in Pembroke for almost 7 years.

Yeah, that surprised the hell out of me too. I could've have sworn when this project was first announce that they said it would have a negligable impact on traffic. Whatever happened to that?

Question:

In regards to the as of yet undeveloped parcel in town center (the one between Cosmopolitan and Westin)...It's been previously referred to as a "mid-rise" block, but what exactly does that entail? If I remember correctly, it called for first-floor retail, a theater on the second floor, and residences above. I'm curious to know what sort of impact (if any) this will have on our fledgling skyline...would this constitute something like 12 stories? 5? Can anyone make an informed prediction? It's not supposed to be like the plaza building or Cheesecake Factory, is it?

Edited by nrdzrool

Yeah, that surprised the hell out of me too. I could've have sworn when this project was first announce that they said it would have a negligable impact on traffic. Whatever happened to that?

Nothing of this scale could have a negligable impact on traffic. Just quick guesstimate:

110 residentuial units: 6 to 9 daily trips per occupied unit

Hotel: about 9 daily trips per occupied roomt

retail (includes restaurants) about 30-35 daily trips per employee.

They add up quickly.

Then developer/planners will factor a some reduction of trips for internal trips (advantage for mixed use)

Edited by Padman