Lansing Photo of the Day

Allan

• 1 month later...

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Hannah was most noted for expanding Michigan State from a respected regional undergraduate-oriented institution into a comprehensive national research university, and for helping to get Michigan State into the Big Ten Conference. He was also the first chairman of the United States Commission on Civil Rights. In 28 years (1941-1969), enrollment increased from 15,000 to 38,000.

this statue of John A. Hannah stands between the computer center (pictured) and the Administration Building (you will thank me for not photographing it).

IMG_6191.gif

Edited by statedude3

John Hannah was most noted for expanding Michigan State from a respected regional undergraduate-oriented institution into a comprehensive national research university, and for helping to get Michigan State into the Big Ten Conference. He was also the first chairman of the United States Commission on Civil Rights. In 28 years (1941-1969), enrollment increased from 15,000 to 38,000.

this statue of John A. Hannah stands between the computer center (pictured) and the Administration Building (you will thank me for not photographing it).

IMG_6191.gif

Interesting statue of a great man. A few facts of interest about John Hannah: He was a native of Grand Rapids (my hometown) attended Grand Rapids Junior College and the University of Michigan before receiving a BS from Michigan Agricultural College. (His doctorates were all honorary). He married the daughter of the president of MSC immediately before him (don't think that got him the job.) He became president of MSC at the age of 39.

I cannot imagine a president of a major university today not having advanced degrees or taking office in his 30s. Yet, John Hannah accomplished perhaps more than any president of any university in the State of Michigan, including Presidents Tappan and Angell of U-M.

• 3 months later...

Well, LCA (GM Lansing Car Assembly) really didn't add anything to any skyline, but it's certainly a huge, gaping hole in the cityscape, now. What's bugging me is that the city and GM are being so incredibly tight-lipped about ideas that they have for the land. The public doesn't know if they are looking to keep it industrial, make it a residential neighborhood, make it a mixed used urban neighborhood...etc

Wentworth Park - Late Summer 2007: included in this historic park that was the site of the worst hotel fire in Lansing's history (Hotel Kerns fire) is a piece of the destroyed NYC World Trade Center. Something else to note is how far down the Grand River is in this picture. At the time the photo was taken the river was lowered to inspect the BWL North Lansing dam in Old Town.

2141223513_e42a7d6f4f_o.jpg

Of course we all know that the LCA area was the state fairgrounds, long before GM took the land over. I think it is important that any development in that area incorporate the history of the site. It would be great to see a park along the river, maybe a "riverwalk of history" or something that recognizes the importance of that site. That area of town is where I grew up, and it leaves a hole in my heart when I visit home and see that big hole which was once the center of the automotive world! At one time the city of Lansing produced more vehicles than any other city in the world...including Detroit.

One thing that has always bothered me is the lack of recognition from the city of Lansing in regards to the local history. I know that the city is not very old, by most standards, but I would argue that for a city of it's size the history is as rich as can be. The LCA area offers a tremendous opportunity--a blank slate in the middle of the city. There is an opportunity to do something to recognize the past, while looking to the future.

Of course we all know that the LCA area was the state fairgrounds...

Well I didn't know that, but I do now. Thanks for that info :thumbsup:

I would be surprised if a plan for that site came about that didn't include public access along the river. It seems to be pretty standard everywhere these days to include public space along rivers in new developments, and that's a good thing.

I do wonder how much contamination is on that site and how long it will take to clean up.

Well I didn't know that, but I do now. Thanks for that info :thumbsup:

I would be surprised if a plan for that site came about that didn't include public access along the river. It seems to be pretty standard everywhere these days to include public space along rivers in new developments, and that's a good thing.

I do wonder how much contamination is on that site and how long it will take to clean up.

My concern would not be how long decontamination would take...rather, how much $$$ it would take. That site is massive.

Im not sure if its been mentioned here before, but doesnt the railway have some kind of impact on how the land will be used. At least, that is, what will be developed near the river?

Side note. This is my 10th post. Im excited to open up more controls...

Edited by beatneck

State fair grounds site? Now that is interesting. I, for one, could never understand why the state fair is held in Detroit. State fairs are for the farm folks, not sophisticated urbanites. Most people in West Michigan went to the Ionia Free Fair and ignored the shindig on 8 Mile Road.

It would be nice if Lansing could reclaim the state fair for itself. State fairs in other Midwest states are held in capital cities (i.e., Ohio in Columbus, Illinois in Springfield).

As someone born in Detroit, the fact that the state fair was moved to Detroit gives it a very unique feel, and unique in a good way. I wouldn't change it's location for anything. Michigan counties have done fine with their county fairs, anyway.

Michigan State Capitol

2138550485_f6922f7f21_o.jpg

Edited by Lmichigan

As someone born in Detroit, the fact that the state fair was moved to Detroit gives it a very unique feel, and unique in a good way. I wouldn't change it's location for anything. Michigan counties have done fine with their county fairs, anyway.

Michigan State Capitol

2138550485_f6922f7f21_o.jpg

I guess that when 50% of the folks in Michigan lived within 12 miles of the Ambassador Bridge, having the state fair in Detroit was the right call. And if you lived in the Detroit area, great. But given that most of the competitive activities at a state fair (animal raising and judging, pie baking, etc. etc.) are essentially rural in character, the Michigan State Fair always seemed like an anamoly, and not in the same class as state fairs in sister states like Ohio or Illinois. My family never went to the state fair, and my Dad was a wannabe farmer and my Mom a farmer's daughter.

By the way, not all counties have county fairs. Kent County, for example, does not.

Even with the massive growth outstate since the 40's-50's, the population center of Michigan is still in the southeast of the state (in Shiawasee County between Flint and Lansing). I really like that the fair has the unique feeling of being a farmers convention of sorts in the heart of a major metropolitan area, where I was born put aside.

Even with the massive growth outstate since the 40's-50's, the population center of Michigan is still in the southeast of the state (in Shiawasee County between Flint and Lansing). I really like that the fair has the unique feeling of being a farmers convention of sorts in the heart of a major metropolitan area, where I was born put aside.

Well, there are state fairs held in largest, non-capital cities. Wisconsin's state fair is held in West Allis, a suburb of Milwaukee, and Pennsylvania's is held in Philadelphia. And, given that Michigan's agricultural sector is, compared to sisters states to the south and west, not relatively as important, Detroit is probably as good a place as any to hold the shindig. It is interesting, though, that the state's population center has moved so far north and west from where it was formerly. At present population trends, I wonder when Oakland County will be larger than Wayne County.

• 2 weeks later...