Mills/50

camstrang

• 4 weeks later...

The former longtime open-air coin laundry on Mills will be converted to a burger and fries spot (they could do some cool stuff with it - I hope they don’t just tear it down and give us a square box). Also, the nearby Kittinger Business Machines (which has also been there forever) building has been purchased:

https://bungalower.com/2021/11/02/former-mills-50-laundry-building-being-transformed-into-restaurant/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058

4 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Curious - i see Colonial Plaza updates included in this thread.  @smileguy, has the owner or property management group been at the table for anything?  Any discussions for any capital improvement or programming partnerships?

Are you talking about the repainting of the plaza?  I wonder why they went with that color.  It looks like they just primered the building to me.  Not to mention Barnes and Noble's sign now completely gets washed out with the new color.  But then again I wonder how long B&N survives there.  Ironically, if they still had their old sign, it wouldn't appear washed out.

Edited by codypet

8 minutes ago, codypet said:

Are you talking about the repainting of the plaza?  I wonder why they went with that color.  It looks like they just primered the building to me.  Not to mention Barnes and Noble's sign now completely gets washed out with the new color.  But then again I wonder how long B&N survives there.

Don’t know how true this is, but I was told by a friend in the book biz in Nashville when B&N announced Waterford was closing that the Colonial Plaza location was one of the more successful among second-tier city locations. Who knew?

12 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Curious - i see Colonial Plaza updates included in this thread.  @smileguy, has the owner or property management group been at the table for anything?  Any discussions for any capital improvement or programming partnerships?

I’m hoping it’s because the Mills/50 thread is about seven years older than the Milk. Otoh, I guess we’re doing it again so maybe we just like to color outside the lines around here ;)

Edited by spenser1058

5 hours ago, codypet said:

Are you talking about the repainting of the plaza?  I wonder why they went with that color.  It looks like they just primered the building to me.  Not to mention Barnes and Noble's sign now completely gets washed out with the new color.  But then again I wonder how long B&N survives there.  Ironically, if they still had their old sign, it wouldn't appear washed out.

Property management has been difficult to engage.  Hopefully with the Kimco merger, they become more responsive.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The hard to miss Orange building is up for sale and will apparently lose its distinctive mural:

https://bungalower.com/2021/12/07/orange-warehouse-for-sale-in-mills-50/

From Bungalower 

At least it's just coming down rather than being painted over.

Likely it can go back up somewher else. 

Not my favorite mural either way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 5:35 PM, spenser1058 said:

Shall we stop in at Ziggie’s Pizza and try a pizza that has green goddess dressing as an ingredient? We’d be fools not to!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/67-pizza/5898-ziggie-s-pizza

From Scott J

I can't recommend Ziggie's enough. Up there with Pizza Bruno.

Also, it looks like sitework has started at the Alexan50 site with some serious box culverts.

mills50.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Still no sign of Kobe Steak, but another coffee shop is on the way to 1233 E. Colonial Drive:

https://bungalower.com/2022/01/16/new-coffee-shop-opening-in-mills-50/

From Bungalower 

Construction is just underway, so it might be a while but look for Haan Coffee Roasters.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

Project consists of Conditional Use Permit to allow a drive‐through restaurant (likely a Dunkin Donuts) as part of the development of an in‐line 7,200 square foot retail building. Site is currently vacant. Place in 2021‐2025 time period for Growth Projections.

4 other available storefronts in addition to planned drive through restaurant. 

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/07/MPBStaffReport2018-07_CUP2018-10000.pdf

Elevations showing brick facade with arcade overhang and storefront glass entryways fronting Colonial with concrete walkway and parking in the rear:

image.thumb.png.fd63805070e6ef534e316bcd08eddd2e.png

image.png.d80f9bf6b58dbe006e50000e05b645ea.png

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, orlandocity87 said:

I drive by this one daily. I think it's nearing completion.

I'm eager to see what the empty lot next to it will be. These are big lots with hefty zoning, so hopefully we get something better than a strip mall. 

Maybe that's what will end up there...  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Boom crane on site at Alexan Mills 50. The stair towers are all topped out and they were pouring foundations. Not sure what the construction of this will be, as there is a lot of CMUs on site still. Maybe CMU GF and SS/prefab deck?  I thought it would be stick-built with how cheap it is and the stairwell towers going up alone first, but they had stacks of CMUs still. Maybe it will be Sticks for the top 3-4 stories in a combo? 

20220321_173532.thumb.jpg.7f3a6dc50983488ae9be118c79a19e55.jpg

20220316_174207.thumb.jpg.1c6b5360142559f5ed7611226db35c5a.jpg

20220316_174156.thumb.jpg.fb3a1d4069b5b3c362b1b93cfa2a3ddc.jpg

20220316_174202.thumb.jpg.9b105b2f62a9bbead74a877e712eb3bf.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3