Restaurants/Stores Charlotte should have

Temeteron

I believe that Piggy Wigglys are independently owned and operated. So a lot of it depends upon the owner. There are some really nice ones in coastal NC, but as you get inland where there is a lot of poverty, the stores tend to reflect that. However with that said, Piggly Wiggly often serves neighborhoods that would not otherwise have a nearby grocery store.

I tend to like the format of these stores and I think it would go over well in some parts of Charlotte, especially for people who are burned out with Harris Teeter and Foodlion.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fairly new Piggly Wiggly in Sunset Beach, NC is so wonderful! I would love it if they would open up stores like that one in Charlotte. (In-town Charlotte, not only the suburbs!)

Like you said, though, the other ones I've seen in NC have been awful. We had one in Sanford that was not in a great part of town but it has since moved into a vacated Winn Dixie building. I haven't seen it since the move, but I do know that it is independently owned as metro suggested.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, after reading about H&M on here, I visited the one in Georgetown a few weeks ago. I'm gonna have to say I was really disappointed. I'd have to say the best way to describe the clothes I saw is CRAP. I saw maybe two items I'd even consider wearing, and they didn't even have those in more than two sizes. No selection, cheap looking clothes, and ugly design...not sure we need this in town.

I have to say, after reading about H&M on here, I visited the one in Georgetown a few weeks ago. I'm gonna have to say I was really disappointed. I'd have to say the best way to describe the clothes I saw is CRAP. I saw maybe two items I'd even consider wearing, and they didn't even have those in more than two sizes. No selection, cheap looking clothes, and ugly design...not sure we need this in town.

I actually thought H&M was for ladies only. My wife loves them since we went to Paris a while back. Every time we go to real cities our first stop is always to H&M. In fact, we went to Manhattan a couple months ago and we had the cab from Laguardia drop us off at H&M when we saw it and then we walked the rest of the way to visit our friends after she shopped a bit. :). She could care less about UP, but she occassionally asks whether you guys have a scoop on them coming here :).

Jed, like with all clothes, it is a matter of style. Some people like some places, others like other places. Especially with smaller clothing stores, they generally have a set style and you either like it or not. It is also very European and tends to have clothing that fits her size, whereas most American stores don't have as much select in the size 2-4 range.

(Apparently).

In the Restaurants Charlotte should have category, I have always wished Charlotte had a Sticky Fingers in the area. As we make frequent trips to Charleston and Columbia, Sticky Fingers is a great place to get some BBQ without feeling like you are in a cafateria like sonnys, etc. Food is always good and there is also something for the non-bbq lovers.

Well to my surprise last weekend, I saw the new "Sticky Fingers Coming Soon" sign across from the Earth Fare in Ballantyne. The stickfingers.com website say opening Sping 2007. Finally a restuarant that I have been wishing for...and only a couple miles from my house. WooHoo.

Well to my surprise last weekend, I saw the new "Sticky Fingers Coming Soon" sign across from the Earth Fare in Ballantyne. The stickfingers.com website say opening Sping 2007. Finally a restuarant that I have been wishing for...and only a couple miles from my house. WooHoo.

There is a new Sticky Fingers going in the old Uno's restaurant in front of Concord Mills. ;)

H&M is very inconsistent. Sometimes they have awesome stuff, other times not such hot stuff. Keep in mind H&M most of the time is designer clothing for NOTHING. Lagerfeld, Stella, Murakami, Marc, Coco Blanco, many huge designers design or have designed for H&M. Go at certain collection times and you will find awesome stuff. But H&M has A LOT of stuff. To ffind the good stuff, you have to dig.

I'm going to NYC at the end of the month, I'll give a different store a try. It did seem to me that the women's section of this Georgetown store was much larger. It covered half the lower floor with the men's section covering the other half. There was an upper level that said it was all women's, therefore I didn't climb the stairs. Also, I might have been expecting too much! I'm def. willing to give it another shot.

Bottom line, if people like their clothes, and it would be a draw for downtown Charlotte, then I hope they come here...whether I end up shopping there or not.

I'm going to NYC at the end of the month, I'll give a different store a try. It did seem to me that the women's section of this Georgetown store was much larger. It covered half the lower floor with the men's section covering the other half. There was an upper level that said it was all women's, therefore I didn't climb the stairs. Also, I might have been expecting too much! I'm def. willing to give it another shot.

Bottom line, if people like their clothes, and it would be a draw for downtown Charlotte, then I hope they come here...whether I end up shopping there or not.

H&M offers designer clothes at Old Navy Prices. They don't have much in terms of any large/extra-large/long sizes and I think they have a wider selection of women's clothes vs mens.

The lack of sizes is probably due to it's origin in Europe..

We americans come in many different sizes.. :D

H&M offers designer clothes at Old Navy Prices. They don't have much in terms of any large/extra-large/long sizes and I think they have a wider selection of women's clothes vs mens.

The lack of sizes is probably due to it's origin in Europe..

We americans come in many different sizes.. :D

You can say that again lol.....which is why I think they should stop coming out with all these over weight oriented stores (e.g. Torrid, Lane Bryant, Ashley Stewart) because it is encouraging people to keep gaining or not even bother losing weight.....but thats a different subject altogether

You can say that again lol.....which is why I think they should stop coming out with all these over weight oriented stores (e.g. Torrid, Lane Bryant, Ashley Stewart) because it is encouraging people to keep gaining or not even bother losing weight.....but thats a different subject altogether

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My apologies if these have been shared in the past. Charlotte needs:

- An indoor/outdoor public market. Seattle's is amazing and others based on their model have taken off in cities such as Milwaukee and Minneapolis.

- A relocated farmer's market. Let's move it to uptown and possibly combine it with the above idea. It is rather bizzare to drive out to the area near the airport to buy food in a walking environment. Could you imagine uptown with these two items? Live in a condo, walk to get fresh produce and meat from local providers each day....

- More LOCAL coffee shops and micro-roasters. I recently moved here form MN and have had to break it to many Charlotteans that Caribou is a national chain based in MN, not in the south as many had thought.

And this last one will take some massive restructuring of state law but...

- A place to buy high-end spirits. In many other states, specialty shops, like the wine shops here in Charlotte, also cater to high end spirits not commonly found at the local ABC store. I have always found the selection in ABCs to be poor and the whole lack of competition does not help matters.

Archived