Mills/50

camstrang

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this!! I was wondering yesterday if there was an organization like this in Central Florida.

The amazing people at the Zebra House Coalition have finally opened the doors to their impressive new home at 911 N Mills Ave.  They provide short term housing and support to homeless LGBT youth.  

http://www.zebrayouth.org/index.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Running on the Urban Trail this morning, I noticed they have started installing about an 8 foot high carved stone retaining wall on the whole North and Northwest perimeter of the parcel.  I didn't realize that there was that much change in elevation on the site.  It doesn't look like a retaining wall one would typically see in Florida--castle like looking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The wall goes all the way up to the market along the west wall now.  There are a few places that look to be reserved for stairs.

They just put some steel beams (vertical, don't remember if that is the correct term) in the ground in the southeast corner of the property.  I think they did that on Friday morning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like all four buildings in the southern section are now completely framed and roofed, with the Fresh Market masonry (almost) done.  

I included the last picture because it shows that despite the gaping section of parking lot, the buildings still create a nice street edge.  I hope that corner is finished nicely with a big sidewalk and entrances to the buildings -- I'd hate for those to be blank walls with entrances only on the parking side.

Edit: The two southern buildings and the Fresh Market have roofs; the fourth building has trusses up.

post-25309-0-12318800-1367986628_thumb.j

post-25309-0-34385800-1367986633_thumb.j

post-25309-0-75896800-1367986637_thumb.j

Edited by alex
  • Like 1

I guess I'll post these here, too, since the building is on Mills, close to Nebraska: After weeks of working on the foundation, the medical office building across from Mills Park has gone up almost over night.  I took these pictures Sunday, and since then it's even more complete.

Also, it's quite tall, which I think will balance out the northern section of Mills Park.  Hopefully the other empty lots along Mills are developed soon with similar density.

post-25309-0-47057500-1367987118_thumb.j

post-25309-0-16232900-1367987122_thumb.j

post-25309-0-14643500-1367987126_thumb.j

It looks like all four buildings in the southern section are now completely framed and roofed, with the Fresh Market masonry (almost) done.  

I included the last picture because it shows that despite the gaping section of parking lot, the buildings still create a nice street edge.  I hope that corner is finished nicely with a big sidewalk and entrances to the buildings -- I'd hate for those to be blank walls with entrances only on the parking side.

Edit: The two southern buildings and the Fresh Market have roofs; the fourth building has trusses up.

I hope those buildings have street interaction with Virginia, as well.

^Agreed -- Virginia is the most important element to all of this.  It has potential to transform into a destination street between Mills and Ivanhoe.  I would hate to see that squandered.

Hard to tell looking at site plans and renderings. Most of the current line up has consisted of restaurants (First Watch, a brew house, a coffee house). Ideally, one or more of these places would use the Virginia-facing section of the development for outdoor seating (like the Matador and new Spanish restaurant are doing just down the road).