West End Summit update

william

I went to the site this morning to have a look and just to confirm the drilling looking machines ARE still on site in the far corner of the hole hard at work. Dump trucks are still flying in and out, and the bulldozer loading machines are still there as well, hard at work

The whole is huge!!!!! My guess is that they are up to around 50 - 60 feet, It is a pretty bad guess since my only frame of measurement was to visualize dump trucks stacked up on top of each other. I figured around six trucks with a guessed height of 10 ft each put me around 60........ I have no clue how tall a dump truck is...

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading through this thread, I do want to relate one property in Charlotte that would support the "blasting for the sake of blasting" arguement. A REIT purchased an older building in downtown Charlotte in the late 90's, and demoed the structure and began advertising office space for lease. They then began blasting a hole and dug enough to allow for the entire underground parking deck. They never signed an anchor tenant (this being in 2002) and with the office market crashing they abandoned the project and city code made them fill on the hole with dirt and they turned the site into a surface parking lot. They advertised the office tower for 3 year before cancelling it completely.

Now, two years later, with a decently hot condo market and a much stronger office market, the same company is now pressing forward with a mixed-use tower. Excavation of the hole will be much easier this time since the rock is gone, and only fill dirt is left.

^ I agree, I think this project barring some huge unforseen factor is going to go up. This property and project had been sitting here for several years, so as far as I can tell there was no motive or reason to start a fake start just to jump-start it . If that was the motive, then why now? Why not two years ago? I think this is just what it appears to be, prep-work of the site for construction. I may be wrong, but it seems awfully random if this is not the case.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Squidink,

What can you see from your vantage point today? I drove by the site earlier today, they have 17th avenue blocked off and a lot of very large pipe sections stockpiled on the site.

17th appears to be the target for the pipe. I guess we can forget about driving on 17th for awhile? All the trucks were coming off the site onto 17th previously, and they may be transitioning over to 16th for truck traffic? Can you get a photo from your vantage point?

Midtown

My office is in the round about plaza, great place to watch the construction in the gultch, adalecia, and wes. I have noticed that the blasting has stopped the last few days, but I drove by the hole on the way home, and the drilling riggs are still in the bottom of the hole, you can barely see the tops of them if you stretch.

Hey Squidink,

What can you see from your vantage point today? I drove by the site earlier today, they have 17th avenue blocked off and a lot of very large pipe sections stockpiled on the site.

17th appears to be the target for the pipe. I guess we can forget about driving on 17th for awhile? All the trucks were coming off the site onto 17th previously, and they may be transitioning over to 16th for truck traffic? Can you get a photo from your vantage point?

Midtown

I wonder if the pipe will be used to reroute the underground stream reportedly discovered recently. I was thinking about that the other day. How will they deal with the water? You certainly can't plug it up and you can't keep pumping the water out. So a pipe would be the optimal solution to deal with the water and keep the project moving.

I know we too often try to search for meaning in chicken scratchings, but what the heck. This is the internet and that's what its for. So I'll ascertain that the presence of pipe is a positive sign that work will get back on track. :)

I wonder if the pipe will be used to reroute the underground stream reportedly discovered recently. I was thinking about that the other day. How will they deal with the water? You certainly can't plug it up and you can't keep pumping the water out. So a pipe would be the optimal solution to deal with the water and keep the project moving.

I know we too often try to search for meaning in chicken scratchings, but what the heck. This is the internet and that's what its for. So I'll ascertain that the presence of pipe is a positive sign that work will get back on track. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Blasting has resumed ! There were two or three shots yesterday that rocked the neighborhood, the first I have heard in a week or so. 17th between Hayes and Chuch is totally dug up and they're installing that big pipe stockpiled on the site. It looks like they're just about ready to cross Hayes. I'm hoping they get this done quick, because I like to use 17th frequently as a shortcut through the 'hood.

Midtown

Blasting has resumed ! There were two or three shots yesterday that rocked the neighborhood, the first I have heard in a week or so. 17th between Hayes and Chuch is totally dug up and they're installing that big pipe stockpiled on the site. It looks like they're just about ready to cross Hayes. I'm hoping they get this done quick, because I like to use 17th frequently as a shortcut through the 'hood.

Midtown

• 4 weeks later...

digging a hole that size is progress in my book, especially when it took so long to even turn some dirt.....years

I posted some photos of the site that I took this week over on the NC under the "construction photo tour" thread. Since they got the broken pipe line fixed, or almost fixed, they have made a lot of headway in the next phase of the exavation. They have moved on to a new section and are widening the hole. I am not sure how deep this was supposed to go but it looks like they about to start digging into the second half of the property and not so much in the current back half.

It takes a lot of time to dig holes this size, especially when you bust open water pipes that begin to flood your site

Archived