Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO)

cityboi

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel skeptical about this airline as well. According to the W-S Journal the airline is looking at Smith Reynolds as well.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/ma.../business-area/

Well this is a spitting match waiting to happen. I can only imagine the one-ups and counter offers that'll fly if this airline wants in the Triad and plays the fence like this.

My guess is that if the airline did come to the Triad, it would still go to PTI. Plus, the benefits of having at PTI are probably greater, given that some of its announced destinations (Minneapolis / Newark) would compete with existing PTI service, and hopefully, would help lower competing air fares.

Well this is a spitting match waiting to happen. I can only imagine the one-ups and counter offers that'll fly if this airline wants in the Triad and plays the fence like this.

My guess is that if the airline did come to the Triad, it would still go to PTI. Plus, the benefits of having at PTI are probably greater, given that some of its announced destinations (Minneapolis / Newark) would compete with existing PTI service, and hopefully, would help lower competing air fares.

I agree. While I would like to see them at Smith Reynolds, it doesn't make sense due to an old terminal and location in a less than desirable part of town. Unless the City of WS and Forsyth County actively pursue this they will likely go to PTI. I also can't help but feel this may be an attempt to get more tax breaks and money from the City of Greensboro by saying they're looking at Smith Reynolds as well. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I agree. While I would like to see them at Smith Reynolds, it doesn't make sense due to an old terminal and location in a less than desirable part of town. Unless the City of WS and Forsyth County actively pursue this they will likely go to PTI. I also can't help but feel this may be an attempt to get more tax breaks and money from the City of Greensboro by saying they're looking at Smith Reynolds as well. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Yep. Sounds like a ploy to get more incentives.

• 5 weeks later...

unidentified aviation-related company showing interest in PTI site...........

"Airport officials are talking to an aviation-related company that could open a significant operation at Piedmont Triad International Airport."

• 3 weeks later...

I've really fallen out of the loop on any news about the Fedex hub. Could someone help fill me in. The last I saw its operations had been downsized. An article I read said that it was proposed to bring 1500 new jobs in the beginning but (would)/has? started with only 160.. Is this statement accurate? I was searching around on flightaware.com and the flight ops definitely don't illustrate the hub ops I would expect. I see a few A310 and A300 flights, but is Fedex not bringing in any DC-10s...? I sure would love to see DC-10s and MD-11s flying in and out of GSO soon!

I really wish the best for Fedex and GSO. I'd love to see this hub grow to its potential and this may not happen right now because of the economy. Here's hoping for increased ops down the road! :alc: Thanks in advance for any up-to-date information. :thumbsup:

^ thats pretty much the latest status that i'm aware. according to the w-s journal, the hub building opened on June 2, 2009, but only opened with the same amount of employees (160) and flights as the old sorting facilty. fedex gave no timeline as to when the hub will be operating at hub level, and the company said it has no immediate plans to expand the work force there because of concerns about the economy.

a leading indicator might be if/when we witness a steady rise in port container traffic. unfortunately, that horizon does not look good. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does at the airport mean the environs or on airport grounds. If the latter, I thought it had to be the Airport Commission, not a peartcular city or county.

The agenda item says the grant for infrastructure improvements is for land owned by the Airport Authority. And the grant for the economic incentives is being granted directly to the Airport Authority, presumably for it to disperse.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like some on the PTI board would like to see the airport going in the direction of becoming "an industrial airport" as oppose to a passenger airport. They believe that unless PTI can attract more low cost carriers, The passenger numbers will remain flat since Charlotte/Douglas Int'l and Raleigh/Durham Int'l already service much of North Carolina. I have a serious problem with that idea. While I support cargo businesses, hubs and manufacturing facilities opening near the airport, I dont think PTI should EXCLUSIVELY become an industrial airport like Fort Worth Alliance Airport or the failed Global Transpark near Kinston. There will always be a need for passenger service in Greensboro and the Triad. Businesses looking to relocate will not move to a city or metro that doesn't have basic passenger service and think of how that would hurt the hospitality industry. Fewer conventions and higher hotel room vacancies. If the PTI board goes in that direction it will lead to many debates. High Point city leaders are already dead against it. with less or no passenger service, it would surely doom High Point's Furniture Market. On the other hand Winston-Salem might see it as an opportunity to bring passenger service back to its airport (If you throw this name out there, Smith-Reynolds International Airport, Greensboro leaders wont support the PTI board on this). We need to be doing everything we can to attract more passengers to PTI and we can start by remodeling and expanding the dated 80s airport terminal. The exterior architecture is bland. They need to add more services in the terminal that caters to air passengers and a more luxurious lounge for first class passengers.

PTI (horrible and dated) feels like you are in a cave

Terminal_GSO.jpg

lee_pp_ai_pied_02.jpg

565710200_1571984413.jpg

Raleigh-Durham Intl (photo courtesy of matt robinson)

terminal-2-rdu.jpg

rendering-curbside-tn.jpg

Charlotte-Douglas

ProductImage_40.jpg

charlotte%20airport11.jpg

PTI announced a 40 year plan that would add a 4th runway and purchase thousands and thousands of acres for industry. Building a 4th runway would require demolishing part of Highway 68 and the newly built portions of Bryan Blvd.

http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/Articles-c-2010-06-23-205269.112113_Airport_40Year_Plan_Would_Demolish_NC_68.html

• 11 months later...

Beginning November 11th, 2011, Vision airlines will begin non-stop service between Greensboro and Grand Bahama Island.

http://www.thebahamasweekly.com/publish/ministry_of_tourism_updates/Low-Cost_Carrier_Fills_Laker_Airways_Void16420.shtml

great news. Now PTI will truly become an international airport again. I remember when Greensboro use to have flights to Toronto, Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

Beginning November 11th, 2011, Vision airlines will begin non-stop service between Greensboro and Grand Bahama Island.

http://www.thebahama...Void16420.shtml

It appears Vision has had a change of plans re flying between Greensboro and Grand Bahama Island. They signed an agreement on 6/29 to fly between RDU and Grand Bahama Island. The other announced cities, Richmond, Louisville, Ft. Lauderdale and Baltimore remain the same. Bummer.

• 2 months later...

HondaJet decision is expected real soon. Gov Bev Perdue will be making her way to Tokyo to discuss economic development with an "unidentified company"

HondaJet has already been featured in Honda's nationwide automobile commercials.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/10/05/article/city_waits_hopes_for_hondajet

Honda Aircraft Company world headquarters in Greensboro

honda3.jpg

Honda Aircraft Company announcement expected at 5 pm.

Gov Bev Perdue will also make an announcement 5 pm in Greensboro regarding "economic development". This would be the third facility. The world headquarters and aircraft manufacturing plant are located in Greensboro and the engine plant is located in Burlington.

http://www.myfox8.co...0,5479828.story

090213055004_400x300_hondajet01.jpg

Breaking News!

HondaJet will create 419 high paying jobs in Greensboro with expansion (component parts manufacturing and maintenance facility). The average salary for these expansion jobs will be $53,418. Eventually Honda Aircraft Company will have well over 1,000 employees in Greensboro.

http://triad.news14....-at-pti-airport

http://www.myfox8.co...0,5479828.story

http://www.digtriad....s-In-Greensboro

(seven short videos...its amazing how advance this factory is)

http://hondajet.hond...?section=VIDEOS

Honda Aircraft Company stated that even MORE facilities are under consideration for the Triad which would include a third parts-making plant, warehouse and distribution facility. Burlington already has the engine plant. It might not be a bad idea for Winston-Salem to try and lure one of those facilities. The Dell site is ready to go with some modifications. In the end, Honda Aircraft Company may employ over 2,000 people in the Triad. The Honda Aircraft Company campus consist of a total of 500,000 square feet on 88 acres. For future expansion purposes, Honda Aircraft has leased 54 additional acres at PTI Airport. More than 130 acres is being leased by Honda Aircraft Company which suggest they are not finished expanding in Greensboro. The CEO hints of product-line expansion with additional jet models which could mean even more jobs. Whats even more exciting is the spin-off effect Honda is going to have on Greensboro. They will help attract more companies to the area in creating a hi-tech manufacturing aviation and aerospace cluster. There at least 20 existing aerospace-related firms in the area including Honda Aircraft, B/E Aerospace, Timco Aviation Services and Bridgestone Aviation and Cessna Aircraft service center. Combine all this with the FedEx hub and the future looks bright for the area. Training for Honda wont be an issue at all. NC A&T has an excellent engineering program and has already worked with NASA on projects. GTCC's west Greensboro campus has an aviation school. NC should be the country's leader in aviation, after all the Wright Brothers took that historic first flight in our state.

Research done at Gateway University Research Park in Greensboro will be very beneficial to these companies and clearly there will be collaboration. President Obama plans to make a stop in Greensboro on his bus tour within the nest week or two and he will likely highlight HondaJet's expansion.

http://www.bizjourna...-expansion.html

Archived