Lansing Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great pictures! How long has Dalmatians been there? I noticed it for the first time when I was visiting my old stopping grounds a few weeks back. I think I'll have to stop by and check it out when I'm in town later this week! I love the new look that REOtown is taking on. I just wish they could work their way down South Street with some much needed improvements. I think a key to this would be doing something with the old train depot that went from restaurant to a night club about 10 years ago. As far as I know it has been empty ever since.

Great pictures! How long has Dalmatians been there? I noticed it for the first time when I was visiting my old stopping grounds a few weeks back. I think I'll have to stop by and check it out when I'm in town later this week! I love the new look that REOtown is taking on. I just wish they could work their way down South Street with some much needed improvements. I think a key to this would be doing something with the old train depot that went from restaurant to a night club about 10 years ago. As far as I know it has been empty ever since.

Thanks! I don't know about Dalmatians, that was the first time I noticed it as well. I'm sure one of the Lansing natives will be able to say though.

The old Grand Trunk Depot is still vacant and looking horrible unfortunately.

2786619147_0ace784a65_b.jpg

2787476478_c818019f55_b.jpg

2787476668_1f69b99b01_b.jpg

There are some deteriorating train cars on Washington Avenue as well.

2787488512_759fc78045_b.jpg

Of course its all a matter of opinion, but yes... while the Fleetwood puts out a good spread, I have to give the nod to the Firehouse Grill.

It is a matter of opinion but I'll trust yours and give Firehouse a try next time I have breakfast in Lansing. I always like trying new places.

Interesting picture, is that under 496?

2799838472_d935004466_b.jpg

2800421664_c7f435ee80_b.jpg

2800421938_c0cbd064c3.jpg

2799591597_4af1c22c2e_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There was never any formal proposal to remove the dam (thus making the fish ladder useless), but it gets thrown around every time they inspect the dam. The calls do seem to be gaining more traction in the community, though, especially since there has been a slew of dam removals in the state over the past few years. The North Lansing Dam particularly doesn't make any functional sense, anymore, because not only is it not a power-producing dam, but the pool it created for the Ottawa Street Station isn't needed since that plant has been shut down for 15 years now. Furthermore, removing it is really getting traction with environmentalist, since removing the dam would actually make the river more healthy.

Funny that the river was brought up, because I came here to post some photos I took of the very full Grand River the other day:

River Trail beneath the Michigan Avenue Bridge

2860916403_7f73d1100d_o.jpg

North Lansing Dam nearly completely submerged

2860916385_70eedb4170_o.jpg

2860916369_55675f9972_o.jpg

Underwater canoe launch

2860916379_bf3f627f49_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...