Green Square & NCSECU HQ

ChiefJoJo

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disney's hotel rooms and restaurants are slammed because the weak US dollar is attracting a lot of foreign tourism, especially from countries on the Euro and Pound Sterling.

FWIW, we're back from WDW and I have to say that while walking through Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Magic Kingdom we only heard foreign languages or broken English once an hour. Attendance was heavy, as most attractions had wait times of 30-80 minutes. In fact, touringplans.com is revising their forecasted crowd sizes to higher numbers for the late Spring. Most days from July 12 thru Labor Day are projected as "9" or "10" out of 10 (you don't want to be there when it's a 10).

The last existing building standing on the Green Square property was coming down on Wednesday evening. They were hosing it down as the equipment brute force knocked stuff down.

The Telegraph and Slate suggest tourism is up among foreigners -- their school and work schedules might not be suited for travel/holiday in May?

Universal/Islands of Adventure and Busch Gardens Tampa was about 15-20% tour groups five years ago -- everyone wearing the same color shirt and tour leader with matching marching flag, but that was the week between Christmas and New Years. Bush Gardens Williamsburg was about 5-10% tour groups 2-3 years ago in late May. Those parks might offer tours better package rates/deals? I tried to fake a British accent while in London (somewhat Disney-fied itself lately) a few years ago to fit in, but am not sure how many people that fooled/convinced. We're not looking forward to driving to Fayetville this weekend for the dual reasons of high gas prices and the lack of desire to go to Fayetville.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

FYI, last week I noticed that there are some new wooden panels attached to the chain-link fending near Edenton Street and the asphalt parking lot next to the Education Bldg was being torn up... the first activity I've noticed in months. Also, this seems to be the website for Green Square... nothing new though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The SECU building came down this weekend. They're hauling away the rubble today.

There was a great article in the TBJ last Friday about Green Square, and that it is one of the few positives taking place in the construction sector. I'm not a subcriber so I can't post a link.

The article mentions that SECU will be building a new building adjacent to the museum and DENR components. Does anyone know anything about this? Have they given any indication of the square footage or height yet?

The article mentions that SECU will be building a new building adjacent to the museum and DENR components. Does anyone know anything about this? Have they given any indication of the square footage or height yet?

Here is a blurb on NC SECU's website talking briefly about the project. This is from October, so if they are tearing the building down, it must mean they have finalized their planning...

I recall hearing that it was supposed to be 14 stories. Im not sure if that is a definite thing though.

The rendering looks like about 14 stories or so. Can't quite tell, but I think its in the same footprint as the building that just came down...anyone know for sure?

• 3 weeks later...

An N&O blurb mentioned the state approved sale of bonds for various state projects, including Green Square. I noticed the DENR Green Square webpage has been updated with plan and elevation views (low res--not much detail). Jones St will be a featured street, while the big parking deck will face Edenton St. I don't think any retail was included, but should have been... a lunch place could survive over there with all the legislators, lobbyists, state govt employees and museum goers.

Edenton would have been a good place for retail, as it isn't too far from Capitol Square and the museums, and could have started the transition towards Second Empire and then Glenwood South/Powerhouse Square. Heck even Campbell Law isn't too far from the Edenton/McDowell corner.

Does the parking deck have any chance of having a green (as in grass) roof? It could be a neat pocket park a few floors up, and have more sun (due to the Baptist Church and parking lot to the south) than Halifax Mall gets north of Lane.

• 1 month later...

The eastern block of Green Square is a good two stories underground already. I assume this is parking but wonder what it means for the parking deck shown on the site plan. With the demo of the County parking deck in full swing the drive up McDowell in the mornings is a whir of activity.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest incarnation of the website. The existing museum is immediately to the left of the skyscraper in the street level rendering.

I thought part of this project was going to be at least mid-rise. From the rendering, looks like it will be about the same height as the existing museum. Not that this is the end of the world, but does anybody have details?

I thought part of this project was going to be at least mid-rise. From the rendering, looks like it will be about the same height as the existing museum. Not that this is the end of the world, but does anybody have details?

Depends on how you define mid-rise. I think its 4-5 stories. The Credit Union, as a separate project is building a 14 story building behind there based soley on a rendering...no official release on that height that I know of.

Depends on how you define mid-rise. I think its 4-5 stories. The Credit Union, as a separate project is building a 14 story building behind there based soley on a rendering...no official release on that height that I know of.

Yeah, I'm not sure the exact definitions of mid-rise/high-rise, but I thought there was a taller building involved here somehow. Any word when the SECU plans to move forward? Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I'm not sure the exact definitions of mid-rise/high-rise, but I thought there was a taller building involved here somehow. Any word when the SECU plans to move forward? Thanks for the info!

I would imagine pretty quickly since A) the credit union funds itself and B) their temporary space is very cramped

^I could be wrong, but from everything I've heard and read, SECU is pretty stable still. For example, they supposedly never made those now-infamous toxic loans. (Granted, any mass layoffs of teachers or state employees would certainly change that position...but so far most budget proposals in the state have had only modest cuts in staff. At least, not enough to hurt SECU greatly.)

So I'm trying to remain optimistic.

Archived