Richmond in Pictures II

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha! Meese..... :lol:

Im uploading pictures from today! Sorry in advance, Burt. I had my camera up a lot.....

Tommy, lad. I'm trying to figure out why you are apologizing. Is it because your camera is aimed up?

I think the pictures are excellent and of your usual caliber.

I notice you are very fond of old City Hall :)

Maybe the apology was for the lack of explanation of the crane at (or near) Edgeworth, because I'm still confused as to its location and purpose.. :dontknow:

Wonderful camera work, and thanks for the foto tour.

I'm curuous, Burban, about all those shots on lower Monument Avenue and down Franklin Street. Did you walk that route? Some of the buildings you photographed are close together and I can't imagine your driving and parking every two blocks or so. On the other hand, you must have had your car unless there was a designated driver who stopped and started while you strolled from one site to another.

Picture #10 is now called Johnson Hall and is a VCU dorm. But it was built in the late 1920s as Monroe Terrace, a very swanky apartment house. It and the Prestwould, a block east on the other side of Franklin, were very prestigeous addresses.

I like the detail on the facade of Monroe Terrace (Johnson Hall). It is at the s/w corner of Laurel and Franklin Streets on the VCU Monroe Park Campus. Its roof is home to one of VCU's Ram Cams.

I'm curuous, Burban, about all those shots on lower Monument Avenue and down Franklin Street. Did you walk that route? Some of the buildings you photographed are close together and I can't imagine your driving and parking every two blocks or so. On the other hand, you must have had your car unless there was a designated driver who stopped and started while you strolled from one site to another.

Picture #10 is now called Johnson Hall and is a VCU dorm. But it was built in the late 1920s as Monroe Terrace, a very swanky apartment house. It and the Prestwould, a block east on the other side of Franklin, were very prestigeous addresses.

I like the detail on the facade of Monroe Terrace (Johnson Hall). It is at the s/w corner of Laurel and Franklin Streets on the VCU Monroe Park Campus. Its roof is home to one of VCU's Ram Cams.

Yeah, I had a designated driver, but all my shots along Monument were taken from a car, including some in the CBD :thumbsup:

very nice tommy! I've been busy and haven't had a chance to get out much to take pictures.

annnnd to top it all off, I can't find one of my memory cards from my trip West that included the Grand Teton's, Jackson Hole, all of Yellowstone, whitewater rafting in Montana, and all sorts of other awesome stuff.... needlesss to say I'm a little peeved.

very nice tommy! I've been busy and haven't had a chance to get out much to take pictures.

annnnd to top it all off, I can't find one of my memory cards from my trip West that included the Grand Teton's, Jackson Hole, all of Yellowstone, whitewater rafting in Montana, and all sorts of other awesome stuff.... needlesss to say I'm a little peeved.

Ah, Coupe!! I've been looking forward to your Western adventure in pictures. Think hard! Maybe you left it in a motel room out there. :unsure:

I hope it turns up; meanwhile, if you have others, please share.

• 2 weeks later...

Only had time to take a few pics today... pretty hazy day so sorry if they aren't the best but enjoy :)

Ethyl Corp HQ

Richmond7-21-2006001.jpg

Suntrust Mortgage HQ and UPS Freight HQ

Richmond7-21-2006002.jpg

Richmond7-21-2006003.jpg

Richmond7-21-2006004.jpg

Richmond7-21-2006005.jpg

Vistas!

Richmond7-21-2006006.jpg

Richmond7-21-2006007.jpg

Edgeworth coming along

Richmond7-21-2006008.jpg

Cutter's Ridge

Richmond7-21-2006009.jpg

Plenty of work is being done at Lucky Strike. It just can't really be seen from Cary that much

Richmond7-21-2006010.jpg

And the Philip Morris Research Facility

Richmond7-21-2006011.jpg

Richmond7-21-2006012.jpg

Richmond7-21-2006013.jpg

That's it!

Excellent pics, guys. The skies looks so much bluer in Short Pump than downtown. One of these days, Tommy, snap some inside SPTC as well. I like the shots from Broad Street. The strip mall across from SPTC is mostly new since I was last in the area, tho I seem to remember some activity there.

Coupe, you had great perches for your shots. Could some have been taken from your office? Ethyl headquarters looks super, and the grass is so green! The plaque Weill in Roanoke told us about is at the intersection of 5th and Byrd

When Centennial is up, I'd like to see a shot from the same place in Pic. #5.

I think Vistas has reached the fifth level where there will be a slight set-back for the tower.

Edgeworth looks great (I hope the wood telephone poles on East Cary are coming down).

And Cutters Ridge is nearing completion. World famous Millie's will be their neighborhood bar! And it's good to see work going on at Lucky Strike.

And PM progress is remarkable.

Thanks, gentlemen. :)

It was a pleasure Burt. My 'perch' in the first pics was the top of my parking deck (Crowne Plaza Parking Deck)... It offers a beautiful view of the river, especially in the mornings. If I'm running early in the AM, sometimes I'll park on that side just to take it in. MY building is visible in a couple pics (merril lynch tower :))

The federal courthouse is coming along well also. IT will be beautiful when complete. I would've taken a pic, but didn't have time. Though I lacked quantity, hopefully the few I took sufficed. Just haven't had time lately to take pics. Thanks.

Everytime I see the PM building I think about what it would be like if the "square sections" of the building were stacked up on top of each other. I really wish that the city had not donated so much land to PM. That would have, at least, forced them to build tall instead of so spread out. I also think of the same thing when I look at the SunTrust building in Manchester - it's as if they were planning to build a tall building but because they ended up with more land than they expected they decided to "deconstruct" the building in square sections and spread the building out over all of the property. Does anyone else see it this way too, or is it just me?

Oh, thanks for the photos guys! I love to see new photos - made my day! :)

I really wish that the city had not donated so much land to PM. That would have, at least, forced them to build tall instead of so spread out.

Yeah, I totally agree. While the research facility is obviously a great addition to the downtown area, I hate to see the development of another "mega-block" with no real street life to speak of. Sometimes that part of town reminds me more of an office park than a city.

Agreed, phoo. The buildings in Biotech Park are like fortresses. And with the crossover bridge from garage to hdq, there'll be practically no pedestrian traffic in view down there. The ground level of PM is a foreboding wall. It nice to have it downtown, but it does look very suburban.

Personally, when I think "Biotech" I don't think "Pedestrian friendly" :) though I understand the latters importance in an urban environment.

Eric, perhaps if the city was unable to give that parcel of land at the size, we'd be watching this center be built in North Carolina's research triangle...

I know you want it to be taller, but you've gotta see it for yourself in person, especially from I-64 heading west towards the city.

Nothing says, "Bring the family for a walk in the park!" than a biotech park! It's not meant to be pedestrial friendly and being a biotech park, would you really want a bunch of people walking around? They need security with all the things that they handle.

Yea I agree a biotech park is not meant to be pedestrian freindly. I mean like coupe said would you rather have it built here in Richmond or would you want us throwing another opportunity to the Evil North Carolina it seems like NC takes away everything from us not to mention Charlotte has taken away alot from me alot of my really good friends moved down their when Nations Bank moved down their which is now Bank of America. It makes me mad when NC takes away everything from us.

I also wanted to say I really wish the Richmond Center would come down. That is the ugliest looking thing down their if that thing would get demolished then I think it would make a perfect place for another

high-rise.

Archived