Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

I just heard on ESPN radio that the NCAA women's championship softball game recieved a higher TV rating than the Canes did.

That's pathetic.

The commentators were going on and on about how Gary Bettman has ruined the NHL and how many problems the NHL now has as opposed to before he took over. He has removed the NHL from traditional hockey markets and exported it to the south where no one cares. The end result? The traditional nothern markets lost their teams so the fan base there has been greatly eroded. The new southern markets have proven they don't care (its been 10 years now), so there is no fan base to begin with. You now have an NHL that no one cares about.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just heard on ESPN radio that the NCAA women's championship softball game recieved a higher TV rating than the Canes did.

That's pathetic.

The commentators were going on and on about how Gary Bettman has ruined the NHL and how many problems the NHL now has as opposed to before he took over. He has removed the NHL from traditional hockey markets and exported it to the south where no one cares. The end result? The traditional nothern markets lost their teams so the fan base there has been greatly eroded. The new southern markets have proven they don't care (its been 10 years now), so there is no fan base to begin with. You now have an NHL that no one cares about.

Yep yep. And they took them not just out of cities like Hartford, but Candien cities. Stupid.

That's pathetic.

The question is, is why hasn't Bettman been fired yet? He continues to run the league into the ground.

Hockey always has been and always will be a regional sport. With a few large market exceptions, it is a cold weather sport played and followed by cold weather inhabitants. Bettman completely ignored this when he embarked on his mission to take the NHL out of traditional markets to non-traditional markets in the south. In addition, he has allowed the economics of the league to spiral out of control despite multiple labor disputes and work stoppages in his tenure.

The NHL is not the NBA, the NFL or MLB. It never will be. It doesn't have the same mass appeal because of reasons mentioned above. You can't pay the same salaries that these other sports do because the money just isn't there.

If Bettman knew anything about the NHL (he's originally an NBA guy), he would have solidified the economics of the game by learning from the NFL. How can a team survive in a small market like Green Bay? Because the NFL operates as a cohesive unit instead of 30 different entities trying to keep up with its two large market teams that drive up salaries to the point of bankrupting everyone. By doing this, the smaller market teams would have remained competitive and he could have retained his loyal fan base in places like Hartford and Quebec City. Then, expansion into larger southern markets would be much more viable.

Even with the new labor agreement, the NHL is broken and needs to be fixed.

Even with the success of the Canes this year, I seriously doubt that southern hockey franchises will last in the long term. Teams like Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina and Columbus are destined to fold in my opinion. The California markets like Anaheim and San Jose do fairly well as well as Dallas and Phoenix, but the southeast wasn't the place for NHL expansion. They focus too much on college sports in the southeast, and no attention will ever be paid to PRO teams. Unless you happen to be good for a year, then the bandwagon begins.

...it is a cold weather sport played and followed by cold weather inhabitants.

Am I imagining things, or was the Stanley Cup not played in June back in the days before southern expansion? I mean no wonder people have lost interest, that's exactly what I'm getting excited about after Memorial Day, hockey. :rolleyes:

If it goes by fan base, youd think that they'd play football into June because it is the most popular sport, but it actually lasts the shortest amount of time out of all four major sports and it is by far the most popular so figure that one out. I don't believe the people who say football is the hardest sport either. Football players rest for 30-60 seconds sometimes after every play, while hockey players are consistently moving. I do not know why hockey is just confined to more northern areas, but if that's the way it is, it's fine with me.

Even with the success of the Canes this year, I seriously doubt that southern hockey franchises will last in the long term. Teams like Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina and Columbus are destined to fold in my opinion. The California markets like Anaheim and San Jose do fairly well as well as Dallas and Phoenix, but the southeast wasn't the place for NHL expansion. They focus too much on college sports in the southeast, and no attention will ever be paid to PRO teams. Unless you happen to be good for a year, then the bandwagon begins.

I agree with you with one exception....Columbus, maybe out of dumb luck for the NHL, is one of the best new markets. You can't really lump Columbus into those markets you mentioned. If you want you can substitute Miami for Columbus...that market was big when the Panthers were good, but is now starting to struggle.

If it goes by fan base, youd think that they'd play football into June because it is the most popular sport, but it actually lasts the shortest amount of time out of all four major sports and it is by far the most popular so figure that one out.

That might be why it's so popular. You can be a die-hard fan and only give up like 15 afternoons or evenings a year to watch your team. That, and every game counts a lot more so a loss hurts more and a win is that much sweeter.

Am I imagining things, or was the Stanley Cup not played in June back in the days before southern expansion? I mean no wonder people have lost interest, that's exactly what I'm getting excited about after Memorial Day, hockey. :rolleyes:

Very true. The NHL would of been done by now, years ago around this time of the year.

I agree with you with one exception....Columbus, maybe out of dumb luck for the NHL, is one of the best new markets. You can't really lump Columbus into those markets you mentioned. If you want you can substitute Miami for Columbus...that market was big when the Panthers were good, but is now starting to struggle.

Isn't Columbus where they put up that mandatory net because that girl got killed by a puck? I mean I know that was a tragedy, but having to watch hockey through netting to me isn't hockey.

Yes, Columbus is where the puck tragedy happened with the girl. Overall that has hurt ticket sales, especially in the minors, because teams have to discount those "endzone" seats greatly. I work in Hockey and that is what most have had to do. However, that could have happened anywhere. Columbus is a solid hockey town.

Great article! If any one's interested, Raleigh was slammed by Alberto today...

WRAL.com

RALEIGH -- As much as five inches of rain fell in the Raleigh area and other parts of central North Carolina, flooding roads and low spots Wednesday as the remnants of the season's first named tropical storm slowly churned through the state.

The weather did cause some cancellations in regard to Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals at Raleigh's RBC Center, including a lawn party and other outdoor entertainment, but officials said the match between the Carolina Hurricanes and the Edmonton Oilers was still scheduled to take place at 8 p.m.

Alberto's remnants were also blamed in the death of Boton Watson, who drowned while playing with a basketball. Authorities said the 13-year-old fell into a Franklin County creek and that the water sent Watson downstream, where his head got stuck in the storm drain. He was pronounced dead at Franklin Regional Hospital.

"The center of this system has sort of been rotating around Wake County," said Brandon Vincent, a meteorologist in the National Weather Service's Raleigh office. "It'll be overnight before it moves out of North Carolina completely."

Roads near Crabtree Valley Mall flooded as nearby Crabtree Creek's water levels -- normally about 18 feet -- rose to nearly 23.77 feet by 4 p.m., the highest level since flooding from Hurricane Fran on Sept. 6, 1996.

Emergency crews were working to rescue about 12 people stranded inside the mall as of 4 p.m.

Vincent said the threat of tornadoes would continue as high-level winds continued to swirl.

As the storm moved north of Raleigh, radar indicated winds gusting to 60 mph in northern Wake and Franklin counties, he said.

GO WHALER-CANES!!!

No way in hell would I go see that cup if they brought it up for Raliegh! That would be a slap in the face for Hartford. The only Stanley Cup I want to see, is the one won in Hartford when we get a team back.

And who exactly would bring the Cup here, Glen Wesley? I hope the Oilers make a miraculous comeback...

You and me both. I'm praying the oilers comeback from this. Hey if the Red Sox can do it, why not these guys.

Hi All:

I have to say that I believe Tampa and Atlanta will have a long term place in the NHL. Tampa has knowledgable fans and the youth hockey here is good. (People here are moving from Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan in the midwest, and New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont in droves! ) The Lightning are great - and sois the minor league teams here.

JimS

Great article! If any one's interested, Raleigh was slammed by Alberto today...

WRAL.com

RALEIGH -- As much as five inches of rain fell in the Raleigh area and other parts of central North Carolina, flooding roads and low spots Wednesday as the remnants of the season's first named tropical storm slowly churned through the state.

The weather did cause some cancellations in regard to Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals at Raleigh's RBC Center, including a lawn party and other outdoor entertainment, but officials said the match between the Carolina Hurricanes and the Edmonton Oilers was still scheduled to take place at 8 p.m.

Alberto's remnants were also blamed in the death of Boton Watson, who drowned while playing with a basketball. Authorities said the 13-year-old fell into a Franklin County creek and that the water sent Watson downstream, where his head got stuck in the storm drain. He was pronounced dead at Franklin Regional Hospital.

"The center of this system has sort of been rotating around Wake County," said Brandon Vincent, a meteorologist in the National Weather Service's Raleigh office. "It'll be overnight before it moves out of North Carolina completely."

Roads near Crabtree Valley Mall flooded as nearby Crabtree Creek's water levels -- normally about 18 feet -- rose to nearly 23.77 feet by 4 p.m., the highest level since flooding from Hurricane Fran on Sept. 6, 1996.

Emergency crews were working to rescue about 12 people stranded inside the mall as of 4 p.m.

Vincent said the threat of tornadoes would continue as high-level winds continued to swirl.

As the storm moved north of Raleigh, radar indicated winds gusting to 60 mph in northern Wake and Franklin counties, he said.

GO WHALER-CANES!!!

"the match between the Carolina Hurricanes and the Edmonton Oilers"..........

The MATCH?!?!?! They still are frikkin' clueless about hockey down there!! Reminds me of when John Kerry went to one of those cheesesteak joints in Philly and asked for swiss cheese........

Reminds me of when John Kerry went to one of those cheesesteak joints in Philly and asked for swiss cheese........

My favorite was when he said he was a big red sox fan and then when asked who his favorite player was he said "Manny Ortez". He didn't even pronounce Ortiz right.

"the match between the Carolina Hurricanes and the Edmonton Oilers"..........

The MATCH?!?!?! They still are frikkin' clueless about hockey down there!! Reminds me of when John Kerry went to one of those cheesesteak joints in Philly and asked for swiss cheese........

LOL! Mr flip flop himself. :D

My favorite was when he said he was a big red sox fan and then when asked who his favorite player was he said "Manny Ortez". He didn't even pronounce Ortiz right.

LOL did he seriously say that? That's pretty bad...almost Bush-like. ;)

Archived