Richmond in Pictures II

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know Tommy I was going to move their If I had decided to go to Deep Run because my parents originally wanted me to go to Deep Run but I decided to go with my friends to Freeman.

Yeah, Id rather go with friendstoo, than to leave to a new school district.

A bit of an odd photo day, but Ive captured the passing of a hot air balloon this evening.

DSC03836.jpg

DSC03837.jpg

DSC03838.jpg

Tommy, there are 29 pictures in all beginning with Shockoe Bottom. I would be glad to make numbered comments on each (some pics would share numbers). But I don't want to bore readers and take up a lot of space. Let me know what you think.

Of course I wouldnt mind! I dont think others would either :thumbsup: I know Im one of the many that love to read your picture comments :)

OK, Tommy, my lad. I think all your artistic photography deserves some comment. Pictures of VCU Medical and Sun Trust are not among the comments from 1 to 29. But I urge all to look with nostalgia upon those red brick structures because they are not long for this world. VCUMed's 6 or 7 story old Nursing School is already being dismantled. Its replacement is almost completed at 11th and Leigh Streets. The old 18-story art deco red brick West Hospital will soon be on the chopping block to be replaced with a sleek new Medical tower.

NOTE: My numbers begin with the Shockoe Bottom fotos on preceding page.

1. S/E Corner of 17th and East Franklin Street. The building seen behind the STOP sign and across from the Farmer's Market used to house a restaurant called Sam's when the Bottom was strictly a blue-collar domain. I read recently that considerable money has been spent on the old Sam's. Does anyone know who and what occupies it?

2. The 1700 and 1800 blocks of East Franklin. Many of the warehouses are now upscale apartments. Among the most recent conversions is the American Tobacco complex out of view on North 20th street (two blocks up on the left). On the right, and out of sight in the 1800 block is the oldest surviving Masonic Lodge in continuous use in the US. It opened in 1787.

3. Main Street Station and its glorious tower. In the foreground is the old Railroad YMCA building. It now has apartments on upper levels, the elegant Old City Bar (with awning) on the 1st floor and Rosie Connolly's Pub on ground level around the corner on 17th street.

4. This is one of my favorite shots of Monroe Tower ( please note, friends in HR, it's STILL the tallest in the state :P ). I like the scale of the buildings in the background.

5. Beautiful St. Paul's Episcopal Church at 9th and Grace.

6 & 7. Old Richmond Hotel on 9th street at Grace facing Capitol Square. Looks to me the white dental trim line toward the top has been restored, or at least, touched up. It has been a state office building for years and is likely to remain so.

8 & 9. Washington Monument in Cap Sq and old City Hall behind.

10. Historic St. Paul's again. I wish they would restore the spire it once had rather than the rounded cupolla.

11 & 12. James Center on East Cary bounded by 9th, 12th and Canal streets. The skinny appearing building is headquarters for McGuire Woods, the first or second biggest law firm in Virginia and one of the largest in the USA. Wachovia, as visible, occupies another tower. There is much talk of possible expansion in James Center.

13. Sun Trust tower at 10th and Main. When Richmond was still a banking mecca, b.c. (before Charlotte), pre construction plans were to take this building up to 40 floors. It's still one of the tallest at about 29 and the roof sports a green garden.

14, 15, 16 &17. This is what I have always known as the Mutual Building occupying the S/E corner of 9th and Main with entry on 9th. It has a Wall Street look and I believe still has a stock ticker flashing at Main Street level. Isn't it where Scott & Stringfellow Brokerage has its trading floor? It looks to me the building has been washed recently. I don't recall it being so white-ish.

18, 19 & 20. First and Merchant's National Bank Building, one of the city's oldest skyscrapers on the S/W corner of Main and 9th across from the Mutual Building. The Chesapeake and Ohio Railway also had its offices here, and it was the site of my first summer job. As a messenger boy, I used to skitter between the 19th floor here and another C&O building, now gone, near 10th and Canal.

21. This is the entry to the 10-story building on N/W corner of 6th and Main. It is directly across from Centennial's site. I have a notion Mr. Jemal purchased it recently.

22 & 23. The Richmond Free Press, the city's main Afro/American newspaper, occupies this handsome building at N/W corner of Franklin and 5th (across from Penny Lane Pub). Its former tenant was Universal Leaf Tobacco Company.

24 & 25. Second Presbyterian Church (or is it First?) on the east side of 5th between Franklin and Main. It has undergone rejuvenation lately.

26, 27, 28 & 29. TaDaa!!! The abandoned John Marshall Hotel at the N/E corner of 5th and Franklin Streets. Everyone is hopeful that the Virginia Beach developer who purchased it will follow thru with his plan of conversion to condos. I especially like the last shot showing the old rooftop sign.

That's it, Tommy. Enjoy.

Today I took about 200 pics today and I captured a brilliant sunset. If I'm not preoccupied tomorrow or if I don't have a bad day (as I am anticipating), I'll rush editing and upload of the newest pics... of the sunset that is.

Oh and I sprang my ankle taking pics from the 5th St bridge. People always tell me I look down too much and it is in relation to my lack of self-esteem and such, but that's not true! I look down so I can avoid holes and uneven earth. Well I wasn't looking down and my right foot hit a depression in the ground and I almost fell... but my ankle got it. And boy did it hurt for the rest of my stops... but I still did them! I hope it won't give me problems tomorrow.

And I've updated my avatar to one of the Richmond Cold Storage buildings. I'm currently editing those pics from March 26 and I always thought that pic would make a good avatar. So there it is! And I couldn't get rid of the flag.

Archived