Green Square & NCSECU HQ

ChiefJoJo

The project has 31 residential units. The article didn't say rental or to sell, but thats interesting either way. 12 stories high there will get you a decent view. Given that at night the area is perfectly quiet, they might be appealing for those who don't want to live on a noisy strip but still be downtown.

That'd be a pretty awesome block to live on in terms of convenience. You're almost equidistant from Seaboard, Glenwood, Moore Square, and Fayetteville Street. If I were a developer and the economy wasn't so crappy, this would be a great location for a residential tower. You could have commercial in the base with restaurants to cater to the government lunch crowd. The residential would also be great for government workers who wanted to be next to their jobs.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That'd be a pretty awesome block to live on in terms of convenience. You're almost equidistant from Seaboard, Glenwood, Moore Square, and Fayetteville Street. If I were a developer and the economy wasn't so crappy, this would be a great location for a residential tower. You could have commercial in the base with restaurants to cater to the government lunch crowd. The residential would also be great for government workers who wanted to be next to their jobs.

I think that this is a better location for residential on paper than it is in real life. It's at least 2 blocks from any residential (Quorum) or retail (Fayetteville street.) It feels pretty desolate at night.

That is not to say it might not fill in eventually, but the fact that it's surrounded by the state government complex limits that potential, even.

Maybe these units will be targeted at state workers, or perhaps at representatives in the legislature who just want a small, simple place to crash when in session. People who want to live there out of sheer practicality. These had better not be "luxury units" because if so I predict they won't move at all.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just drove by Green Sq. It's looking really great! I can't wait until it's up. Especially that big globe thing. Is it supposed to rotate? Because that would awesome. Throw up some changing colored lights and make it a beautiful spectacle. That's what this town needs. More spectacle. More glamor.

It is quite the project. The parking deck looks like it will be tied into the Credit Union and the Museum. The deck is covered in vertical fins to obscure the view of cars from angles. I doubt the globe will rotate but who knows. Spectacle?.....what downtown needs is more residents and from the last I heard there were going to be spec condos on the top floors of the Credit Union but I am not sure if they are still in the plan...

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an article from today's News&Observer: Green building gets a topper

Also has a great rendering of the project that I hadn't seen before. Also interesting about the speculative space in the SECU building - will that be the largest block of unused space downtown once it's complete? Maybe they can lure another medium sized company downtown.

museum-1116_GDR1TJALI.1+NatureResearchCenter.embedded.prod_affiliate.156.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Just bumping this to suggest that maybe someone might can grab a picture or two. The tower is quite big for 12 stories, and has a weird looking reinforced concrete portion imbedded within the steel frame...like a building with a taller building sitting on and next to it....hard to describe but both portions are part of the SECU building and not the NRC

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I came back to town last night and noticed that the SECU sign was finally lit, and was also pleasantly surprised to see the the blue stripe illuminated.

This building surpasses everything else in Raleigh in terms of contemporary design. Kudos to the designers of this building.

• 1 year later...

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd just treat this one as a "State Government Complex" thread (sorry if I missed an actual State Government thread). Anyway, I just got an email saying the Records Center on Blount St across from the governor's mansion is moving out to Front St sort of near where Trader Joes is. Maybe McCrory is getting some behind the scenes traction on some of the changes he mentioned for the State buildings downtown....?

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd just treat this one as a "State Government Complex" thread (sorry if I missed an actual State Government thread). Anyway, I just got an email saying the Records Center on Blount St across from the governor's mansion is moving out to Front St sort of near where Trader Joes is. Maybe McCrory is getting some behind the scenes traction on some of the changes he mentioned for the State buildings downtown....?

What do you mean?? Is someone finally going to do something about these UGLY government buildings in downtown Raleigh???? Fingers crossed!! :)

Archived