240 Ionia - New Development

GRDadof3

The River House site is nothing to write home about, yet it's effective and the project is now going vertical. In related news, the sales team working on this project successfully sold River House to uber-verticalness. Chris Knape says four reservations are for the development team, and 13 are for outside investors/residents on today's blog..

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow I like that too, that's much different than the conceptual design they gave. For some reason I thought this project was dead or close too it, I though that tall house would go up, and that this one was more fluff. But I guess I was wrong.

There was never anything definitive on this until just recently. They now have a sales team in place and are taking reservations. I now give this project a better chance of happening than Tall House (of course just my opinion).

In related news, It looks like they are getting ready to erect signs, and they are cleaning up that lot a bit (taking down the chain link fence).

411796588_bcfa82ec1d_b.jpg

411796565_844f70feba_b.jpg

I don't like the two blank walls much but hopefully other buildings will fill the void someday.

Boy GRDad, you sure do have a lot of renderings on this. You an insider? :)

Should be interesting to see how this affects Tall House. I like the location of Tall House better, but I like the height of 240. Design-wise, I like them both about the same though I think 240 will fit better with the fabric of the neighborhood.

Joe

I'm betting those blank walls are flush with the edge of the property. Somebody could build adjacent buildings that would cover them up. It would be rather pointless to build windows or garage entrances on those sides. I agree that Ionia isn't the best choice for the garage entrance, but it's either Ionia or Williams. Why are there two garage door though, and why is one of them rather wide?

Site Plan. It does pretty much fill up the entire lot, which is good. The parkers at Purple East will have to look at a big wall, but there shouldn't be a surface lot there anyway. :angry:

412779428_6783b0d51e_o.jpg

No insider info Joe. They have a request in the Planning Commission agenda for a few minor items (less parking than what is required is one of them :yahoo: )

I'm betting those blank walls are flush with the edge of the property. Somebody could build adjacent buildings that would cover them up. It would be rather pointless to build windows or garage entrances on those sides. I agree that Ionia isn't the best choice for the garage entrance, but it's either Ionia or Williams. Why are there two garage door though, and why is one of them rather wide?

Site Plan. It does pretty much fill up the entire lot, which is good. The parkers at Purple East will have to look at a big wall, but there shouldn't be a surface lot there anyway. :angry:

No insider info Joe. They have a request in the Planning Commission agenda for a few minor items (less parking than what is required is one of them :yahoo: )

Indeed the garage doors must face somewhere onto a pedestrian environment. After all, alleyways just don't exist there and the pedestrian space IS between the building and the road. The lack of ground-floor windows on the South and East sides are perfectly understandable and I don't blame them for keeping them blank. It's really no different than the lack of the white stone facade on the back end of the McKay.. which I'm sure they expected to get hidden by other buildings if it weren't for the great depression.

All in all, so far I'm thinking this design deserves a 10/10. (Excluding the architectural style.. which I also think is fantastic as well!)

This thing looks awesome! Hopfully something will get built next to it after a while, too. We can start rebuilding our cities just like they did back in the day- buildings butting right up next to the one next to it.

I don't have that particular area completely memorized. But wasn't there always a surface lot next to where this development is to be built or is this a case of a building being demolished to make way for a new surface lot? If its the latter, then consider my feathers ruffled.

I don't have that particular area completely memorized. But wasn't there always a surface lot next to where this development is to be built or is this a case of a building being demolished to make way for a new surface lot? If its the latter, then consider my feathers ruffled.

If a surface lot is built there. It would be nice if it were screened from view with a decent looking fence coupled with dense vegetation.

Nope, just a big fenced in dirt lot right now. I'm sure there was a building there at some point, but I don't remember one recently.

411796565_844f70feba_b.jpg

Archived