Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO)

cityboi

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So what can be done to make our airport viable in the future? The future of PTI doesn't look that good, but this is Urban Planet I'm sure we can come up with a few of our own intelligent proposals that could insure we have a healthy competitve airport for the next decade and beyond. The airport has its own major freeway loop, a nearby rail corridor, and two cities growing cities this has to account for something.

So what can be done to make our airport viable in the future? The future of PTI doesn't look that good, but this is Urban Planet I'm sure we can come up with a few of our own intelligent proposals that could insure we have a healthy competitve airport for the next decade and beyond. The airport has its own major freeway loop, a nearby rail corridor, and two cities growing cities this has to account for something.

PTI could become a 2nd tier airport for Charlotte, Raleigh, & Asheville when the reach max capacity which will probably be a long time, I think if the triad keeps diversifying its regional economy eventually PTI will get airline hub.

PTI could become a 2nd tier airport for Charlotte, Raleigh, & Asheville when the reach max capacity which will probably be a long time, I think if the triad keeps diversifying its regional economy eventually PTI will get airline hub.

Its good to think positive but the truth is that PTI had its peak when Continental operated a hub there and since the hubs closing airport traffic has decreased in terms of passengers and flights. With airlines combining that means less hubs and less routes that aircraft fly. I don

Its good to think positive but the truth is that PTI had its peak when Continental operated a hub there and since the hubs closing airport traffic has decreased in terms of passengers and flights. With airlines combining that means less hubs and less routes that aircraft fly. I don

An article in the News & Record said that TIMCO CEO John R. Cawthron accused Honda Jet of stealing several key TIMCO engineers. This guy is a total crybaby. Honda claims it hasn't targeted any companies for recruiting purposes. It's called competition, John. Seeing the way he publicly reacted to loosing 4 engineers, I can understand why they left his company and went with Honda.

• 2 months later...

There is a report released today by the Business Travel Coalition saying that 150 airports across the country are in danger of closing if oil prices keep increasing. PTIA is among them and the only NC airport listed.

PTIA says there is no danger of that but there will be tweaking with schedules in the near future that haven't been released yet.

The report does conclude if oil prices stay high that air travel will be the vestige of the business traveller and the wealthy.

WXII article on BTC Airport report

There is a report released today by the Business Travel Coalition saying that 150 airports across the country are in danger of closing if oil prices keep increasing. PTIA is among them and the only NC airport listed.

PTIA says there is no danger of that but there will be tweaking with schedules in the near future that haven't been released yet.

The report does conclude if oil prices stay high that air travel will be the vestige of the business traveller and the wealthy.

WXII article on BTC Airport report

All the more reason to support NC rail and lobby for better rail service throughout the country.

• 2 weeks later...

The downward spiral at PTI continues. Industry-wide, air travel is in serious trouble. USA Today created a fascinating chart showing the declines of seats per day at airports across the country, and the gulf between CLT/RDU and PTI is very clear.

If you don't see NC stats at the upper right, click on the NC portion of the graphic once. In short, here are daily seats flying from each airport in NC:

CLT: 59,099

RDU: 17,040

PTI: 4,190

ILM: 1,362

AVL: 1,179

Strangely enough, PTI has GAINED seats since last fall. RDU has taken the biggest hit percentage-wise. Mild growth at CLT and AVL, larger growth at Jacksonville, which may continue since the BRAC process for adjusting military bases has been favorable to the Jacksonville area.

What are locals doing to support high-speed rail in Greensboro and Winston? Anything?

• 2 weeks later...

Allegiant Air is ending it's service from PTI to Ft. Lauderdale effective Aug. 25th. High Oil Prices are the reason given.

The airline is also ending service between Ft. Lauderdale and Allentown, PA; Chattanooga, TN; Tri-Cities, TN; and Huntington, WV.

WSJ Article about Allegiant air ending service to Ft. Lauderdale.

• 2 weeks later...

We will already see great things happen to Greensboro and the Triad because of the FedEx Mid-Atlantic Air hub. Now Greensboro is a finalist for a $110 FedEx ground hub for the Southeast. The combination of those two hub would really put Greensboro and the Triad into orbit. Greensboro is competing with Murfreesboro, Tenn and Greenville-Spartanburg, SC. The odds are in Greensboro's favor due to FedEx's mid-atlantic air hub and the interstate infrastructure in Greensboro

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...7822400^1677560

"...the company is considering a site that is more than 120 acres in the Triad Business Park in Kernersville.

this is good news for Kernersville and I guess the proposed HOT? I see Bob Leake, once again, has regionalism on the brain by supporting the new site in Guilford. first the furniture market, HondaJet and now this.

"...the company is considering a site that is more than 120 acres in the Triad Business Park in Kernersville.

this is good news for Kernersville and I guess the proposed HOT? I see Bob Leake, once again, has regionalism on the brain by supporting the new site in Guilford. first the furniture market, HondaJet and now this.

technically its in Kernersville city limits but its in Guilford County (considered Greensboro metro) but this will be great gor the entire region if the Greensboro area lands this.

What are locals doing to support high-speed rail in Greensboro and Winston? Anything?

I haven't heard of anything. I try to discuss it often with friends and family as the topic now has more traction in lieu of our oil supply problem.

• 2 months later...

While it's not been announced, news has leaked that FedEx has bought the Kernersville property for a ground Hub.

Read about it here.

(plus, I'm amazed that no one else posted this as it's been on the news here ALL WEEKEND!! Are all the Triad forumers asleep at the wheel?? I'm concerned...)

• 2 months later...

FedEx has announced they are reducing the number of employees that will be hired at the PTI complex. Due to reduced shipping demands, they will only be hiring around 360 instead of 700-800. The facility will also be delayed in opening until 12/09. No work if later, if the economy ever picks back up, if the level of employment would increase.

This doesn't affect the ground distribution hub announced for Kernersville.

FOX8 Article

I hope this doesn't diminish the Triad's chance of becoming a regional transportation/shipping center.

• 4 months later...

I was in Greensboro this afternoon and took a drive through the new PTI interchanges. If you're a roadgeek like myself, you might be interested in these (new PTI signage, roads, etc.), but there are also a couple of photos in here of the progress on the new runway and FedEx hub.

5-22-09

3555265064_e43c41f8a4_b.jpg

3554466279_b2b38b5999_b.jpg

3555279560_aa91ef6f17_b.jpg

3554476439_358a826c6d_b.jpg

3555289566_faacdccb50_b.jpg

3555294372_deb2223f60_b.jpg

3554490383_2d413ed7c3_b.jpg

3554495045_f9185ac019_b.jpg

3554513233_e0ab18f44c_b.jpg

3554518363_1047b352bb_b.jpg

3554524361_e8a8a74a4e_b.jpg

3555338824_af46486dd8_b.jpg

3555344218_c7923a05b3_b.jpg

3555349388_fb5ec1a4ce_b.jpg

3555354002_05fff196e1_b.jpg

3555359014_65c0d62b66_b.jpg

3554554493_373500c481_b.jpg

3555368256_cb6879c4f0_b.jpg

3554563915_66a8083b64_b.jpg

3554572409_59480a034e_b.jpg

I thought the hub wasn't supposed to open till December?

In regards to the new airline, personally, I'd prefer if Guilford and Forsyth both rejected whatever requests they have for incentives, if any. A new airline started up by the same management seems sketchy to me. Let's not forget their fly by night (no pun intended) business strategy that left hundreds of ticketholders stranded...

I still remember reading about the FedEx project when it was just going by a code name. At the beginning the papers were just reporting that PTI was competing for a huge project. Now, many years later it is finally opening.

I agree Jersey. I have seen too many of these low cost carriers come and go. I hope they set up show at PTI and do well but I would be very leary about granting them incentives.

I think Skybus but its $10 one way fares were simply unsustainable last winter when fuel prices were skyrocketing.

I know this new airline has a similar pricing schedule, at least it seems that way. Hopefully they will be able to get fuel priced more reasonably, since the global recessions has depressed fuel prices in recent months. Perhaps they can hedge like the major airlines do.

In any event, I wouldn't be opposed to considering offering any airline, including this one, to offer more flights that will help reduce fares and attract more passengers. I think what they did with Skybus, paying a dollar amount for each additional passenger boarded, could be an option that works.

Archived