Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO)

cityboi

Good news about Greensboro flights being better at departing on time. That is a big part of having a successful airport in a market like ours.

As I mentioned before I could care less what name is shown on tickets, airport monitors, websites and such but I have to throw this out there... If Winston-Salem gets its name added as has been proposed (GWS) why shouldn't High Point be added? I would say that regionally they bring in as much in dollars and travelers as W/S? Are we basing the naming of the airport solely on city population? I like the idea of selling naming rights based on who contributes the most as was mentioned by others in this thread. Maybe we could take it a step further and they should create a list of criteria (ie population, total travelers to/from, total tax revenue brought in by travelers, average days spent in a city, average nights at a hotel in a city, total city contribution to airport funds, major universities, etc) and which ever city tops the list gets the naming rights. I'd like to also see if Winston-Salem had their name on the airport would they be so quick to add Greensboro.

Just a thought but I guess unless you call it PTI it would be unfair to any of the local cities.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news about Greensboro flights being better at departing on time. That is a big part of having a successful airport in a market like ours.

As I mentioned before I could care less what name is shown on tickets, airport monitors, websites and such but I have to throw this out there... If Winston-Salem gets its name added as has been proposed (GWS) why shouldn't High Point be added? I would say that regionally they bring in as much in dollars and travelers as W/S? Are we basing the naming of the airport solely on city population? I like the idea of selling naming rights based on who contributes the most as was mentioned by others in this thread. Maybe we could take it a step further and they should create a list of criteria (ie population, total travelers to/from, total tax revenue brought in by travelers, average days spent in a city, average nights at a hotel in a city, total city contribution to airport funds, major universities, etc) and which ever city tops the list gets the naming rights. I'd like to also see if Winston-Salem had their name on the airport would they be so quick to add Greensboro.

Just a thought but I guess unless you call it PTI it would be unfair to any of the local cities.

You bring up another good point. High Point could say its not fair they are not included in the prefix and dont forget the home furnishings market is held there. People fly in from all around the world. The prefix would be too long to add Winston-Salem and High Point. If it were to be changed, to be fair, PTI is the only real solution but then again most people around the country have never heard of the "Piedmont Triad" so that would be even more confusing. All this could be another reason why there has been no effort to change the prefix. They probabally want to stick with using either the largest city or the closest city to the airport so travelers wont be confused.

it would be very fair to leave off High Point because theyre the distant 3rd largest and their semiannual furniture market isnt enough. what other attributes does High Point possess to even be comparable to Greensboro or Winston-Salem?

Im sure High Point would feel different about that.

no smack intended at all towards high point. im not saying its less desirable or weaker...but not the same size physically or economically, as the other two, to warrant having three city abbreviations in the airport code.

Im sure High Point Leadership think they are just as important despite their size

twincity it would be very fair to leave off High Point because theyre the distant 3rd largest and their semiannual furniture market isnt enough. what other attributes does High Point possess to even be comparable to Greensboro or Winston-Salem?

I could spend a lot of time on the impact High Point brings to this region but I'll only list a few things about why they could make an argument to be included in any airport discussion...

The Furniture Market is the obvious first reason but specifically "The economic impact of the furniture cluster upon the Triad region is $8.25 billion in industry output with more than 69,000 jobs" and "Furniture manufacturing generates 17 percent of the total manufacturing jobs in the four-county Triad region". -A few facts from an Economic Study done by High Point University

Here is the full study: http://www.high-point.net/edc/news/062807%20HPU%20Study.mht

9 of the Triad's Top 25 life science companies, which include clinical labs and pharmaceutical development companies, in the Triad are based in HP (ie Spectrum Labs, Banner Pharma, Ciba Specialty). This is are fairly large segment of our current economy.

High Point University has a direct impact on the regional economy of about roughly $290.649 million and creates about 3,500 jobs.

I would also site major companies like Polo, Bank of America, and Cornerstone Healthcare who continue to invest heavily in High Point and the amount of jobs/tax dollars these large companies bring to the region and the state of NC. I also believe that Greensboro/High Point is one of the top areas for attracting new industries.

Just these few items mean lots of air traffic for the airport, they estimate 85,000 people attend the furniture market and that there are 110 countries represented and I'd bet a high percentage of them arrive at the Greensboro Airport. I'd suggest taking a look at http://www.high-point.net/edc/news.cfm (The High Point Economic Development page) for more info and further facts on why they could easily make an argument to be included in the airport code based on what they bring to the Triad region.

All this in support of High Point and I don't even live in High Point. I guess because they don't invest too much in themselves as a great place to live they get over looked so easily. They certainly need and urban redevelopment and maybe their name on the airport monitors.

While it would be great to include High Point (and, I move that we rename it the Winston-Salem/High Point Airport), the fact is that Winston-Salem is more than twice the size of High Point. Bringing in High Point is just a tactic to attempt diffuse the argument and let the status quo, winner takes all mentality where Greensboro reigns supreme and the inconsequential city of roughly the same size just to the west should just be content to bask in the suburban sprawling glow that is Greensboro.

You only have to look to the Triangle to see a model of how this should be handled. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Cary area takes the names of the 2 biggest cities and includes them on all airport identifiers even though Chapel Hill and UNC contribute immensely to the economy of the Triangle.

So what you are telling me is that population size should be the outright determining factor to airport naming? I would find it hard to believe the Triad is one of the last remaining areas in the world where the people are more important than economic impact, that is if airport naming actually meant anything. Big business always wins out over the people and if naming rights for an airport actually had an economic impact big business in W/S and HP would be fighting tooth and nail to get their home city included with the airport name. Other than people on UrbanPlanet I don't see anyone making a big deal over it.

Maybe it has something to do with distance to the airport? From the center of the cities to their closest airport W/S is the furthest away at 20.4 miles to GSO, Greensboro at 11.4 mi to GSO, HP at 12.8 mi to GSO, Durham to RDU at 14.7 mi, Raleigh to RDU at 13.2 mi.

I agree that the High Point card was played to diffuse the argument, and it's a good point that Cary, which is larger than High Ponit, is not on the name. Further, High Point is in the same county. The model should be the same as that of the other airports nationwide and that of Raleigh-Durham. There is no use discussing this anymore. Greenboro has the upper hand, and obviously wants to retain that position. The whole thing was the fault of W-S officals, and still is the fault of W-S officials. They played into Greensboro's hands on this matter, and very stupidly, I might add. There is no excuse for their inaction, and W-S desrves its backseat until they are willing to stand up for their rights since there is obviusoly no attempt at cooperation on this matter (or tacit cooperation, at best) .

, winner takes all mentality where Greensboro reigns supreme and the inconsequential city of roughly the same size just to the west should just be content to bask in the suburban sprawling glow that is Greensboro.

ok folks please enough with the city bashing. If you dont like Greensboro, thats fine. But the facts are the facts and we can argue about this til the cows come home. Its not going to change a thing. GSO is the prefix and people will always say the airport in Greensboro. Whether we like it or not, that is the reality. So instead of arguing over things that divide us and are not productive, lets focus on the positive things about PTI and what it will do for the ENTIRE region.

So what you are telling me is that population size should be the outright determining factor to airport naming? I would find it hard to believe the Triad is one of the last remaining areas in the world where the people are more important than economic impact, that is if airport naming actually meant anything. Big business always wins out over the people and if naming rights for an airport actually had an economic impact big business in W/S and HP would be fighting tooth and nail to get their home city included with the airport name. Other than people on UrbanPlanet I don't see anyone making a big deal over it.

Maybe it has something to do with distance to the airport? From the center of the cities to their closest airport W/S is the furthest away at 20.4 miles to GSO, Greensboro at 11.4 mi to GSO, HP at 12.8 mi to GSO, Durham to RDU at 14.7 mi, Raleigh to RDU at 13.2 mi.

By what measure do you think High Point has a greater economic impact than Winston-Salem? And if you think that, then it would stand to reason that High Point very well might have a greater economic impact than Greensboro as well. And, I think Colfax and perhaps Kernersville are closer to the airport than High Point.

ok folks please enough with the city bashing. If you dont like Greensboro, thats fine. But the facts are the facts and we can argue about this til the cows come home. Its not going to change a thing. GSO is the prefix and people will always say the airport in Greensboro. Whether we like it or not, that is the reality. So instead of arguing over things that divide us and are not productive, lets focus on the positive things about PTI and what it will do for the ENTIRE region.

who's arguing?

who's arguing?

lol where have you been? this thread has been heated for the past several days.

Its frustrating because the whole mentality here is that one city is going to benefit over the other because of airport location or an airport prefix. Its that same mentaility the prevents the Triad from working together like it should. Its that airport in Greensboro that helped land Dell in Winston-Salem. Its that airport in Greensboro that helps High Point to continue hosting the International Home Furnishings Market. Greensboro or Winston-Salem wouldnt be what it is today without it. Thats the point im trying to drive home. The airport is benefitting all of the Triad and it does no good rehashing the woulda coulda shouldas from decades ago.

While it would be great to include High Point (and, I move that we rename it the Winston-Salem/High Point Airport), the fact is that Winston-Salem is more than twice the size of High Point. Bringing in High Point is just a tactic to attempt diffuse the argument and let the status quo, winner takes all mentality where Greensboro reigns supreme and the inconsequential city of roughly the same size just to the west should just be content to bask in the suburban sprawling glow that is Greensboro.

You only have to look to the Triangle to see a model of how this should be handled. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Cary area takes the names of the 2 biggest cities and includes them on all airport identifiers even though Chapel Hill and UNC contribute immensely to the economy of the Triangle.

I won't speak to Cityboi's mind or motives, because I agree he does have a bias (albeit more good natured than most biases on UP) towards Greensboro, but I can speak to my own. We should include all 3 city names because HP contributes as much air traffic as it's larger neighbors. And while debatable, it is possible that it is more well known outside of this state than either WS or GBO.

It does not matter that the full name would be long - "Greensboro Winston-Salem High Point Int'l Airport" could just be shortened to GWH, and is perfect. The argument to add High Point is not some sly way to keep it as GSO, there are a number of ways to shorten and abbreviate "Greensboro Winston-Salem High Point Int'l Airport" on airport signs, monitors, etc., though it will fit just like that on most anyway.

The Raleigh-Durham argument does not hold water because it's airport is equidistant to it's constituent cities, and neither Cary or Chapel Hill are comparable to HP in terms of the amount of air traffic they are responsible for, and in Cary's case it is a giant suburb, High Point has a long history of being a distinct and true city on it's own. Cary was also a tiny and insignificant town when the RDU airport was established.

By what measure do you think High Point has a greater economic impact than Winston-Salem? And if you think that, then it would stand to reason that High Point very well might have a greater economic impact than Greensboro as well. And, I think Colfax and perhaps Kernersville are closer to the airport than High Point.

I've never once said High Point's economic impact was "greater" than Winston-Salem's but rather they are as important to the regional economy.

Perhaps you missed my point in reference to your prior comment. In your prior comment you said, "While it would be great to include High Point (and, I move that we rename it the Winston-Salem/High Point Airport), the fact is that Winston-Salem is more than twice the size of High Point". My point was that perhaps there should be more to naming something (specifically an airport) than total population and that perhaps economic factors should be taken into account. I am not making any claims that one city is more important economically but rather that each city has a right to make a claim that they should be part of the airport name based on what they bring to the region. We wouldn't have an "international" airport here if it weren't for the three major cities that make up the Triad, as well as the surround communities. But some people have posted claims that say Winston-Salem is more important than High Point and I am providing facts that help illustrate this may not be the case. And if three cities could say they have a right to be included in an airport's name then it would be simpler and less confusing for travelers to either name it after the largest, closest city or name it for a region such as PTI. Apparently the people who make these decisions felt that Greensboro was the way to go and that Piedmont Triad didn't work. Maybe we could get someone to ask a member of the Airport Authority why the name is not more regionally based.

Also well said nowensone

Well, it's certainly easy from a Greensboro perspective to indicate status quo, and nothin' ain't ever gonna change. OK, I suggest removing Durham from that airport's name so that we have an equitable situation in NC; Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro airports (not really).

Triadism can never truly work while W-S is treated so unfairly. I would hope that someone from W-S who can influence officials there has been reading all of this. All it would take is for W-S to lose a potential big relocation because the potential relocator says "why does Winston-Salem not have an airport?".

Some things are just plain wrong, and must be evaluated, analyzed, and fixed.

Well, it's certainly easy from a Greensboro perspective to indicate status quo, and nothin' ain't ever gonna change. OK, I suggest removing Durham from that airport's name so that we have an equitable situation in NC; Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro airports (not really).

Triadism can never truly work while W-S is treated so unfairly. I would hope that someone from W-S who can influence officials there has been reading all of this. All it would take is for W-S to lose a potential big relocation because the potential relocator says "why does Winston-Salem not have an airport?".

Some things are just plain wrong, and must be evaluated, analyzed, and fixed.

Why does everything have to be fair or equal? In reality thats just not the case. In any multi city metro there will always be one city bigger than the other. There will always be certain advantages that other cities will have. There will always be one city that gets recognized more than the other. Life is not fair but we need to grow up make the best of it and try and work together. I have never seen a metro in this entire country where the cities act so bitterly towards one another. Its rediculous. Raleigh could easily say its unfair that the majority of RTP is in Durham. But they dont because they understand RTP benefits the whole region. PTI is no different.

But it's Raleigh-Durham Airport. Just add the name, and make it Greensboro/Winston-Salem; why not. This is the only exception nationwide to this type of situation. This is clearly an exception to the nationwide "rule" of air service transportation.

What is amazing is that Winston-Salem is keeping pace with Greensboro, stride-for-stride, and is almost as large, when Greensboro unquestionably is the transportation nexus of the Triad. The airport is not in, but surrounded by Greensboro; the Interstate highway system focuses on Greensboro (three Interstates - I 85, I 40, and highjacked I 73) whereas W-S has two Interstates (I 40 and I 74, the latter of which was added because everyone, Federal, State, and local could not overlook the inequity of that action, not to mention the overidding need for another Interstate in W-S, and nevermind that even I 74 now skirts the northeastern edge instead of through the city as originally proposed); and the rail system bypasses W-S entirely. There is no water transport in the Triad.

So, way to go W-S for being innovative enough and doggedly enough to keep pace without any of the transportation clout, which is comparable to Raleigh having the State Capital added advantage.

Well The airport use to be called Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point Airport but that name was too long. It would be disrepectful to High Point to leave them out and say Greensboro/Winston-Salem Intl Airport, especially if High point is contributing funds towards the airport. So Piedmont Triad Intl Airport made sense. It could have easily been called Greensboro Intl Airport but they didnt do that.

Piedmont Triad sounds a little too "countryish." I don't know why it does but I guess it's because of most of rural Virginia and North Carolina is referred to as the Piedmont. Obviously Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point is too long, but I'm undecided whether High Point should be included in the name. I tend to think it should be because of the furniture market's struggling success, and the name change could possibly keep it alive.

Piedmont Triad sounds a little too "countryish." I don't know why it does but I guess it's because of most of rural Virginia and North Carolina is referred to as the Piedmont. Obviously Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point is too long, but I'm undecided whether High Point should be included in the name. I tend to think it should be because of the furniture market's struggling success, and the name change could possibly keep it alive.

High Point is definately an important enough community. Afterall thats why its the Triad. Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point. Its a 3 city metro, not two.

Archived