Green Square & NCSECU HQ

ChiefJoJo

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my private law practice days, I had plenty of business with the poor folks in Air Quality who were shoveled into that horrific rat maze of a building. A welcome change...and doesn't the state give free bus passes to all employees? I know I've been told that when I start my new job with the state at the end of this month that I will be receiving a transit pass good on TTA, DATA, and CAT...

Thats true^^, not sure how you get one mid-year but around the end of the fiscal year (June 30) a little team of folks shows up with new passes and sign up sheets in Parker Lincoln. Living on a TTA bus line to downtown would be quite cool and cost effective for a lot more DENR employees. I know one DWQ employee who uses TTA coming from Chapel Hill everyday because her car is unavailable. Concentrating State employees downtown where transit is easier to utilize is great.

Thats true^^, not sure how you get one mid-year but around the end of the fiscal year (June 30) a little team of folks shows up with new passes and sign up sheets in Parker Lincoln. Living on a TTA bus line to downtown would be quite cool and cost effective for a lot more DENR employees. I know one DWQ employee who uses TTA coming from Chapel Hill everyday because her car is unavailable. Concentrating State employees downtown where transit is easier to utilize is great.

And I think a lot of the bus routes from the north of the city at least go right up Salisbury Street, literally only a few feet from the front door of the new building...

^ Yep, the majority of CAT bus routes (& TTA, I think) go up Wilmington and back around the loop N of Archdale Bldg and back down Salisbury St to pick up state employees, so it's as easy as walking down stairs and waiting by the curb... and you can pick up a GoPass at any time, which is good for the remainder of the fiscal year (June 30). It's really a damn good perk if people would consider using it. I can understand folks that have to drop off kids and such, but for most people, you can accomplish most arrands by walking downtown, so a car isn't necessary for those mid-day trips.

I don't know what the parking plan is going to be, but I assume that some sort of overbooking (120%?) of spaces in the govt. complex will occur, such that employees are not guaranteed an individual spot, just a lot pass. With Green Square and Blount St Commons, parking is fast becoming a scarce commodity (high cost of free parking? :whistling: ). I hope that the combination of the city looking to upgrade CAT/TTA routes/frequency/benches, combined with more efficient downtown parking usage, and maybe some park and ride lots, will make this a workable situation for most people. Now, if we could just get the state to start considering street retail in it's buildings...

• 2 months later...

The entire site is surrounded by orange construction fencing except the Credit Union. Looks like some demo will be starting soon.

You would be correct!

A week ago I talked with the representative who represents downtown (I forgot her name) and one of the things she was talking about was green square and how excited she was about it. She was one of the main advocates for it, and what she said is that the state appropriated $25 million (for demolition and site preparation?) she said that she was positive the entire project is a go because they've already invested a lot of money into preparing the site. It's exciting isnt it?

• 2 weeks later...

Really? A crew was taking bores next to the ATM this weekend. Maybe the CU will be losing its parking lot?

Well, that's what I thought, since SECU was taken out of the project last year. I believe there were some financing issues. When I walked by there last week, the fencing excluded this building, so I assumed based on both of those factors, that the building would remain.

Well, that's what I thought, since SECU was taken out of the project last year. I believe there were some financing issues. When I walked by there last week, the fencing excluded this building, so I assumed based on both of those factors, that the building would remain.

Now would be a great time for a developer with very deep pockets to come along with a proposal to build a nice big mixed use building for SECU that would allow them to have there name splashed all over it! I was actually thinking of something like the Quorum Center building. IMHO! :)

Now would be a great time for a developer with very deep pockets to come along with a proposal to build a nice big mixed use building for SECU that would allow them to have there name splashed all over it! I was actually thinking of something like the Quorum Center building. IMHO! :)

The Quorum is a great building (except for those who hate brick) It even has the punchouts for future commercial space. The SECU can afford a nice office tower...probably would be better than having office space on Wade and Hillsborough St.

SECU is one of the largest banking unions in the country. They're larger than a lot of banks. I think there exists great potential for them to contribute to Raleigh's skyline eventually.

Indeed, SECU is the 2nd largest credit union in the world. Only Navy is bigger. Compared to banks, they'd rank in the top 60 in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

NewRaleigh has coverage of Green Square, and they report that SECU is still in the project.

I just got off the phone with a SECU rep who stated that at this point in time, they are not 100% sure that they will be going into this building. Also notice that this map does not include the building where the SECU now sits... <_<

• 2 weeks later...

N&O on Green Square... well, work is finally underway on the demo of the old DOT bldg on McDowell St. The article mentions that some of the debris will be utilized in the new bldg's foundation. The story makes no mention of SECU's involvement, so I assume they are not a part of the project.

As part of the design of the estimated $104 million Green Square complex, rubble from the demolished buildings will be reused in the foundation of the new buildings.

Green Square will include a four-story, 80,000-square-foot environmental science center called the Nature Research Center. It'll go up in the 100 block of West Jones, across Salisbury street from the existing N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences. A skywalk over Salisbury will connect the museum and nature center.

In the 200 block of West Jones will be a 172,000-square-foot office building to house the state Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

EDIT 3/30: Cophead has good pics of the demo on his blog.

Archived