Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

If you guys want it bad enough I believe you can get it. Atleast that is what I have seen in Professional sports especially here in Toronto. We wanted the NBA back in Toronto, and we had 3 groups going after it through two decades and surely enough they came back. Right now there are two groups, one of which who has been trying to get a team here for about two decades now, that are trying to get a NFL team here. I know this city wants it really badly, and has been wanting it for years, but obviously there are hurdles around it, but I have hope.

Good Luck guys.

I always wondered why the NFL never setup teams in Canada?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it b/c of canadian football team owners? canadian football cannot compete with the nfl

They can't, they used to be able to back when the NFL didn't have the big tv contract, but not since. I don't know if the CFL would even be tarnished if a NFL team came to Toronto. Both have different seasons, and technically toronto can support both teams, but the CFL interest in this city is not very high anymore to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a blurb this morning in the Sports Business Daily that the Penguins may be ready to pull out of the deal with Sam Fingold due to "Financing Problems". There is a more detailed article in the Pittsburgh paper. Basically Fingold had a soft 30 day deadline to finalize and finance the deal after signing his letter of intent to buy the franchise. That has passed for some undisclosed "business reasons".

The article goes on to suggest that the Pens may explore the bids of the other three finalists, which include of course, Larry G.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Article

Go Larry G!!!! Although even if he does purchase the franchise, it won't be easy for him to move.

It looks like money isn't the issue, just that Fingold won't be able to move the team... I'm all for it if Larry G can get the pens and move them here. Although, I much rather take a team from a non hockey market, such as Florida or Carolina...

Here's what I see happening should Larry G get the team. Chances are he won't be able to move the Pens, which is ok. More importantly what will happen is he will now be part of the owners fraternity, and should another franchise come up for sale, he could do a franchise swap and move that to Hartford.

This is exactly what I think Larry would like to do. Nobody should want the Pens to leave Pittsburgh, but a nice franchise swap could easily take place and allow a team like the preds, or panthers to move into a shiny new building in Hartford. I still think the best team to move to Hartford would be the Islanders though. The Rangers and Devils couldn't complain b/c the Isles would actually be moving slightly further away and it isn't like the people out on the island are blowing the doors off of Nassau Coliseum to see games. It probably won't happen though because their owner seems committed to a new development around a new arena ... of course that is the same owner who hired the backup goalie as their new general manager so perhaps he'd be crazy enough to sell his team to Larry.

This is exactly what I think Larry would like to do. Nobody should want the Pens to leave Pittsburgh, but a nice franchise swap could easily take place and allow a team like the preds, or panthers to move into a shiny new building in Hartford. I still think the best team to move to Hartford would be the Islanders though. The Rangers and Devils couldn't complain b/c the Isles would actually be moving slightly further away and it isn't like the people out on the island are blowing the doors off of Nassau Coliseum to see games. It probably won't happen though because their owner seems committed to a new development around a new arena ... of course that is the same owner who hired the backup goalie as their new general manager so perhaps he'd be crazy enough to sell his team to Larry.

The Islander's would be a great fit for Hartford.

I would have to think a franchise swap would be so complicated, especially with new arenas, proposed arenas, market size, revenue vehicles, etc.

Has this ever been done in the modern sports age ?

I would have to think a franchise swap would be so complicated, especially with new arenas, proposed arenas, market size, revenue vehicles, etc.

Has this ever been done in the modern sports age ?

Red Sox, Marlins, Expos... John Henry swapped the Marlins for the Red Sox; Jeffrey Loria swapped the Expos for the Marlins; and MLB bought the Expos.

Red Sox, Marlins, Expos... John Henry swapped the Marlins for the Red Sox; Jeffrey Loria swapped the Expos for the Marlins; and MLB bought the Expos.

Exactly the type of deal I would envision if Larry G took over. The Marlins, Expos, Sox trade was pretty complex and messy, but it made everyone happy (except for the poor folks up in Montreal...but they still have les habitants). I just don't see the NHL being excited about losing hockey in Pittsburgh, but I'm sure there are a few folks in the league office (probably not Bettman) who wouldn't be sad to quietly have some of the southern expansion franchises move to cities that would cheer them on even during the bad times.

• 3 weeks later...

I read in the The Hartford Courant today that Larry G will not be bidding on the Penguins again, even though Fingold is out of it. I guese we will have to wait for a southern team to become available. Odds are Larry wouldn't be able to move the Pens anyways, even if he was the winning bidder.

That's OK, we have the defense industry up here, UTC and their puppet Conglom's would rise to the occasion...

We could send Electric Boat submarines up the Ohio River...

We could launch air assaults with Sikorsky UH-60s, Kaman Seasprites, and Pratt-powered F-22s...

...Pittsburgh wouldn't have a chance...

;)

Archived