Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

Yep, here's the positive. He was outbid by Fingold, but Fingold won't be in the bidding for the next team, so Larry may be the high bidder for the next one (in theory...).

I hope you are right man. Although we are getting close, I have a feeling something will be coming are way soon, we just got to be patient. Hartford being ranked #3 means where ready for primetime!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think eventually the state will come to the conclusion that a new arena is a must, just as it is in any other large market city. We don't have much of a choice given the age of the civic center. The study concluded that even a $150 makeover of the current civic center wouldn't be sufficient for a major league franchise, so why even waste that money on a 30 year old building?

I'd love to spend the money on social services, but in this case I don't think we have a choice. At the very least we need a new arena to accomodate UConn basketball over the next 25+ years as well as the big winter time concerts we get.

The final question that the state needs to decide is whether to build a $250 million arena for UConn basketball and a minor league team or spend the extra $100 million for an arena worthy of a major league franchise. I say if we're going to end up spending $250 million, we might as well pony up the other $100 million in order to snag a major hockey or basketball team.

The original Civic Center was not built for major league sports of today. Once the roof collapsed, an extra 5000 or so seats were added without improving infrastructure to the facility. So you end up with 15,000 people in a structure who's concourses, restrooms and concessions were built to handle 10,000. To add insult to injury, the most expensive seats in the house - luxury boxes - were an after thought that were tacked onto the ceiling. You are so far away from the action, you need to watch a TV to see whats going on. Want to see ants play hockey or basketball? Buy a luxury box at the Civic Center.

And no one knew in the 1970's what UConn basketball would turn into a quarter of a century later. UConn basketball wasn't even considered when the Civic Center was built. The Big East didn't even exist.

A new Civic Center will be serving needs that no one dreamed about 30 years ago. Its a no brainer.

And no one knew in the 1970's what UConn basketball would turn into a quarter of a century later. UConn basketball wasn't even considered when the Civic Center was built. The Big East didn't even exist.

A new Civic Center will be serving needs that no one dreamed about 30 years ago. Its a no brainer.

While I know the Hartford businesses and locals are a big part of paying the bills... I would much rather see UConn play all their games at Gampel than in the HCC or a new arena.

While I know the Hartford businesses and locals are a big part of paying the bills... I would much rather see UConn play all their games at Gampel than in the HCC or a new arena.

Why are you against UCONN playing some home games in Hartford? UCONN generates more revenue at the HCC, due to having many more seats than Gampel.

Why are you against UCONN playing some home games in Hartford? UCONN generates more revenue at the HCC, due to having many more seats than Gampel.

I can see his point from a few different persepctives.

- UConn plays much better in Gampel (they win like 90% of games at Gampel and only about 75% at the HCC)

- The crowd at Gampel blows away the business-like wine and cheese crowd at the civic center. Gampel is full of students and people who want to go crazy, the civic center games are very subdued.

With that said, I still like that UConn plays in Hartford just because it's much more convienent for me to see a game this way. But I fully understand where somad is coming from.

I can see his point from a few different persepctives.

- UConn plays much better in Gampel (they win like 90% of games at Gampel and only about 75% at the HCC)

- The crowd at Gampel blows away the business-like wine and cheese crowd at the civic center. Gampel is full of students and people who want to go crazy, the civic center games are very subdued.

With that said, I still like that UConn plays in Hartford just because it's much more convienent for me to see a game this way. But I fully understand where somad is coming from.

That is true, although a better designed arena with some more seats closer to the court (and a larger student section) could help that as well... I would love to see 18000 plus at a Uconn game, plus selfishly I really don't want to drive to Storrs...

I was just thinking, there are really no redeeming qualities to the current civic center. It's got horrible concourses, not nearly enough bathrooms, the upper part of the arena is way too steep, there are many sub par sightlines, the luxury boxes are a mile away from the court, there are hardly any amenities to speak of...it's craptastic.

I was just thinking, there are really no redeeming qualities to the current civic center. It's got horrible concourses, not nearly enough bathrooms, the upper part of the arena is way too steep, there are many sub par sightlines, the luxury boxes are a mile away from the court, there are hardly any amenities to speak of...it's craptastic.

Agreed....Back in 96-97 when the Whalers were trying to get a new arena it was outdated then, but one could make the case that "well its still only about 20 years old...". But now that its 30 years old, and 10 more years of age have only put the building even more behind the times, I think the overall public opinion has changed to "Yeah, its time for a new building".

Regardless of who plays there, it makes no sense to pour nearly $1 Billion in public funds into the city and not build a new arena.

That's why I can understand it and don't expect them to change anything... but my position is that it's a college team and would better serve the students at Gampel. Gampel isn't quite Cameron Indoor Stadium, but it's UConn's on-campus facility and ideally the team would be used to serve the student population in Storrs, not the suits in Hartford. Again, I understand that money is important and can't really blame them for holding games in Hartford.

I love them having the games in Hartford. To me it always showed that UConn is a culture in greater Hartford regardless of whether you ever attended. It's almost to the point of UGA in Atlanta or Duke and UNC in the triangle. Most of us love the Huskies. That is my favorite team in any sport at any level period. That's who I go for. If they played all the games at Storrs, I doubt it would be this way.

Anyway, we need a new Arena. The current HCC is not even worthy of Downtown Hartford.

The great thing about the Huskies is their appeal state-wide. I used to work in Stamford a bit, and there were a lot of people with UConn periphenalia down there. Storrs is unfortunately way up in the Northeast corner of the state, from Stamford or Fairfield County it's over an hour to Hartford, but at least 2 to Storrs.....

That's why I can understand it and don't expect them to change anything... but my position is that it's a college team and would better serve the students at Gampel. Gampel isn't quite Cameron Indoor Stadium, but it's UConn's on-campus facility and ideally the team would be used to serve the student population in Storrs, not the suits in Hartford. Again, I understand that money is important and can't really blame them for holding games in Hartford.

I could buy your arguement if UCONN didn't have much of following, but the fanbase is just to huge here. Ideally having games at both Gampel and the HCC satisfies everyone.

Without the money generated by the Hartford Civic Center, the Huskies would fall behind other top teams. So here's the choice that the spoiled UConn students don't understand.

Play all your games at Gampel and be a middle of the pack BE team.

Or play some in Hartford and continue to be a national power.

All those stuffed shirts that are the object of your insults, are the money machine that keeps the program at the elite level. So when you throw them away so a fifth semester psych major can get better seats, you'll also make the team much less attractive to watch. Then, no doubt, you'll whine and cry that the program has gone downhill and you have better things to do with your time.

I grew up going to UConn game at both Gampell and the HCC, along with the old field house in Storrs. I maybe missed a total of 5 games from the age of 5 to 20. Some of the loudest crowds were at the HCC back in the 90's, pack in 16,000 people and that place used to rock. The loudest crowd I can remember is back when Kansas came to Hartford. Ricky Moore and Kirk King were just suspended from the team and Kansas was ranked #1 at the time. The game was on CBS and UConn was a 20 point under dog. The HCC was LOUD and the atmosphere was great. Dick Vitale once said the HCC is one of the loudest big arenas in the country. I will agree that Gampell is a better atmosphere, any on campus arena is going to be better than a big city arena. Big arenas do work for some schools like NC State in Raleigh, that place is pretty loud and has a good college atmosphere.

Times have changed however, the ticket prices have soared, and although there might be a sellout there is still 2,000-3,000 empty seats because of mediocre opponents and the fact that people are now used to UConn winning most of their games.Games now just don't have the same vibrant energy they once used to have when teams like G-Town and Syracuse would come to town.

Hartford needs a new arena not only for UConn but for the many concerts and shows the city attracts. If Oklahoma City can have a new arena, and the possibility of getting a NBA team, Hartford sure can do the same. Oklahoma City? Give me a break.

I remember the whalers, and their goal song. Probably one of the more diverse teams in the league at the time. The Jersey were very sexy too. Here is hoping some day Hartford gets the whale, you guys seem to want it bad enough.

I remember the whalers, and their goal song. Probably one of the more diverse teams in the league at the time. The Jersey were very sexy too. Here is hoping some day Hartford gets the whale, you guys seem to want it bad enough.

We appreciate the support. I think most around here are starting to get optimistic again and concrete steps are being taken. So, only time will tell.

We will be rejoicing when that day happens, and it will!!!! :D

If you guys want it bad enough I believe you can get it. Atleast that is what I have seen in Professional sports especially here in Toronto. We wanted the NBA back in Toronto, and we had 3 groups going after it through two decades and surely enough they came back. Right now there are two groups, one of which who has been trying to get a team here for about two decades now, that are trying to get a NFL team here. I know this city wants it really badly, and has been wanting it for years, but obviously there are hurdles around it, but I have hope.

Good Luck guys.

Archived