Richmond in Pictures II

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burt, I am positive given a reason to be. I don't ignore reality like a lot of Richmonders tend to. A lot of problems for far too long have been given the "let me turn my back and when I turn around again, it'll be gone" or "let's just ignore it because I don't like it," treatment. When positive things happen, I'm positive. When things don't change and it's the same ol' what's the be positive about? When glas is only half full when it's being filled, when it's half empty when it's being drained. If it's just half... it's just half.

A good day to take pics? Temperature wise, I've been waiting for a day like today, but it's far too cloudy and there are a few spotty showers about for any good pictures.

And why am I at work? :huh:

It's not the people, it's Richmond itself that's allowing historic places to fall. Do you know that Richmond hardly has any early 1800s structures left? Even ACORN can't stop all the demolitions; the city sees that it's just cheaper to erase history and never rebuild a suitable replacement.

I'd be happy if Fulton had houses built like Carver or the Fan but they've decided to place a little bit of suburbia in the city instead.

Coupe, I just finished looking at every picture in Murden's portfolio. I had a grand time reading comments under the fotos that had them. I even read the blogs from Church Hill residents. Greedy as I am, it would have been an extra treat if John could have identified locations more completely.

Hey! I found out from the blogs that the alleged bicycle-riding thief who has plagued Church Hill and Ginter Park is now in police custody.

It's not the people, it's Richmond itself that's allowing historic places to fall. Do you know that Richmond hardly has any early 1800s structures left? Even ACORN can't stop all the demolitions; the city sees that it's just cheaper to erase history and never rebuild a suitable replacement.

I'd be happy if Fulton had houses built like Carver or the Fan but they've decided to place a little bit of suburbia in the city instead.

Well, you are right on that one, but don't forget, alot of houses builded in the south back then were wooden so some maybe weren't savable. And by distroying the old houses it brings more room for development in the city so every single thing wouldn't have to go to the suburbs. Every city does this. And building replacements would put the city in more debt. But I see where your coming from.

Well, you are right on that one, but don't forget, alot of houses builded in the south back then were wooden so some maybe weren't savable. And by distroying the old houses it brings more room for development in the city so every single thing wouldn't have to go to the suburbs. Every city does this. And building replacements would put the city in more debt. But I see where your coming from.

Listen youngin', I'm always right! The thing is a lot of the houses they've demolished recently leave only vacant lots that stay vacant. There's no real plan to redevelop them in most places. A lot of houses were wooden, but wood can still last. A ton of brick houses have been demolished too. Some of the pics I've seen of old Fulton look like the Fan.

Ahhh this WTVR's tower.... I feel like it was built in the early 50's... 53 maybe? It's over 1000ft tall.

It went up in the 50's. Though not a thing of beauty, my guess is that it's far and away the tallest structure in Virginia. Actually, from downtown it sort of looks like it's at the end of Broad street because it is just beyond Belmont Avenue where Broad takes a jog to the right.

Channel 6 at the base of the tower was formerly radio station WMBG. It was the first television station in the South and expanded from its squat modern building to its present size in the 80's (I think). The immediate area on Broad was home to Wakefield Grill (Chicken in the Rough), Orange Julius, The Paddock, a very hip restaurant with dance orchestra now known as Byrum's Lobster House, and Tony's Supper Club just west of Channel 6 which had a band for dancing and presented singers and comics on its small stage. Mind you, all this clubbing activity was before one could buy a mixed drink in Virginia.

That winds up Uncle Burt's Nostalgia lecture for today. :lol:

Thanks! Yeah, I made sure no one was behind me and I slowed down some. I have others like it from July 19. Of course I wouldn't want to crash off of there! But don't worry, I'm a safe driver. I think I have the crane from the to deck.

Tommy, back to work! Hit those books chop chop!

Archived